Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend, I saw an old 70's generator out of a motor home for sale that doesn't run. I picked it up for $80.00. The guy said it ran a couple of years ago, now it won't start. Most small engines I pick up just need the carb cleaned out or the points cleaned and set. It is a Kohler powerplant model 4CM21. It is rated at 4000 watts. The thing weighs about 300lbs. and has a 10hp Kohler engine. Getting the engine going won't be a problem for me. The problem is that I have no wire schematic. I can see where the 12 battery hooks up for the electric start, but I don't see where the 120AC output leads need to be hooked up. If anyone has some experience with these, your knowlege sure would be appreciated. It also has a harness for remote starting. Even the choke has a solinoid on it. I am really excited about this project. This is exactly what I need to power my house in an emergency. I have searched online, but can't seem to find just what I need to wire this thing.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on the project. I removed and cleaned out the carb, cleaned the spark plug, ran new fuel lines and battery cables. It started right off. I plugged it into a fridge, but it seemed like the power level was low. The light flickered alot like it needed more. I don't know if the genny is not producing enough, or if it is the 50' extention cord causing a voltage drop. I need to remember to bring my volt meter home from work to see if it's putting out 115v. I plugged a 500 watt work light into it. I was messing with the throttle linkage and raise the RPMs up for a few seconds. The light didn't like that. It blew the bulb out, so I'm thinking my voltage has to be close to correct if a short burst in engine speed fried the bulb.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Rat- a 50' cord can eat up the juice. Make sure its large enough gauge wire.
talon-out

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like a fun project to me too. If your voltage is fulctuating under such a light load, you may want to replace your regulator or just replace the electronic circuit board. At 80 bucks you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
If you can get me the engine spec. numbers and genset numbers I might be able to get you the info. I am not really familar with the Kohler genset on motor homes. I work on outdoor equipment so I have access to manuals on line that are not easy for the public to grab.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts