Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Leave the politics at the door about cold steel, first of all... i don't care if it's made in china, i just care about quality.

Howdy, i'd like to know if these knives are any good? (Not comparing them, just asking if they are good knives as i'd like to buy both.)

It seems the LMF II would be a great knife for generally camping, bug out, survival and what have you, and the tanto being a back up blade... can y'all throw out some info? like durability and somesuch.. thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The ASEK has many more innovative features on it, has a ton of mounting options, and can be had in three different colors.

But to be fair I'll say that both are comfortable to hold and both are relatively cheap.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, for 70$ the LMF II Looked like a dream knife that could not only protect you in dire situations, but serve as an extremely good survival tool.. plus the built in sharpener and awesome sheath, seems like a great deal.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Having owned the CS Tanto for close to 12 or 13 years now I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a fighting knife, IMO.

If you are into any kind of bushcraft, camping etc the design just isn't conducive for those specific tasks.

The quality is tops, no problems there, I've beat the crap out of it and now my son beats the crap out if it, just it isn't something I would buy with a view to camp craft and the like.

The ASEK is a better bet as a "survival" knife, the CST is a better combat knife.

Just my .02

·
Does not play well
1,511 Posts
^^ Ditto

I have both. The Gerber LMF has a couple of different options. YOu can buy one that is all American made (so that it can be sold via military contracts), or they have a couple of less expensive options.

I love both Cold Steel and Gerber products. To be fair I have no experience with Chinese made Cold steel knives as I only own American made and Japanese made Cold Steel products.

The Gerber LMF is IMO a tougher design than anything Cold steel makes in that size. I think that it is one of the best mass produced knives on the market today, and will buy more of them finances permitting.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
I have the CS Tanto i like it but i do not use it in the bush for survival...My bush survival knife is a CS San Mai 3 Trail Master...
That is a very nice knife. I've gone back and forth with myself repeatedly over the years about getting one, seems like I find something else to buy each time. Got a feeling I'm going to kick myself for not getting one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.