Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my work done early today so i thought id get a back order out of the way.

i got an order for a small fillet knife from a fisherman friend so i made the knife today.

It took 3 hours from start to finish.

the blade is 4" long and the handle is 3" long.
the thickness of the blade is 1 1/4 mm.

The handle is bog oak held on with epoxy resin and 3-4mm pins,it has an 8mm lanyard tube.

I finished the handle with Danish oil and will also rub in some bees wax.

I will be making a knife like this for Yorkshire boy after Christmas.

While i had the forge going i also made a flint striker steel,i use high carbon steel but did not temper because tempered steel does not strike sparks from flint as well as un-tempered,the down fall to this is that if you drop the striker it can shatter.I made this as a tester because im trying to get a good range of bushcraft items that i can make and sell for my little business.

the beauty of making the strikers is that they can be made from scrap steel thats left over from knife making and you make them when the forge is already going.

Attachments

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Looks like that shape would be very efficient at quickly removing some meat, though I can't say I've ever seen that shape for a filet knife. Is this a tried-and-true shape for you?

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
You never cease to amaze me,

That is a work of art, like the fellow said, looks like it would be a good skinner.
Keep it up, and someday I will not be able not to buy one. LOL lookin good Sticks. God bless, you and yourn.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like that shape would be very efficient at quickly removing some meat, though I can't say I've ever seen that shape for a filet knife. Is this a tried-and-true shape for you?
Not really,ive never seen this shape either LOL,i just drew it that way and went with it so to speak:D:

A bit of artistic flare or is that ortistic:eek::D::D:

If the guy don't like it i will quite happly keep it for myself.:thumb:

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a work of art, like the fellow said, looks like it would be a good skinner.
Keep it up, and someday I will not be able not to buy one. LOL lookin good Sticks. God bless, you and yourn.
Thanks you.:)

Back at you Brother.:D:

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
:thumb:

Wow mate, I can't wait to receive mine!

As others have said that's a unique shape for a filleting knife (a bit like a karambit or something?) but I'm sure it'll work very well indeed.

The blade looks black, or is that just a trick of the light?

Hopefully by next summer I'll be able to have a few pictures of it in action, slicing up mackerel and seabass.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I got my work done early today so i thought id get a back order out of the way.

i got an order for a small fillet knife from a fisherman friend so i made the knife today.

It took 3 hours from start to finish.

the blade is 4" long and the handle is 3" long.
the thickness of the blade is 1 1/4 mm.

The handle is bog oak held on with epoxy resin and 3-4mm pins,it has an 8mm lanyard tube.

I finished the handle with Danish oil and will also rub in some bees wax.

I will be making a knife like this for Yorkshire boy after Christmas.

While i had the forge going i also made a flint striker steel,i use high carbon steel but did not temper because tempered steel does not strike sparks from flint as well as un-tempered,the down fall to this is that if you drop the striker it can shatter.I made this as a tester because im trying to get a good range of bushcraft items that i can make and sell for my little business.

the beauty of making the strikers is that they can be made from scrap steel thats left over from knife making and you make them when the forge is already going.
Good piece of craftsmanship!

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:thumb:

Wow mate, I can't wait to receive mine!

As others have said that's a unique shape for a filleting knife (a bit like a karambit or something?) but I'm sure it'll work very well indeed.

The blade looks black, or is that just a trick of the light?

Hopefully by next summer I'll be able to have a few pictures of it in action, slicing up mackerel and seabass.
The blade is black,i left the black from the forge on it like they do with some puukkos.:thumb:

When i got my Harri.J Marrima puukko that had the scale on it but after a lot of use it starts to wear off then i just emmery cloth the rest off and then you've got a shinny blade.:D:

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok ive come to the conclusion that its not a fillet knife its an ULU Knife.

So now you can fillet,skin and scrap a hide with it.:thumb::D:

Attachments

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Ok ive come to the conclusion that its not a fillet knife its an ULU Knife.
Well, how 'bout calling it a bottle of whisky and offering all your devoted fans a snort?

Tell you what. I'd hate to do it, but since you're a nice guy and all and I like to help out folks, I'm willing to test that there blade of yourns on some gen-u-wine Missouri whales if you would just send 'er my way.:rolleyes:

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well, how 'bout calling it a bottle of whisky and offering all your devoted fans a snort?

Tell you what. I'd hate to do it, but since you're a nice guy and all and I like to help out folks, I'm willing to test that there blade of yourns on some gen-u-wine Missouri whales if you would just send 'er my way.:rolleyes:
Thanks for your reply but you have totaly lost me on this one:thumb:

I think i lost the plot when i made this one but it does look like an ULU:D:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts