Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is a good knife for a load carrier?

I am putting together a fighting load carrier (FLC) and am looking at mounting a knife on it. I have an SOG mini pentagon 2. It has a blade of around 3 inches. Which makes it nice and compact.

On the other hand, do you really need a knife on a load carrier? Why not just use a multitool?

With so many brands on the market,

SOG
Gerber
Cold steel
Schrade
ESEE

which brand would you pick? What kind of knife do you have on your load carrier?

Instead of my SOG, what about going with an ESEE 3.

Posted in the military weapons section because this is realating a knife to military style gear.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
An EDC knife has a different set of criteria then a combat knife...Different blade length, size, thickness, sharpening; handle construction (quillons); sheath construction and accessibility.

What price range?

Will you also be carrying a multi-tool? What about a pocket knife or sheathed folder?

I'd stay away from Schrade, Cold Steel and Gerber...Try, if for only ideas, Extrema Ratio, Fox, Puma, Boker, Katz, Dustar (Israel), Kizlyar (Russia), Ontario, Bark River, Mission--lovely Titanium knives, Strider, Emerson, Bear & Son.

EDIT
Forgot these
Entrek -- a favourite of mine
Spartan Blades

·
Happy to be here!
4,935 Posts
I had a Scrap Yard- Son of Dog father. It's an expensive, large, heavy combat style fixed blade knife. I had it for years. I also owned a katana sword. Then one day I realized they were silly, impractical and never used, so I sold them. I used the money to buy practical stuff that I actually use. I still own a few fixed blade knives, mostly because it's been pounded into my head that they are necessary for survival. The most "combat styled" would be my Ontario Ranger Afghan. When I'm actually in the field, I'm finding that my Swiss Army Huntsman combined with my Tramantina Bolo Machete pretty much do everything that needs doing. As crazy as it sounds, if I had to fight with a blade, I'd take my $8 bolo machete over the $150 Scrap Yard knife every time. They weigh about the same and take up the same space on a belt.

So in conclusion, I found fighting knives impractical for anything but fighting. Since I don't get in a lot of knife fights, it was all but useless to me. Even if I did knife fight, an $8 machete would be better at it and immensely more practical as a field tool.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
+1 on carrying a bayonet that also serves as a combat/utility knife. The USMC current issue fits the bill quite nicely.

I also like the idea of a shorter machete. I bought a 12" D-guard machete and love it. Also ended up finding a full length machete that someone ground down to about 9". I scored it for $20 with a custom leather sheath at a recent gun show.

No knife is going to fit the bill totally. I would plan on carrying a small folder, a multitool, and then a full size fighting knife.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Why?

Beother Don, Catholic Hermit
For the most part they are Chi-Comm crap...Very few of Schrade and Cold Steel are made in Taiwan, some Cold Steel (the most expensive) is made in Japan and Gerber makes a few in Oregon.

Instead of having to review each and every blade they make, I'd rather just buy a known makers' product and be done with it.

·
Semper Fi
1,881 Posts
An EDC knife has a different set of criteria then a combat knife...Different blade length, size, thickness, sharpening; handle construction (quillons); sheath construction and accessibility.
So true!!
I carry a Gerber clip-on pocket knife for utility chores and a USMC Kabar on my FLC for fighting (if it should come to that).

Mark

·
Fenced In
3,360 Posts
Carry method should be as much a consideration as the knife itself. There are some great knives out there with horrible sheaths (or vice versa) and some that just aren't suited toward some carry methods. I personally wouldn't take up space on a carrier for a folding knife, on the premise that a folding knife probably isn't going to be the cutting device that will get me out of harm's way and thus call for a chunk of premium on-the-body real estate. A pocket will be quite sufficient.

I don't have have a true carrier/vest rig. Well, I do, but not already loaded up. I do, however have a hiking back/chest setup that works quite well for me, including a Camillus Barbarian fixed blade in a kydex sheath. It attaches to a backpack strap via a BladeTech Tek-Lok clip which could easily be moved to another carry position. If you pick a knife with a compatible sheath, definitely consider a Tek-Lok. There are some folders with MOLLE-compatible sheaths (Benchmade Adamas, Buck/TOPS CSAR-T) that would be decent stand-ins for a fixed blade, but take up almost as much room and weigh nearly as much.

I own numerous fixed blade knives that would be quite capable for carrier wear in their factory sheaths - SOG Seal Pup, CRKT Ultima, Gerber Prodigy, Gerber LMF2, Buck/TOPS Nighthawk, Cold Steel Recon Scout, KA-BAR Extreme and the aforementioned Benchmade Nimravus to name a few - and frankly would have no concerns using any one of them in such a role. I also own a number of Ontario Spec Plus knives, but their factory sheaths are generally not "good to go" without modification or outright replacement. A co-worker of mine bought a Gerber Strongarm recently, and in addition to being a quite serviceable knife, it has one of the better sheaths I've seen.

Most of those I mentioned aren't made in China (well, the sheaths actually might be) but aren't going to win any awards for use of "super steel" either. Thing is, look at various issued knives and bayonets over the years, and there is a lot of 1095, 420HC and so on. Rust resistance and ease of sharpening may not be primary considerations for dedicated defensive knives that don't otherwise see use, but if give it some thought if this is your jack-of-all-trades knife.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
If I was confining space, A extrema Ratio RAO. your not going to break it. period. a fixed blade, fighter, Chris Reeve Green Beret,spyderco warrior, or a Fox Predator. work knife, Esee 6, Ratmandu, busse, whatever flavor you want.

all depends what your setting up to do......

·
Living Simple
992 Posts
I'm a Ka-Bar man. I have a Mark I as my EDC and one on my vest. I also have a full size and small Ka-Bar fighting knives in my INCH bag. They all hold one hell of an edge which is very important with how much I use my knife. Quality and at a good price too. Win, win in my book.

·
Toilet Paper Hunter
825 Posts
+ 1 for the good old k-bar I have had lots of different knives. I have bought knives made knives nothing seems to fit like that old k-bar. I have been toting that thing for 40 some years now. I know its weight leaves alot to be desired but its like a old friend that has never let me down.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I have my Kershaw Blur assisted open in the second pouch of my handgun mag pouch, up on my left shoulder/chest area. I am only carrying 1 extra magazine for my M&P. That is if I don't carry it in my front pocket like I do EDC. I will eventually get the Ontario bayonet for my Colt AR. A Multitool is a must as well.

Kev have you posted pictures of your FLC?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts