Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Country Girl
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a bit ahead of myself as I don't even have my breeding rabbits yet, let alone be ready to process them, but I am trying to find out what size and type knife is best for processing them?

My hubby will be doing the killing and gutting so I guess any hunting knife would work for him to use...but I am determined to be capable of doing it myself if I need to...I have small hands so don't want anything to big or heavy - do I need one with the hook on the end or is that only needed for larger game?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
A quality 3"-4" fixed blade is all you'd need for rabbits and sheep and can even do deer though I prefer a slightly larger blade for big game.

·
Country Girl
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks:) is it worth getting one with the hook on the end or is that more a gimmick?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think the one I forged for small to medium size game is perfect. It has worked flawlessly on chickens so far.

1084 high carbon 4" differentially heat treated blade, stainless steel gaurd and pin, and a curly walnut handle.

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
I have a Buck folder that has worked on everything from mule deer to squrrels. Holds a good edge and not too small or too big.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Wish I had some useful info for you but good luck with the rabbits.
I butchered chickens for the first time this year, maybe next year ZI will have the sallt to kill rabbits. I was born in the city where meat comes from the store... have been embracing the country life for 8 years now.

·
Ranger
475 Posts
Ozzie,

You already have all of the knives you need right there in your kitchen. Just pick the one that is the right size for the job and make sure it's been sharpened.

For a rabbit a paring knife or a 4" utility knife is fine. For larger animals add a traditional butcher knife and a boner.

Until the late 19th century, nobody used the kind of "hunting" knives people carry now. They just used knives like the Old Hickory or Green River knives.

·
Registered
459 Posts
What i use for alot of my cleaning of game is a small fillet knife from walmarts. Their small and lite and they either come with or have a sharpener built into the sheath.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts