Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
antisocial
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I went to a children's play and sat next a woman knitting. Children were on stage performing and she was effing knitting.
I find this to be rude and disrespectful to the director of the play and the talent on stage.

Okay...I get it. I know why you knit. I love to sew but I don't take my sewing projects to my kids dance recital, basebal game or the movies.

Is there some unwritten code for knitters that makes this socially acceptable?

·
Misplaced Texan
163 Posts
This is pretty funny to me... My Ex use do the same thing with her cross stitch or her crocheting. I think it was more of an attention thing for her. She wanted folks to ask about it and if it didn't happen she would cuss then start ripping out what she was doing complaining about "dropping a stitch" or being on the wrong line. Then she got the attention. It got to the point where folks would just ignore her since she was ignoring the group of friends or family she was with.

·
Raving Loony
2,253 Posts
Eh cut her a break. Maybe she's like me, her mind tends to wander to bad things if she's not doing 2 or 3 things at once. Knitting's better than having to get up and walk out in the middle 'cause you're having panic attacks. Beats the snot out of Xanax, too.

·
Chaotic Neutral
88 Posts
I actually find that I can pay better attention sometimes, if I have something to engage part of my brain with an easy task. I knit in public often, especially on longer bus rides. I most especially like to knit while watching TV.

It seems to me you are more annoyed with the woman's knitting because you felt she wasn't paying attention to something you were personally invested in rather than the children as a whole. Did you ask her politely how she can watch the stage and knit at the same time? Was she loud and bothersome? Would you rather her texting or constantly fussing and muttering with a video camera and annoying everyone around her?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You do not have to use your brain to knit. She was prolly paying MORE attention to the play than you were. Your hands learn to work independantly of your brain if you are good at something. Heck, I have taken a hand spindle to flight safety classes and gotten more out of them then most folks that are letting their minds wander as the check out their nails.....look at the ceiling...my* hands* spin/knit......my brain is fully focused on what is being presented. A pal finished most of a sock while watching The Nutcracker. sewing you have to LOOK at, knitting you don't.

Liebrecht

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
People who don't knit, or crochet, really don't comprehend how one can do their stitch work and actually pay attention to what's going on in front of them.

And yes depending where you are it is socially acceptable, sewing is a much different set of skills than knitting, I wouldn't piece a project together in public, but to make the actual pieces is very different.

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
I don't knit in a lot of situations where I could knit and still pay attention, because I don't want to offend those who don't understand how it works.

At radio club I try to start knitting before the speaker begins, that way it doesn't look like I'm bored when I pull my knitting out after he or she begins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been knitting for so long I can knit without looking at it. I can and know people who can knit in a movie theater where there is very little light. I can knit with my eyes closed.

It's very easy for me to knit and pay full attention to a movie, play, tv or someone talking to me. I can read a book or stuff on the web while I knit. Most people I know understand this so it's never been an issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How can you know the person sitting to the other side of you was not me?

I NEVER pay attention to children's plays, even though i may be looking towards the stage :xeye: I don't knit, and i look like i'm paying attention how cool/rude is that^^

·
Registered
117 Posts
I crochet or embroider while I am on the phone or watching tv, heck, I will probably knit too (once I get it down, first class tonight!)

This is called 'multi-tasking' and lots of people do it.

I would have much rather sat next to the woman knitting than the person who was texting, taking calls, or playing games on their phone, or the couple that kept whispering amongst themselves.

I think maybe you are taking this too personal. I am sure that the woman who was knitting didn't mean to offend you and (don't take this the wrong way) she probably got more enjoyment out of the play since she wasn't worried about what the person sitting down the row was doing.

Just my thoughts....

·
antisocial
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is exactly the dialogue I needed to better understand.

I did not confront her or ask her because I didn't want to be rude by disrupting the audience or the talent on stage. Growing up with two actors/directors as parents, I can tell you....the actors and directors of this play would prefer that woman stay home with her kid than sit in the audience and knitt. No matter your intentions or reasons, it's disrespectful to the production.

