Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Regards length, if it helps, coming from a background of sticking hogs in my country, and its a major sport here(using dogs to bail or hold the pigs of course), the game experts recommend you dont go shorter than 7" blade. 6" can work but on bigger hogs you will start to have failures to take out vitals from tough angles. 8" is better, 9" works but any bigger and things get more cumbersome....

Do hunters use spears for hogs there?

IIRC, in Australia they use lever action .357 and .44 magnum rifles for hunting. In rifle form, those calibers are substantially more powerful than when fired through pistols.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I purchased the Glock yesterday. I should receive it this Saturday. I'm drawn to it. The quality for the price. Also, it's appearance.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Do hunters use spears for hogs there?

IIRC, in Australia they use lever action .357 and .44 magnum rifles for hunting. In rifle form, those calibers are substantially more powerful than when fired through pistols.
Some fellas do use spears but its pretty rare compared to knives. The bulk of hogs taken would be regular centrefire hunting, knifing with dogs is a distant number 2 but has a strong following for those who enjoy it. Most common calibres for shooting them are probably 243 win, 308, 223( though its a bit small still very popular) 30-30, 270 win etc. 44 mag and 357 are well respected yes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello .
I just joined this site .
If you need any help whatsoever about choosing a knife , let me know .
I will guide you the best I can .
It’s funny .... I see a lot of Ontario Knife comments on here .
It’s funny because I just posted a video the other day about my Ontario Knife Collection .
The title is called “ Ontario Knife Company ( OKC ) Salute Plus Hige Shout Out to Knifeworks Louisiana “.
I show you 8 awesome blades by OKC .
My absolute favorite is the SK5 Blackbird.
My Most Sentimental is my USN MOD 0 MK 3 Navy Seal Dive knife ( used by a Real Navy Seal in 2002 to 2004 ).
Cowboy C Bop is the name .
Cone say hello one of these days on YT . ( and if you do , please remind me of where we met . Meaning THIS site .
Haha
Stay safe as always.
PS . I have a bit of an obsession with knife collecting.
You will see what I’m talking about . The collection is still growing !
Drives my wife nuts !!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello .
I just joined this site .
If you need any help whatsoever about choosing a knife , let me know .
I will guide you the best I can .
It’s funny .... I see a lot of Ontario Knife comments on here .
It’s funny because I just posted a video the other day about my Ontario Knife Collection .
The title is called “ Ontario Knife Company ( OKC ) Salute Plus Hige Shout Out to Knifeworks Louisiana “.
I show you 8 awesome blades by OKC .
My absolute favorite is the SK5 Blackbird.
My Most Sentimental is my USN MOD 0 MK 3 Navy Seal Dive knife ( used by a Real Navy Seal in 2002 to 2004 ).
Cowboy C Bop is the name .
Cone say hello one of these days on YT . ( and if you do , please remind me of where we met . Meaning THIS site .
Haha
Stay safe as always.
PS . I have a bit of an obsession with knife collecting.
You will see what I’m talking about . The collection is still growing !
Drives my wife nuts !!
Welcome C bob,

mind sharing a link to the video or a few photos of you collection.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The more recently made Glocks appear to come with quite a good edge now... But still no chopping power... The suggested Ontario SP-53 will out-chop everything (even Busse) and is excellent, but as I say the coated carbon blade will show its use. It’s rubber handle is a big plus, and I did not find Ontario sheaths bad. Not being hollow grind, the Ontario does require removing a lot more metal in the long run, and from what I heard they need a good sharpening from the get go. This (and the flared tip) makes them less suitable as fighters, but they can get there if you put in the work: They are generally more rough use Survival knives than fighters: The Schf 45 bridges both worlds better, but I do not know how good is its steel. Stock is 0.22” vs a full 0.25” on Ontario. Stainless is always a big plus however. G.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts