Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just looking for a medium large non folder for camping needs and survival uses. doesnt need to chop down trees but is solid and strong and durable for outdoor use. i am leaning toward a tride and true ka-bar but am looking for suggestions

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for a quick response and i was thinking ka bar too

crypt any reason you suggest unserrated i have a leatherman that could saw but i feel comfortable with a larger set up if i was to saw through something. is the serrated section somethign you feel you dont need ellaboration would be appreciated. and the second one didnt pop up.

apologize for spelling

also why the short ka bar as opposed to full length

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also it might be worth taking a look at a Buck 119. This is my carry knife. One word of caution though I had to line the inside of the scabbard with rabbit fur to silence it I do a lot of stalk hunting.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
its easier to sharpen a straight blade. once a serrated blade goes dull its harder to sharpen,specially out in the field. most survival knives you want between 3"-5".they are easier to handle for carveing,skinning and such,and you didnt want one for chopping. i usually have my machete for chopping also http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/13906-1.html and if i get another knife this one is the one im going to get http://www.rockynational.com/5616_E37S-K_SOG_SEAL_Pup_Elite_Straight_Black_TiNi_Kydex_Sheath.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the Hibben knives 'alaska series' blade. It's nice and strong and holds an edge really well. It's got a pretty deep belly so it skins beautifully.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone i was just thinking about the pain of sharpening the serration its a lot easier to just rely on the multitool seration or a camp saw. thanks for the tip and the direction thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thats a whole nother thing you reminded me of my debate of machete versus hatchet.

i grew up tooling around the woods with my friends machete and am comfortable with them but heare great things about the hatchet can anyone rattle off some pros and cons

is a sawback machete a good idea would alleviate the need for a camp saw

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i dont usually need a saw accept for cutting tree limbs so i can set up my treestand for hunting so i got a folding cheapie from walmart other than that i usually use a mechete or if camping maybe a handaxe. but most times im lazy and if i find a large log that is say 6' ill burn the center through in the campfire then gradually work it in .i only do this if im there the whole time to watch it and keep it tended but it works just fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anybody know when/if Ka-Bar will be coming out with Becker's BK-10? I've had a chance to handle one belonging to a friend...and am dying for one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think one of the Ka-bars would be a good choice too. Ka-bar is probably the best value American made knife around. For the $45 to $65 range you can get a tough and durable knife that's been proven around the world for 60 years. Plus in that price range you can get a couple of different handle types and size options to choose from.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Definately check out the smaller ka-bar. I got an email from ka-bar saying they are planning on doing the becker in january for $110.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I used an Ontario RAT7 for a while. You might like that. It has a 7" blade and cost about $100 in D2.

I now use an Ontario RTAKII at camp (with a 10" blade it's too big to wear around). It splits and chops much better than the RAT7. I carry a smaller fixed blade for smaller cutting chores. Check out some YouTube videos on both of these if you want to see them in action.

Ka-Bars are good, I just prefer flat-grind blades.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I now use an Ontario RTAKII at camp (with a 10" blade it's too big to wear around). It splits and chops much better than the RAT7. I carry a smaller fixed blade for smaller cutting chores. Check out some YouTube videos on both of these if you want to see them in action.
dude, that's some weak sauce. how about embedding the video? or at least post a link to what you're talking about. here's the first vid to appear on a search:

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
There are many YouTube videos on both knives I mentioned. None are the best, so I didn't link any. Most people know how to search YouTube, I figure.
:cool:

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i like half serrated. unless your trying to saw through steel bars serrated never gets dull. just buy a knife already why would someone ask what kinda knife to buy???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts