Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to could you survive in a situation with a 2.5" fixed bladed knife, my brotherin law and I have been debating this all day.. And I say you could, fixed blade knife i could.. Cut animals, make shelter, gather fire wood, but nothing big.. I could do the basics what do you guys think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's not much shorter than some bushcraft knives. You won't be batoning (splitting) wood but if is a decent knife then it will function well enough. I carry a small knife in addition to any larger knife just because of the control and detail that a small knife lends itself to. Although far from Ideal for a survival knife it would be serviceable, especially something like this http://shop.woodbearknives.com/BabyBear-1.htm

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
No, you'll die a slow death <<sarcasm>> that's why the Saami people of Northern Finland use puukko knives that are about 2", 2½" to 3½" in length for the last couple of thousand years and have done quite well for themselves...They also use a leuku knife that's about 5" in length primarily as a general camp knife.

Jonny Walker Nilsson Spiders Saami Style Half Horn 3.0 in

Greger Forselius Black and Gold Birch Puukko 2.89 in

Iisakki Järvenpää leuku

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The human race existed for thousands of years using sharp rocks and flint chips 1"-3" long.

Each summer I teach a two week survival school and each of the last 6 years I have reduced the size of my knife. Also the quality of the blade. Last year my blade was a 3" Faber brand paring knife from Walmart, $2.98. Built snares, skinned game, cleaned fish and made all the articles needed. I did this to prove one can stay alive with what they can grab as they walk through the kitchen.

This year they have dared me to use a boxcutter. Since a Gerber utility blade money clip is part of my EDC I may just make a try at it.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
If you had to could you survive in a situation with a 2.5" fixed bladed knife, my brotherin law and I have been debating this all day.. And I say you could, fixed blade knife i could.. Cut animals, make shelter, gather fire wood, but nothing big.. I could do the basics what do you guys think?
Tell your brother-in-law I side with you on this :D:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Check your local laws. Knives under 3 inches are not legal here.

Both my knives are 9 and 11 inches long blades. One for knife fighting, one for beating. All the small knives are in the silverware.

·
02/14/11
1,133 Posts
That's what I'm talkin about Smudge. Thank you for that video. I was stranded on a mountainside in Utah in 2006 on and Elk hunt. I would have given my left cojone for a 2.5 inch blade to do just what you show here. It's tough to break green limbs off a pine tree to make a bed and windbreak. With the blade shown in the video I could have been comfortable all night long instead of wondering if I were going to freeze to death. Don't ever be anywhere without a knife and a Bic lighter.

·
"Not vengence Punishment"
1,280 Posts
I read an article some 20 to 25 years ago about a hunter that got caught in a snow storm while rabbit hunting. He made it until he was rescued because of his Old Timer. He said that without it he would have frozen to death. He was able to build shelter, make a fire and eat his rabbit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think 3 inches is a usable size for a survival knife. When I was having my own knife custom made I went for 4 inches though. This allows me to do whatever is needed. You don't want anything too big as it will actually hinder you in some tasks. Combine an axe with a small knife and you have everything you need.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Really LD? You post alot on your knife fighting, and the beating is a new use for a knife to me. Man, you must be so experienced!
Thats what happens when you grow old. Been doing some sort of martial art since I was 10, Swords & long knife & tomahawk only for the last 10-12 years or so.

Clarification:

Beating refers to cutting, chopping, prying, everything you might do with a blade minus cutting meat.

The beater class in swords refers to any blade under $3-500 that is used for fun. So we use the word beater about knives that are well, beat on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.