Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
DMT

I usually only use DMT sharpeners or EZE-LAP. And Wally World doesn't carry them. You'll have to mail order or go to a sporting goods or gun store.

The last cheap diamond sharpener I had, the diamond came off. I think it was a Smith's.

As with knives & tools it's better to spend a little extra money and get something good.

:upsidedown:

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
i purchased a yellow one with steel on one side and ceramic on the other for like three bucks at wally world... puts a great edge on my knives. they will cut hair on your arm, no problem...
I got that one too, my cheapie old imperial swiss army knife knockoff was duller than a butter knife and five minutes with that yellow thing had it slicing paper with no pressure. Never got a cheap stainless blade factory sharp like that before.

·
Registered
304 Posts
For the size weight and price its pretty good but am looking for some thing better. Looking for one to carry in the ghb and a larger one for in the house. Ben looking at the lanskey delux for the house any thoughts. Might even put one in the bag

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used to be a devoted 6" medium Arkansas stone and oil kinda guy.
Then one day I was placing an order at Ragweed forge ( http://www.ragweedforge.com/ I do like Scandinavian blades ) and I added one of their little diamond plates to the order. "What the heck" I thought.
It worked so good I was astounded. My wife discovered it, and promptly stole it from me. It lives in her purse and now she leaves a trail of sharp blades behind her wherever she goes...
Naturally I had to buy another for myself.

It's such a tiny sharpener yet works wonders on knives, hatchets and axes, and they don't seem to wear out. Ours certainly get constant use because we raise and butcher all our own meat. What is really nice about it is that it is double sided with two grades of abrasive.
I couldn't think of a better addition to a BOB. You'll never notice the weight or bulk, yet it's a tool you can really rely upon to keep your blades in great shape.

Two Sided Diamond Plate
If I were starting over, and buying a single tool to sharpen my knives, this is what I would get. It has a medium (600) surface on one side and a fine (1200) surface on the other. It's 4" long, 1 1/4" wide, and less than 1/16" thick (.055"). The plate and it's plastic sleeve weigh about 1 1/4 ounces. Made in the USA. $19

The two sided diamond plate is now akso avaialble with coarse and medium grits. This would be useful for taking out nicks or restoring edges. The price is the same $19. If you would like this option please to be sure to specify "two sided diamond plate, coarse/medium". If you don't specify I'll send the fine/medium.

If I were going to add anything, I'd get something for a super fine finish or strop. The Viking whet stones shown below would be excellent. The $1 ceramic sticks listed below would also be good.

The single sided plates shown below are a close second, and actually fit a wallet better. I personally prefer the slightly greater length of the double sided plates however.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
I have a couple of the Smith's Pocket Pal sharpeners. I like them for compact sharpeners. It doesn't give me the results my Japanese Water Stone provides; but it is compact and works well.

I have no complaints, personally. Just be mindful of how much pressure you put on the blade as you cycle it through. Lots of people tend to reef on it with entirely too much force which boogers your blade up.

·
13 moons: *************
502 Posts
Does anybody use Smith's Pocket Pal Knife Sharpener in their BOB? I saw it at Walmart for $8.99...just wondering if they are any good?
I've got one of 'em in my BOB. Yeah, they are cheap but they'll do for you in an emergency too. They are small, light and will fit in your BOB or GHB. Having something like this is better than nothing. But if I was never coming back, I'd want the stones.

·
Mentally lost....
809 Posts
I have a wet jap. sharpening block for home use, but i bought a hand held carbide sharpener from my mac tools guy. Works good to sharpen, it doesn't finish the blade, but after running it through the sharpener its sharp enough to slice paper w/ ease. I like it for a on the spot sharpening.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
I used to be a devoted 6" medium Arkansas stone and oil kinda guy.
Then one day I was placing an order at Ragweed forge ( http://www.ragweedforge.com/ I do like Scandinavian blades ) and I added one of their little diamond plates to the order. "What the heck" I thought.
It worked so good I was astounded. My wife discovered it, and promptly stole it from me. It lives in her purse and now she leaves a trail of sharp blades behind her wherever she goes...
Naturally I had to buy another for myself.

It's such a tiny sharpener yet works wonders on knives, hatchets and axes, and they don't seem to wear out. Ours certainly get constant use because we raise and butcher all our own meat. What is really nice about it is that it is double sided with two grades of abrasive.
I couldn't think of a better addition to a BOB. You'll never notice the weight or bulk, yet it's a tool you can really rely upon to keep your blades in great shape.

This I think will be my next sharpener, thanks much!

·
Registered
469 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts