Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What the title says. Does camo matter to deer if you're out there bowhunting with your pack on?

This will make or break my decision on which pack to buy as one does not come in camo, but the one with camo costs more/weighs more.

Trying to weigh the costs/benefits.

How big are you on camo with regards to bears and moose seeing and charging you as you step through the forest?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am a bowhunter. I think camo does matter when hunting with a bow. No so much when hunting with a rifle.....depending on the terrain.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a bowhunter. I think camo does matter when hunting with a bow. No so much when hunting with a rifle.....depending on the terrain.
Do you climb trees as a bowhunter? If so, how much in your pack can you climb a tree with? I'm looking at a pack that can haul 70-120 lbs. and weighs 9.1 lbs by itself. I've given up on getting a customized pack due to expense - I ain't spending over $1200 on a pack. That's where I draw the line. $500-600 is reasonable.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Seeing as I wear an orange safety vest and hat I don't see camo as a necessity. Scent coverage and noise discipline I find much more important. I crossbow hunt and also use regular compound bow besides the rifle hunting. Even with a rifle I try to get within 50 yards of my target. The times I've been spotted have been due to my fault, I made noise or had the wind change and I wasn't wearing any scent cover. Some animals have some form of color blindness, I believe deer and boar both fall into this group.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I assume you are using your pack not as a hunting only pack. I bow hunt and climb trees but I have a hunting only pack which I paid 30$ for online at sportsman guide. I keep my field dressing gear in it plus my sent control products range finder compass gps flashlight and emergency survival equipment etc. It weighs 25lbs packed I always use a pull rope to pull my gear and bow up after I climb up the tree. Unless you are wanting to use one pack for everything I don’t see putting that much money in a hunting pack IMHO. As far as camo goes I believe it is nessasary to break ones outline while hunting.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
What the title says. Does camo matter to deer if you're out there bowhunting with your pack on?

This will make or break my decision on which pack to buy as one does not come in camo, but the one with camo costs more/weighs more.

Trying to weigh the costs/benefits.

How big are you on camo with regards to bears and moose seeing and charging you as you step through the forest?

I think camo cloth is $4 a square yard at Wally-world. Buy the pack you want and make a simple cover for it from the camo cloth. If you don't sew that same sewing dept at Wally World has sticky backed velcro or "Stitch Witch" (an heat activated glue product- use an iron) to bind the seams together.

We're survivalists here... adapt, modify, persevere... Take what you find and make it your own.

Allan

·
Registered
410 Posts
Camo???

The main use of camo is to break up the hard lines that are rarely seen in the wild. Bright orange camo will work, due to most animals not seeing in the same color spectrum as humans. As long as you do not make any quick movements or noise, camo works much better than just one solid color.

While hunting I use a version of my Ghillie suit, just to help break up my outline a little more than regular camo. Plus, it covers alot of my gear. I do not need a full Ghillie suit while hunting, so I made one that covers my head and neck area, sleeves, and down my back to my waistline. This helps break up my torso outline, and blends me in with most of my surroundings. I can also cover any pack I carry, and my rifle or bow.

Scent cover, scent cover, scent cover.......enough said.

The new military ACU battle dress uniform is awesome, hell, that is the main reason I am re-enlisting in the Army, just to get me a few of those ;)

IMPEACH my future boss now!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do you climb trees as a bowhunter? If so, how much in your pack can you climb a tree with? I'm looking at a pack that can haul 70-120 lbs. and weighs 9.1 lbs by itself. I've given up on getting a customized pack due to expense - I ain't spending over $1200 on a pack. That's where I draw the line. $500-600 is reasonable.
A question, how much bowhunting gear are you taking that will weigh 120lbs?

Okay, first, I find it easier to bow hunt from a tree. Deer have a certain range of vision and if you can get yourself above the vision range they don't see you as easily unless you are moving around a great deal. Second I don't climb with a pack. I climb with a rope and then pull up what I need after I have put myself into place. So it's not what you can climb with but what you can pull up.

If you are just looking for a pack to deer or bear hunt with I wouldn't worry too much about the color if you have some other way of breaking up the silhouette. Most prey animals have eyes that are meant to see in low light so they see less color than we do. A few leaves or strips of cloth haing off the pack will break up the silhouette as well or better than a camo color. If you are white your face will probably stand out more than your pack will. Camo splotches just makes it easier to break up your silhouette.

My bow pack cost about 40 bucks or so. I agree with you that I wouldn't pay over $1200 for a bow hunting pack. Paying that for a hunting pack means it would be cheaper to buy a half a steer and have it trimmed for you. That's a darn expensive deer you're hunting if you pay that amount just for the pack.

blt

·
Registered
106 Posts
The new ACU uniforms are awsome.....as long as you're sitting in an office. If you're out beatin feet, forget it. They only last about 2 or 3 months, then youre SOL. But, the camo pattern works really well. I just wish the uniforms were more durable. The old BDU's were way more durable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Camoflauge matters only so much. Mostly noise discipline, and having the discipline to sit still matter the most. Deer will come around and do their normal thing, as long as you're still and don't stink like a human too bad. Other game on the other hand, for instance turkey, have EXCELLENT eye sight, and camoflauge matters very much, and even more so with movement discipline. But, as was mentioned previously. You can make a camoflauge cover to go over your pack. The military uses a style thats kind of like a giant camoflauge hair net. Its got elastic around the edges and it just slips right on...it works pretty well, as far as holding on to the pack. I would just leave it sitting on the ground when you climb into the tree though. As far as buying a pack? 9lbs is heavy, try and find one alot lighter. You may have tried it on with alot of weight in it, and it felt alright walking around a room. But try walking 15 miles with it. Thats about how far you can walk in a day if you're not humpin it fast. When you live out of a ruck, every ounce matters.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I think camo cloth is $4 a square yard at Wally-world. Buy the pack you want and make a simple cover for it from the camo cloth. If you don't sew that same sewing dept at Wally World has sticky backed velcro or "Stitch Witch" (an heat activated glue product- use an iron) to bind the seams together.

We're survivalists here... adapt, modify, persevere... Take what you find and make it your own.

Allan
:eek: BRILLIANT!! simply BRILLIANT!! good idea

if your pack is molly heres an idea take some burlap shread it and wash it get it to strips of threads and stick it in some of the molly gear attachments slots on the outside to break up the lines and color if you need to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts