Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for books or websites with information on knot tying. Any set of knot tying skills that someone in a survival situation would benefit from is what I'm after.

I have found a few sites, none of which I like. Do any of you seasoned survivalists have any books to recommend?

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are a few pretty cool apps for the Iphone that show you alot of different knots. Its fun to have it while sitting in the deer stand and memorizing different knots with P-Cord

·
You looking at me!
4,027 Posts
I'm looking for books or websites with information on knot tying. Any set of knot tying skills that someone in a survival situation would benefit from is what I'm after.

I have found a few sites, none of which I like. Do any of you seasoned survivalists have any books to recommend?
www.proknot.com

for taking knots in the field

·
Lemming herder!
1,189 Posts
Haha - funny you should mention this.

Recently I started carrying a length of paracord in my pocket, if I have some downtime somewhere (waiting in a queue or at the airport) I pull out the cord and start practicing a few knots - got a few books and survival guides that show different kinds of knots.

Would be nice to have a video series on knot tying if anyone knows of one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's a blog type website that features a different knot added every week, as well as random climbing and other useful knots. They also include photos and videos for visual reference. They recently did a underwater video that demonstrated the 5 main knots that are taught at BUD/s.

http://www.itstactical.com/category/knots/

·
"Through a glass, darkly"
1,948 Posts
That site is a goldmine, thanks a lot!

If this isn't cool, I don't know what is:

One-Handed Bowline Knot Animation
That's one way of tying a one-handed bowline, but there is another way that doesn't involve sticking your hand through the loop. If (for some strange reason) you're trying to tie a bowline around yourself while hanging from a ledge, getting your wrist caught in the bite might prove traumatic. I'll see if I can find an illustration of it, because it's difficult to describe.

Reactions: SheepDog

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ashley Book of Knots hands down is the best book for knots. After learning knots in the BSA then I moved on to this and boy are there a lot. Every knot you need.

·
1,948 Posts
K.I.S.S. theory on knots

I love knots, and learning new ones. Always something to learn.
But I have a very small repertoire of knots I actually use.

Rolling half-hitch (slip knot) with a loop release
Trucker's hitch (with quick release loop)
Bowline
Improved clinch knot (for fishing)

If you find a knot that will hold your weight, and can be untied even after having a load on it, and soaked by rain/weather, you've got a winner!

I always incorporate a release loop in any knot I can. We've built veritable tent cities when camping/hunting, and with these quick release knots, my tarps are folded and packed while my buddies are still trying to untie their knots.

·
1,948 Posts
Alternative on-handed bowline

Here's the technique I was talking about that keeps you from getting fouled in the standing end of the rope. Pardon the background music, it was the only video of this method I could find.

Reactions: SheepDog

·
Registered
55 Posts
Haha - funny you should mention this.

Recently I started carrying a length of paracord in my pocket, if I have some downtime somewhere (waiting in a queue or at the airport) I pull out the cord and start practicing a few knots - got a few books and survival guides that show different kinds of knots.

Would be nice to have a video series on knot tying if anyone knows of one.
I cut some paracord for my sons cub scout pack and play with it all the time now. I keep doing the same knots though...need to practice some new ones.

·
1,948 Posts
here is a few knots i know but i know the names in french only so forgive me 4 that

- noeud de cabestan --clove hitch
- noeud de chaise --bowline
- oeuil-francois-walter --???
- geordien --Gordian Knot?

here is the french wikipedia page
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nœud_(lien)

noeud = knot
I was curious, but didn't get very far. :confused: If the last one is correct, congratulations...I can't UNtie one, let alone tie it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts