Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, got another one for ya.

A friend gave me some coil springs from his old 70's chevy. I gladly took them, and began to plan what kind of pointy ended instrument I was going to make out of them.

I figure auto springs will be quite plentiful in teotwawki. so I figured I would show you the basic steps it takes to make something out of them.

heres how you can make a lethal pokey thing, out of an old car spring.

in order...

I still got a lot more spring. the knife only took about 6or 7 inches.. so well have to see what else I can make out of em! I thinking some kind of bearded axe...

thanks for lookin. let me know if I can answer any questions.

rat

·
Registered
372 Posts
man fantastic job.

I never heard or thought about using coil springs. The leaf springs I have seen used to make knives from old autos/trucks and especially old wagons when you can find them.

Quick question, when you layed out your steps up there in the pictures, does the coffee have to be the 2nd step or would it be fine to go ahead and tank up on a few cups prior to me beginning? :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man fantastic job.

I never heard or thought about using coil springs. The leaf springs I have seen used to make knives from old autos/trucks and especially old wagons when you can find them.

Quick question, when you layed out your steps up there in the pictures, does the coffee have to be the 2nd step or would it be fine to go ahead and tank up on a few cups prior to me beginning? :)
thanks guys.

yeah, generally I would think the same thing..A nice flat leaf spring. I would love to use one of those actually,because they got more meat on em. Butt this is what I got for now.

yeah, coffee is necessary to sustain life around here! Take liberally throughout the day!

Oh dang it! forgot to show the beer after finishing!! oh well.. next time

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
:eek: that is delicious.

I mean beautiful.

no no I mean cool.. yeah thats cool.. I started a integral from coil spring but haven't finished yet, gotta get back out there..

that is REALLY nice man nice job:thumb:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm likin' it. Did you make the hilt, if so how? Thanks for sharing.
thank you,
yep,made the hilt from mild steel square bar. cut a hole for the tang in the front one, and drill a hole in the back one. use jb weld to secure pommel and guard. attach the ring and peen over, or weld the tang to the ring. the grooves are cut with a file. The handle is 2 pieces of black micarta glued together with 15 minute epoxy.

I tried to keep it simple "survival style", but I ended up "medieval survival style" instead... just as well ;)

thanks
r

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:eek: that is delicious.

I mean beautiful.

no no I mean cool.. yeah thats cool.. I started a integral from coil spring but haven't finished yet, gotta get back out there..

that is REALLY nice man nice job:thumb:
thanks man.
show us what you got done so far! I'm curious to see what you've got done!
hopefully this will help you finish it up.
r

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
thanks man.
show us what you got done so far! I'm curious to see what you've got done!
hopefully this will help you finish it up.
r
its just a round chunk of steel with a blade shape hammered on one side, wasn't sure how I wanted to fit a handle but you have certainly inspired me and I think tomorrow evening I will fire up the forge and finish the forging off..

Ill try to take some pictures and post a thread..

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
Looks like some gothic vampire dagger. :p Better than I could do none the less, if I had one like that I'd display it, and than when TSHTF carry it in a vertical shoulder holster. :p

Hows she take an edge?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like some gothic vampire dagger. :p Better than I could do none the less, if I had one like that I'd display it, and than when TSHTF carry it in a vertical shoulder holster. :p

Hows she take an edge?
LOL! I'll go with gothic vampire dagger! thanks for the compliment!

yeah I gotta make somekinda custom clip type sheath.

display until needed...exactly!!... Of course most of the decor hanging around here is "multipurpose". :taped:

The edge is very nice. I tested it at work.I was showing the guy there the difference between regular steel and bladesteel . I tried to scratch my sheet metal desktop prior to hardening, and the tip folded over. I brought it back the next day and scrawled a deep gash across the same steel. no effect on the blade. :)

you can also shave with it if you are brave enough to try..:cool:

thanks again
r

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fine looking piece of steel!

I love Irish hilts and pommels on daggers!
Try making a Sax next! Or maybe a Nessmuk. A chopper and a camp knife are good choices. Again great blade!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 38 Posts