Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering just how many different styles are out there.
when I get a new knife, I rough out the edge with a file, then work out the edge with progressively rougher stones, when I start the final sharpening, I use a very fine razor stone and sharpen it from the edge toward the spine of the blade, it takes some time to get it right, but when it's finished I'd put it against anyone else's

suggestions, arguments, or if you want to share your particular style, please do it here, for everyones benifit

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, for a knife I don't think I would use a file because I would be afraid to mess up the grind of it. I normally use files for machetes. But what I normally do for a knife is take a diamond sharpener and sharpen it with that untill its ground from the start of the edge to the end of it. Then I finish it up with a butcher steel. The only problem I have found with using the butchers steel is it tends to "roll" the edge of my knife and it's difficult to get the edge perfectly alligned. As for a stone I've never been able to get a razor edge on my knives using it for some odd reason. How does that work for 1095 steel?

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know the designations of the different types of steel, I generally classify steel by it's behavour, If it is hard to cut with a file or stone, and will hold an edge for a long time under use it's probably some kind of high carbon steel
every thing I know comes from years of trial and error, you know like someone who plays a instument and doesnt even know the notes, or can pick up on any song but cant read sheet music

but my particular favorite steel is old black high carbon steel, it's real brittle but it will hold a edge for a long time,
I've never used a steel to sharpen a knife
all I use is a file to start then a real rough stone, then medium grit, then fine, then extra fine, then a razor strap
I cut off the factory edge and make one I like, I generally pick the type of edge I want for the job I want to do with it
oh try this go to the store buy a peice of junk
then put it in a vise point up
using a normal flat file, starting from the tip angle the file 45 degrees tang up
sharpen from the tip
do it exactly the same on both sides of the blade starting from the spine
when you get it right, it's like a very fine saw with the teeth pointing toward the hilt
if you get it right it feels dull but will cut meat like butter

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Diamond stone,then strop for a knife.

oil stone for a machete.

Butchers steel for food knife.

The only time you will see me use a file on a knife is if im making the knife,but this is at the start and then i progressivly work down the grits to fine and and then strop.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Before I say anything let me clarify that I'm not extensively experienced with knife sharpening. :(

A Fallkniven DC4 (it has diamond and ceramic sides), although it's small it does all of my touching up needs, then I put my foot through the loop of my leather belt and strop away.

This keeps my knives and GB small forest axe shaving sharp, I have a permanent bald spot on the side of my left forearm to prove it!

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Before I say anything let me clarify that I'm not extensively experienced with knife sharpening. :(

A Fallkniven DC4 (it has diamond and ceramic sides), although it's small it does all of my touching up needs, then I put my foot through the loop of my leather belt and strop away.

This keeps my knives and GB small forest axe shaving sharp, I have a permanent bald spot on the side of my left forearm to prove it!
Haaa HAAA ive got that bold spot too.

I do the same with my belt,i loop it through the buckel and put my foot in the loop then hold the other end in my left hand and strop away,i do 25 strokes a side and i can shave with it.:thumb:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Haaa HAAA ive got that bold spot too.

I do the same with my belt,i loop it through the buckel and put my foot in the loop then hold the other end in my left hand and strop away,i do 25 strokes a side and i can shave with it.:thumb:
Hahahaha!!! I guess its a knife people thing lol. I got so many bald spots on my arms its not even funny lol!

·
Semper Gumby
158 Posts
I use my belt sander. First 400, then 800 and then strop it with my piece of leather that I glued to a board that has rubbing compund on it. I even do this with my wifes knives(she is a former Pastry Chef).
Rich

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea the sprop is real popular, hahah, my whole left arm is bald, knives and small edged weapons is kind of my hobbie, a dull knife drives me nuts

My saying- A dull knife is just a little better than a sharp stick

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
yea the sprop is real popular, hahah, my whole left arm is bald, knives and small edged weapons is kind of my hobbie, a dull knife drives me nuts

My saying- A dull knife is just a little better than a sharp stick
Im a sharp Sticks but i ain't a dull knife lol.:thumb::D:

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did anyone do the saw thing i posted earlier, I was wondering if anyone else got the same results or if mine is just a fluck

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Wait, you use progressively COARSER stones?:confused:
My sharpening isn't as detailed as most of you guys' methods...I just use a small sharpener I got a Wally World...it has a carbide "V" on one side, and ceramic "V" on the other...I use the carbide if it REALLY needs a tune up and andthen the ceramic, and after it's all done I pass it over a "sharpening steel" to smooth out the burs and get everything all lined up and razor sharp...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use wet/dry emery papers glued on wooden block. Starting with rough grits and finish with very fine 2000 grit (when it´s well used it works like a strop just put something softer like rubber or leather under).
Convex edges I sharpen with same method, but piece of mousemat or rubber plate under paper. My machetes I put always half convex edge with mousemat+emery method, it´s very fast way and will hold edge much longer than pure V-grind. (for machetes I use 240 -> 800 -> 2000).

For touch up I use leather belt, weared out 2000 grit emery or butcher steel.

TIP: old drill bit works like pocket butcher steel on field to straighten rolled edge.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I use wet/dry emery papers glued on wooden block. Starting with rough grits and finish with very fine 2000 grit (when it´s well used it works like a strop just put something softer like rubber or leather under).
Convex edges I sharpen with same method, but piece of mousemat or rubber plate under paper. My machetes I put always half convex edge with mousemat+emery method, it´s very fast way and will hold edge much longer than pure V-grind. (for machetes I use 240 -> 800 -> 2000).

For touch up I use leather belt, weared out 2000 grit emery or butcher steel.

TIP: old drill bit works like pocket butcher steel on field to straighten rolled edge.
RE: tip:
please explain! I think I get it...just use the cutting edge of the bit?

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was wondering just how many different styles are out there.
when I get a new knife, I rough out the edge with a file, then work out the edge with progressively smoother stones, when I start the final sharpening, I use a very fine razor stone and sharpen it from the edge toward the spine of the blade, it takes some time to get it right, but when it's finished I'd put it against anyone else's

suggestions, arguments, or if you want to share your particular style, please do it here, for everyones benifit
has been corrected

·
Registered
19 Posts
I you want a sharp knife, use a fine diamond stone and use it often. I prefer diamond stones to naturals beacuse I think that they produce superior results. Sharpen all the way and often, and you won't have to be spending time to redevelop the bevel. Lastly after I have used the diamond stone, removoe the burr and finalize the edge by taking some passes over a ceramic rod, by now you will have a blade that will shave hair. With some of the tougher high carbon steels and stainless steels, sharpen frequently and it won't be so much of a chore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts