Survivalist Forum banner

Knife review

13K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Rutger 
#1 · (Edited)
Muela 25-12[Made in spain]
440c stainless steel
Rubber and zamak handle.

The first test was batoning and carving,So i decided to carve a fork because this also gave my the chance to test the sawback.
So the first job was to split the wood,I used a branch 1 inch thick and 8 inches long as the baton to split a 1inch branch,Not a problem for this knife.
The next task was to carve the shape of the fork,Once again not a problem,Carved with ease.
Then i used the sawback to cut out the pronges of the fork,the saw did a great job,I would say that this saw is only good for small tasks only,Carving a fork was perfect for its size.

The next test was to see how well it would be as a striker for the swiss army fire steel,I used birchbark paper as the tinder,The knife gave off a good shower of sparks,Lighting the tinder on the second strike,Pretty good i thought.

So what do i think to the knife.

It's not a big knife by anymeans but big is not always better.
I like the rubber grip and the thumb guard,it feels safe to use.
If i had to make a comparison with another knife it would be the mora 860 clipper.The mora comes with a part rubber grip and no lanyard hole,Where as the muela has an all rubber grip and lanyard hole,the thumb guard also makes it feel safer than the mora.
The mora comes with a plastic sheath,the muela with leather.

Although i like the mora blades very much,I have to say i think this blade gives it a run for the money and has the added bonus of the sawback.

Price=
The Muela 25-12 £11.50 inc PP
The Mora 860 £10.00 inc PP

If i had to pick between the muela and mora the deciding factor is that the muela has a full tang and the mora a half tang,The muela has a better grip,sheath and has the sawback.So it would have to be the Muela,But it is very close as i used a mora for three years and it never let me down.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.