Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year or so ago my 13 year old son surprised me by saving up and getting me a good knife. It means the world to me because he purchased it for me. The only drawback to the knife is the Ballistic Nylon sheath. I have been looking for makers but they tend to ask for $30-$50. Is there anyone who makes sheathes in Kydex or leather at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
210 Posts
DIY with your son

order kydex
heat 2 sheets in oven
take out and press around knife with syrofoam and wood sandwich
have your son help
good bonding moment - literally
after it cools then trim
drill and pop rivet
or epoxy
or both

·
Impimus Maximus
174 Posts
I would go with leather. Renewable resource so there will always be replacements. Very durable if made well. Leather will help keep the blade dry, especially if you oil the inside lightly. And tooled/ dyed leather looks sweet; only so much you can do to ornament kydex.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
... bonding moment...
*snicker*

You probably do not need a kit; it is not that difficult. Shape some patches and sew them together or fold over a patch and sew. Browse around, there are lots of HOWTOs and examples.

Thrift stores often have a variety of leather belts you can chop and trim to make a simple patch sheath. Sometimes you can even find ones with tooling. Tack shops sometimes have leathers for sale and may be willing to order in something for you. Independent cobblers are often willing to help with projects like these. They can provide the leather and, after you form it and tack it together, can run it through their industrial sewing machine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have this same knife. I don't have a sheath though. I found mine in the mountains out side of Las Vegas sticking out of the dirt on a jeep trail.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was probably used to dig the jeep out LOL! Seriously though it is the smallest fixed blade I own but you just can't kill this thing. I had to chop the heads off some nails to make some fishing hook on a camping trip. It didn't even scratch the finish on the blade. I then cut some branches and cleaned the smaller branches off them for poles. After we were done we cleaned the fish with it and it still cut like a laser. He got it from Wal-Mart for $35 and it out cuts my Cold steel and my $300 custom. It's ONLY draw back is their crappy designed sheath.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts