Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I got my first kukri, a 15.5" panawal angkhola model with a 10.5" blade. Up until then, I had tried various machetes and leukus, but I find my kukri to be in a whole different league. I was chopping through frozen pine last weekend to process firewood, and the knife was chewing through the wood like a chainsaw. :D: It also split/batoned nicely and made passable shavings. The knife is a serious contender to becoming a regular part of my gear loadout.

So my question to those of you who own/use kukris is: What do you use them for? Bushcraft? Woodworking? Martial arts? Don't hesitate to be specific. :D:

Thanks in advance.

bmatt

Attachments

·
V
21,713 Posts
Generally its my large camp knife, I carry when not taking an axe. I only have a small Khukri 9" blade it manages all the camp wood cutting chores quite well ( I have my eye on a slightly bigger model) I have used it in food production before although it takes a certain knack I havent aquired yet to do with ease.

I dont know about using it for martial arts I reckon the sight of someone pi**ed off wielding one would put the crappers up most sheeple :D:

·
I love this *****
33,883 Posts
About a week ago I got my first kukri, a 15.5" panawal angkhola model with a 10.5" blade. Up until then, I had tried various machetes and leukus, but I find my kukri to be in a whole different league. I was chopping through frozen pine last weekend to process firewood, and the knife was chewing through the wood like a chainsaw. :D: It also split/batoned nicely and made passable shavings. The knife is a serious contender to becoming a regular part of my gear loadout.

So my question to those of you who own/use kukris is: What do you use them for? Bushcraft? Woodworking? Martial arts? Don't hesitate to be specific. :D:

Thanks in advance.

bmatt
I'm pretty much stuck using my other knives for camp tools. So far, my Kukri is just a nice part of my collection. I've yet to actually use it. But after reading your post, I suppose I ought to see what it can do.

Reactions: Aussie1 and bmatt

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, guys.

AJ: You've never used yours? Tsk, tsk. Take that baby out and give her a spin. I bet you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have one I carried threw 3 alaskan winters while serving in the Infantry.Mine got used by the whole squad for evrything from clearing brush.chopping fire wood ,to prying open ammo crates and it never failed me. It and an Ontario air force survival were all I ever used .I just ordered some upgraded versions from Kukrihouse in Nepal .Can't wait to get my hands on them and test fire them I would have to say mine has been used more as a utility/survival with a little marital art/combat throw in for good measure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am sooo jealousof bmatt.

I've been drooling over a Nepalese Kukri for what feels like the better part of my adult life. I love the raw Panawal from Kukri House.

Check out the SUK too. Right now they are buy one get one, and at 11 bucks that rivals a Mora.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have a old indian kukhri that I have used to clear lots fo fenceline over the years. Split firewood, set up a camp. I have gone through several sheaths since the oringinal broke. I like the way it sets in my hand.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My order from Khukuri House came in yesterday (16 business days from Nepal not to bad). Folks if you are at all interested in a QUALITY Kuri you need to check out K.H.Now to the good stuff.I ordered 3 kuris ,the Afghan warrior ,the cammo &the Max-Expedition.The A.W is a nofrills work horse finish in desert colors smaller than some but really a nice piece,The Cammo another work horse in OD finish even includes a compass.BUT the real knife is the Max ,it looks like my old Kuri on STEROIDS ,it is possibly the most awsome knife I have ever had my hands on.I have not had time to do any testing ,just wanted to get out first impressions .Working on getting a digital camera so I can do some pixx.More to follow !!

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
I don't have one I have always understood that a Kukris is a Ghurka Fighting knife. I figure the folks withthe best answers on this forum may be the Brits with military service who have gotten to know a Ghurka or two.

While I find it an interesting knife I'll stick with my K-Bar.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You are right TP .For anyone interested in more on the Gurkas and their knifes check out the Khukuri House site ,it is run by former Ghurkas and is the offical supplier of their knifes.I figured out a long time ago that on thing like knifes motorcycles ,trucks, women (not necessarly in that order) and any of the other finer things in life ,Everyone has their own preferances !!

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
You are right TP .For anyone interested in more on the Gurkas and their knifes check out the Khukuri House site ,it is run by former Ghurkas and is the offical supplier of their knifes.I figured out a long time ago that on thing like knifes motorcycles ,trucks, women (not necessarly in that order) and any of the other finer things in life ,Everyone has their own preferances !!
I would like a traditional Bowie that is well made and hand crafted.....It's just the Texan in me.....Some day I'll be able to afford one.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The only other knife that I have had my hands on that impressed me more than the Max mention earlier ,was a custom made coffin handled Bowie and I wish I could remember the makers name ( oldtimers catching up ).If you like a big knife like a bowie you would really like the Max it has that same impressiveness ?intimidation factor that a bowie has. By the way one of my other carry setups is a Specplus SP-5 bowie with a Sykes/Fairbain attached.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have one I have always understood that a Kukris is a Ghurka Fighting knife. I figure the folks withthe best answers on this forum may be the Brits with military service who have gotten to know a Ghurka or two.

While I find it an interesting knife I'll stick with my K-Bar.
Ka-Bars and kukris are in two different leagues. I don't have anything against Ka-Bars at all, I'm just saying they are nowhere near the same animal. My kukri weighs 1.75 pounds and can compete with a small axe in the chopping arena. It was designed to be a heavy chopper, whereas the Ka-Bar is smaller and lighter so as to be (possibly) more versatile. The K could almost be an accessory knife to the kukri, though it'd be a bit big for that.

Also, while kukris are used for fighting, they are also used throughout Nepal for farming, wood processing, food processing and other everyday tasks.

EDIT: One main difference between the Ka-Bar and the kukri is the thickness. My kuk is 1/2" thick at the spine near the handle and 3/8" thick at the spine at the angle change.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You really need to look at the Max -Exp if you like your kuri ,you'll love the Max its the regular just overbuilt almost to the point of overkill.It is one awsome knife.I understand what you mean with the K-bar.The Infantry squad (4 man) I carried a AF survival ,1 a K-bar black handle .1 a Gerber Mark 1 &seems like the oter guy had a Puma Skinner .we then carried my Kuri as a back-up.Guess which one got used the most.I ended up using my AF mostly for eating C-rats and using the Kuri for any real work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My khukuri is similar to the British Army model. Use it for bushcraft, mostly as a light chopper for shelter poles or firewood. Basically, it does for me what some people use a camp hatchet for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am thinking of getting the Coldsteel khukri, no the expensive one but rather the utility one for about $24. It looks pretty sturdy, but it seems the black paint comes off and I dont know how I'm gonna sharpen that blade. I struggle with my other knives that dont have straight edges, like the Emerson Commander. Also, I have a panga, which I got for about $8 at a tool shop, dont see what the kukhri can do other than batoning.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts