Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,552 Posts
Best is both knowledge/experience and stockpiles.

Yes, knowledge can't be taken from you, but by the same token, you can't eat it, either.

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Freebased in the middle of the night?

Can knowledge and skills be taken away from you? Not in the same way as a physical object. But I do not personally believe that is the critical aspect for Survival and Preparedness. A survival or crisis situation can take place at any time or place. And it often takes place when you least expect it to. You may have to face the situation empty handed.

Its up to YOU. Not your gear or possessions. You have to make it through this situation by using your skills, experience, knowledge, endurance, strength; mind set and will to survive. The idea that stockpiling supplies would be the best way to prepare I do not share. Equipment can be very useful, no question about that. But it’s YOU that must be able to utilize this equipment to its full potential.

Knowledge is also about understanding risks and what you can do to reduce them. Know your local terrain, climate, seasonal variations; setting, culture and making them work to your advantage. Is also about knowing yourself, your limitation and actively working on strengthening your weaknesses.

·
Walks on the wild side.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, good to have it in your head AND in your hands. Do it all. I just laugh at these pitiful, soft, domesticated chumps who would be dead if they were ever separated from their stockpiled goodies. Lame. Cracks me up!

Thanks for playing. :)

·
Walks on the wild side.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A survival or crisis situation can take place at any time or place. And it often takes place when you least expect it to. You may have to face the situation empty handed.
...This is also why I put a lot of emphasis on EDC. For example, I've worked at several small, organic farms. The farmers/workers all travel into the city/town at some point. It's where money changes hands. It's where schools are. It's where markets and shoe stores and tools are. It's where LOTS of things that farmers need are. No?

Just one example. There are many examples of being potentially cut off or driven away from preps. I'm pretty sure there were some people who prepped in Alabama last year before a tornado hit & made all that prepping relatively insignificant or inaccessible.

I even heard one hyperdomesticated guy on YouTube talking about how he'd die in his home defending his preps before he'd leave. Silly. Run and live another day. Can't shoot everybody.

·
Walks on the wild side.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...Also, I had city dwellers in mind when I first posted this. There are LOTS of people who would rather live in the sticks, but can't afford to.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Knowledge is power, but it takes time to grow food. Even if you know how to hunt and forage, how many other people who aren't on this particular site know how to do the same things? People who don't know will learn to survive even after tshtf. There's also dumb luck. Knowledge and skill are necessary, but having some stores that buy time is just as important.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've got some Viking blood in me and you know those guys didn't take any wooden nickles. I'm hoping it'll kick in more when the time comes. I've collected knowledge and still learning. I've grown up with nature at my back door, I can live as a cave man or a prepped man it makes no dif. to me.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
Yeah, good to have it in your head AND in your hands. Do it all. I just laugh at these pitiful, soft, domesticated chumps who would be dead if they were ever separated from their stockpiled goodies. Lame. Cracks me up!

Thanks for playing. :)
So are you sayin you have no preps and will depend only on your Daniel Boone skills or are you going to be a raider?

·
Walks on the wild side.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have preps. I just think it's silly to depend solely on preps when there are many situations that might separate me from them. Also, in a long-term collapse, people who do not know how to gather or produce their own consumables will be totally out of luck.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
I have preps. I just think it's silly to depend solely on preps when there are many situations that might separate me from them. Also, in a long-term collapse, people who do not know how to gather or produce their own consumables will be totally out of luck.
Congradulations, you prep! Please consider that some folks here cannot depend only on skills and brainpower to survive! Some of us have physical handicapps and others have mental handicapps, so our only alternative is to stockpile and hope. So we dont need a condescending viewpoint from someone who thinks he can walk on water! Have a bad day!:mad:

·
Walks on the wild side.
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not picking on handicapped people. Just encouraging folks to do more things in the range of primitive skills if they are able to. I only intended to sass the people who sassed me. Take care & stay safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.