I thoroughly understand crafting and working with my hands. I'm an artist of many trades. My art form is not the type of thing I do in public when invited to engage in another activity. In fact, even if I was a knitter, I would never do it when I could be watching other human's creativity blossom.

Now I better understand but I will say, I do think it's very rude, regardless of how well you can multitask; when invited to engage in a public forum of anykind, whether that be a town meeting, a childrens play or your childs baseball game to not give your full attention and awareness to this is disrespectful and a grab for attention.

Just sayin'

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unless she was dropping her needles and they were making noise when they hit the floor.. . .

but then again I knit and watch TV.

I wonder how many people were texting through that children's play. . ..
I agree. I find texting, websurfing or chatting on smart phones at such times to be truly rude.

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
This is exactly the dialogue I needed to better understand.

I did not confront her or ask her because I didn't want to be rude by disrupting the audience or the talent on stage. Growing up with two actors/directors as parents, I can tell you....the actors and directors of this play would prefer that woman stay home with her kid than sit in the audience and knitt. No matter your intentions or reasons, it's disrespectful to the production.
Interesting, my mother was a pianist, my stepfather a professional opera singer for many years, my little sister a ballet dancer at the Royal school of ballet and I never in all my many, many years watching concerts and productions and operas, and dance ever came upon any such desire on anyone's part. you are the first to voice this in my entire life of 42 years.

I think your parents have been a little bit full of themselves. Perhaps taken themselves too seriously? Perhaps been a little intense. Don't you think? 'disrespectful to the production' good god, how priggish.

Your parents are reminding me of the Godawful women of the opera league in Auckland in the early eighties who boycotted the brecht operas, the thripenny opera, mahagonny... they even boycotted sweeney todd because it wasn't 'respecctful to the art of opera' - they only wanted to see la traviata and die fecking zauberfloete and kicked up such a stink the Theatre Corporate went under. All busom and pearls they were. So dignified. No understanding of art at all.

They were a misery in the audience because they did not clap, they gave nothing back. They just sat there in silence like they thought they were in church. Feeding out energy to a pack of emotional vampires. Hideous, hidelous women they were.

don't take art too seriously. Relax, have fun, stomp your feet and never fear to laugh and clap and whistle. I remember frightening some american friends I had at a production of rocky horror, the singer was fantastic. amazing: the intro song? she was a polynesian and went all out. at the end of her song I stood and clapped and whistled.

Yes me. At the wellington opera house I alone stood and clapped until the rest of the place started clapping too. And thus began an energetic, happy, cheerful and rather raucous evening because the cast had been FED.

if we want to be a good audience, THAT is where we need to invest our time, not in not knitting. Certainly turn your cellphone off but knitting is neither here nor there - feeding the cast is where it's at. Feeding them with smiles, and sounds. You're in the dark dears. They can't see what you're doing with your hands.

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
Thanks folks...I'm sure to have more tolernace and understanding for the knitters of the world!
lol - i was actually thinking more about this last night. embroidery is a hobby but knitting is a chore.

it's usually done under pressure. My big sister usually has wool in her pocket and needles in her hands - a friend has had a prem baby, nothing is small enough to fit, she has 12 hours approximately to produce bootees and a vest. Off she goes.

Her husband's birthday is coming up and she's got to get it done...

the kids all need sweaters for winter...

it's pressure and it's work. The reason we knit 24/7 is because it's such a slow job and we have so much to do. So if you see someone knitting in the audience understand she might have decided to do that gorgeous shawl for her girlfriend's baby and - oh heck! - it's due in a month and this ghastly pattern is so complicated with all its k3togs and ssos that she can only do one row (of 350 sts) per hour and her fingertips on her left hand feel like they're bleeding.

It's not always fun. Knitting is not always fun. your arms ache, your back aches... everything starts to hurt after enough hours of going flat out. it's done quite straightforwardly for the garments it produces and when there's time pressure we take our stuff everywhere. :D:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts