Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
best? Kukri house. original contractor. had one for years. others i like? BK Rinehardt Kukri and any of 100 knives that took the cue of a bent blade from the kukri. a excellent one is the Condor Kukri knife. BUT don't get confused between display Kukri's and use Kukri's big difference. the stronger model is the panawal variant, for heavy use. they come with a chakmak and a karda as well. there is power in that blade shape. learn to use it correctly.:eek:

Attachments

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
In fact, Yes I do. I am kind of OCD that way. I could run normal for a year, silent and rationed for about 3. with me knives are a passion, but not to collect, but to use. they are a tool. sure I could go buy the 8$ 3/8 ratchet at home depot, and it would break in about 3 months (with me) or I could use the snap on one i bought 25 years ago, (with the rebuild kit for it in the top drawer of the box) and the quality will keep on going.

only the individual can decide if they want to follow the disposable society, or are buying for the long haul.

·
Hillbilly By***!
1,144 Posts
I own several and the best one was the Ghurka and Co AEOF I got from Nepal.
I had to have a sheath made for it but it was amazing! I traded it off like an idiot and I need to order another. My 2nd place is my Kabar Kukri, its well built and takes a beating well but the quality on them is hit and miss. I'd get one from Nepal full tang AEOF and make a sheath for it and be done.

·
Snowman
25 Posts
In my opinion you can't really get a kukri that's better made than the ones made in Nepal, where the kukri originally comes from.

Check out these couple of companies.

http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

They're the real deal and well worth the money.
Rally? How so? I would think that the quality of a knife depends on the steel quality and heat treating. Sounds like you have never been to Nepal - nothing there can beat modern technology even remotely. Unless you are willing to believe in fairytales.

·
Hillbilly By***!
1,144 Posts
Rally? How so? I would think that the quality of a knife depends on the steel quality and heat treating. Sounds like you have never been to Nepal - nothing there can beat modern technology even remotely. Unless you are willing to believe in fairytales.
Lol! You don't really know anything about blacksmithing do you?
People pay a buttload of money for blades to be made the old way.
Modern technology will never beat an old world forge and a man that knows how to run that old world forge. The guys in Nepal are old world craftsman and I have handled about 20 kukris from there and the craftsmanship is phenomenal, so phenomenal that British Ghurkas who can get knives from anywhere in the world get their blades they carry to war made there by that fairytale technology..

·
Snowman
25 Posts
Lol! You don't really know anything about blacksmithing do you?
People pay a buttload of money for blades to be made the old way.
Modern technology will never beat an old world forge and a man that knows how to run that old world forge. The guys in Nepal are old world craftsman and I have handled about 20 kukris from there and the craftsmanship is phenomenal, so phenomenal that British Ghurkas who can get knives from anywhere in the world get their blades they carry to war made there by that fairytale technology..
I see you on the other hand know a lot about steels, and Nepal.. Maybe go there one day and meet those "old world craftsman" :)

Until I have a scientific proof I will keep to modern technology thank you very much! The technology which studied steels under electonic microscope and established some solid facts, rather some mumbo-jumbo about "old world forge".

Good luck with your choice between AUS-8 and 420HC in another topic bro! :) Edited: that was not you who was considering those two stills!! my mistake :)

·
Hillbilly By***!
1,144 Posts
I see you on the other hand know a lot about steels, and Nepal.. Maybe go there one day and meet those "old world craftsman" :)

Until I have a scientific proof I will keep to modern technology thank you very much! The technology which studied steels under electonic microscope and established some solid facts, rather some mumbo-jumbo about "old world forge".

Good luck with your choice between AUS-8 and 420HC in another topic bro! :)
I own about 150 knives, many costing more than some things that go bang.
I have forgotten more about good steel than you know. I'm 44 years old and grew up off grid in the hills of Kentucky and served as a Marine. This ain't some modern past time for me. I grew up this way.
FYI: 420HC was the original modern outdoor steel.. Many of us non suburban folks who don't coach soccer grew up using Bucks made out of 420HC and have lost count of the amount of of critters we've butchered with 420HC and its never let us down.
Go back to your soccer and your minivan hippy.. When this all goes to hell, the old world ways are all that's gonna matter. If you haven't figured that out yet, you ain't gonna make it to the show.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Good luck with your choice between AUS-8 and 420HC in another topic bro! :) Edited: that was not you who was considering those two stills!! my mistake :)

Heres some facts.. slowly folded metal that is slowly hand carbonated beats industrialised methods any day. There is a plethora of modern science to back that up

·
Snowman
25 Posts
I own about 150 knives, many costing more than some things that go bang.
I have forgotten more about good steel than you know. I'm 44 years old and grew up off grid in the hills of Kentucky and served as a Marine. This ain't some modern past time for me. I grew up this way.
FYI: 420HC was the original modern outdoor steel.. Many of us non suburban folks who don't coach soccer grew up using Bucks made out of 420HC and have lost count of the amount of of critters we've butchered with 420HC and its never let us down.
Go back to your soccer and your minivan hippy.. When this all goes to hell, the old world ways are all that's gonna matter. If you haven't figured that out yet, you ain't gonna make it to the show.
Touche! You have proven the superiority of Nepali made knives by mentioning your age - it is a miracle!

But seriously, looks like except for calling me "hippy in a minivan" and banging your chest you have nothing to say.

I will not stoop down to your level. Enjoy your 420HC blades :) and come back when you have anything constructive to say.

·
Snowman
25 Posts
Heres some facts.. slowly folded metal that is slowly hand carbonated beats industrialised methods any day. There is a plethora of modern science to back that up
Traditional Khukri is not folded though. But you know it, right?

BTW - if you are buying a damascus khukri coming from that area, chances are you are buying a "made in china" folded steel.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.