Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to plant a few fixed blades outside to grab at a moments notice. These would be out of the rain but subject to high humidity. Is there an oil I should use to preserve the metal? thx

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
For storage, a heavier oil such as the 3n1 household oil would work fine.
I just use the spray can that I bought for my bicycle called Tri-Flow, great stuff. Any oil will work though food grade oils can spoil and are not recommended. A heavy motor oil would work well also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I need to plant a few fixed blades outside to grab at a moments notice. These would be out of the rain but subject to high humidity. Is there an oil I should use to preserve the metal? thx
You should be able to nab some AK47 bayonets that are sealed in plastic, coated in cosmoline, for pretty cheap.

But if you already have the knives I would still recommend something along those lines... a heavier oil/grease in a sealed bag.

Good luck!

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Nah, I would use plain old Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. If you would have to use your knife in food prep, 3-in-1 will contaminate your food PJ won't. It is also thinner and will dissipate faster than PJ. For any harsh conditions or long storage (or use on knives that will, or may, come into contact with food) PJ is a better bet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.