Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, you get one knife sharpener for your BOB/GHB/EDC pack, what do you carry and why?

Limits for this are, weight, size and ability to sharpen an axe, machete, bush-craft type knife and small edc knife. You get one sharpener and have to make it work with all of those.
Your pack is heavy enough already and the sharpener needs to last a decent amount of time and sharpen your various blades well enough to do what they are supposed to do.

What are your picks and why?

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener

Does everything you asked for and more

I have one... not a big fan of diamond coated sharpeners though. It's a good system but long term use wears away the diamond coating and makes it useless if you can't get replacements

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,795 Posts
That seems to be the issue with the newer stuff, it's meant to "wear out/down" and be replaced. IMO the "best answer" (though not one item) would be a couple (at least) decent files and a whetstone. Though that also doesn't help any in the weight dept. either (but at least those should last a very long time even with a great deal of use)

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
I have one... not a big fan of diamond coated sharpeners though. It's a good system but long term use wears away the diamond coating and makes it useless if you can't get replacements

I really can't think of anything better, what would you choose?

·
Registered
16,010 Posts
I carry a two sided whet stone in my BOV (probably at least two) but I have found in a pinch I can use my magnesium fire starter to put a decent edge on my pocket knife (either by using the magnesium or the ferro rod). I haven't tried it on anything else, but it is always in my pocket so nothing extra to carry.

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really can't think of anything better, what would you choose?
I'm leaning towards getting a two sided puck type whetstone but keep thinking there might be a better option

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I certainly wouldn't EDC it but for GHB or a BOB I like a 10'' Nicholson (USA) Magicut. Not perfect but adequate for a relatively short period.
I would consider a small file

On another note.... I remember when my Izula had a normal blade shape like yours, it’s been a great knife.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
My field sharpening kit is an old carborundum double sided pocket stone, small india stone and a piece of leather with CrOx on one side. Though I mainly use the leather unless there are any dings which usually only happens if I nick a bone or somehow a rock. I've also come across nails in trees in the middle of nowhere. The carborundum stone would take a lifetime to wear through it and it is already older than I am. All fits in a pouch about the size of an altoids tin. I keep a diamond rod on my machete, which isn't the finest that I like to take my knives, but it sharpens fast and puts a decent usable edge on it.

I have been looking at the Work Sharp Field Sharpener since the diamond would make quick work of reestablishing a bevel if needed and the ceramic would be used 99% for touch ups.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Ok, you get one knife sharpener for your BOB/GHB/EDC pack, what do you carry and why?

Limits for this are, weight, size and ability to sharpen an axe, machete, bush-craft type knife and small edc knife. You get one sharpener and have to make it work with all of those.
Your pack is heavy enough already and the sharpener needs to last a decent amount of time and sharpen your various blades well enough to do what they are supposed to do.

What are your picks and why?
Well, I’ve done a number of deployments ranging from three months to almost a year and a half including jungles to deserts. I always brought a few (often a few too many) knives and a sharpening system…everything from leather strops to an angled ceramic sharpening system. I think you have to figure out what and how much you plan to use your knife on. If you’re defoliating a jungle, an aggressive diamond sharpener would likely be the best option and will last longer than most expect. Most people won’t be destroying their edges requiring significant reprofiling; most will simply need to touch up their edges to keep them honed and maintained.

I’ve also had great success with Fallkniven’s DC diamond and ceramic combo sharpening stones; small enough (3 or 4 inches) to put into a knife’s sharpening pouch (for those so equipped).

Lastly, the one that I used the most this past job in Afghanistan, was a simple GATCO ceramic “dog bone” sharpener. It’s best for folders and smaller fixed blades, but is pretty simple to keep edges “working sharp”. Lansky’s “Bade Medic” is another good field sharpener, but it’s not the best for larger blades like machetes.

I have still have older DMT Duofold diamond sharpeners that are 10+years old and still very solid sharpeners. If you’re bugging out for 10 years, working about your sharpener is likely pretty low on your priority list! So, for my bugout bags, I simply keep a DMT Duofold in there and it will sharped just about everything I have or need to maintain, and they are far lighter than a file or traditional stone.

ROCK6

·
Registered
557 Posts
I keep a Lansky BladeMedic. This one is metal, I had a cheaper plastic one in the past. It will not do it all, but will keep a good edge on medium and smaller knives. I have even used the "serrated ceramic" section to touch up larger knives or hatchets. It is true the diamond rod wears out, but at some point almost everything does. I have a professional butcher type knife sharpening rod from my grandfather who worked in a meat packing plant. All the ridges are worn off it, so not everything lasts forever.

Here is the BladeMedic

https://amzn.to/3heD6Sw

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a Norton st Gobain stone about the diameter of a lansky puck but thinner ,and finer grit and a small Arkansas stone together in a pouch I made. I always wear a heavy leather gun belt that I can use as a strop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts