Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hunkerin' in the Bunker
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own five kunai, which are ancient Japanese tools with numerous uses. If you don't know what they are, wiki has a good article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunai . I know the whole "ninjafail" thing is constantly debated on here, and I want to avoid that. I just wanted some honest opinions on whether or not everyone here thinks they'd make good tools/weapons in a TEOTWAWKI situation. I've played around with them, and found that aside from good traditional fighting/throwing weapons (Which they are), these things make good field expedient spear heads, are excellent for spearfishing, and are okay for emergency screwdrivers, chisels, and scrapers. I even think that if a sturdy enough model is used, they could make an emergency piton.

Am I overstating them, or do you think I've rediscovered an antique but noteworthy survival tool? *Cringing and getting ready for the ninja jokes and martial arts arguments* :upsidedown:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Naruto has destroyed the world! Kunai were gardening equipment, didn't have sharp edges and weren't meant to be thrown. Real ones were also rather heavy. Back in the day (in Japan), you wouldn't have stood out carrying one of those which is what a real ninja would have wanted. Only problem is we are not in Japan and in the modern era. There are so many other tools that could do the job of a kunai such as a hand trowel. Sharpen the edges and you've basically got a tool fulfilling a similar role. I say may as well buy a good e-tool and sharpen the edges for all your digging/stabbing needs. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Japanese tools and weapons, but there are just so many things out there that do the job better. As a matter of fact, everytime I think of kunai I think of itachi-onna herself, Misao Makimachi from Rurouni Kenshin. Still, being able to throw something is useful, but don't you think that same weight could be taken up with a good knife or being able to throw something much smaller, faster,accurate, and effective? Especially out of a 3-5 in. barrel?

·
Hunkerin' in the Bunker
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ones I have are like the originals (from what I read), and are built of thick, heavy soft iron. Unlike the Naruto-esque wannabe superweapons, these ARE indeed dull on the edges. I know they could never replace my firearms, or even my USMC KaBar in an emergency situation, but the question I was really asking was "because of their shape and design, couldn't they make a handy addition to a bug out or survival kit?" Like I said, they make better spearheads than my KaBar, and are a bit quieter than my Mosin Nagant.

I feel I should apologize for starting a thread about a "ninja" weapon, even if it was well-meaning. I feel as though I'm opening the proverbial can o' worms. For sake of argument, I practice regularly with swords and knives (katas, throwing, etc), as well as with my firearms, and they all have their niche in certain situations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts