Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my first knife related project- a tanto balisong for my friend, now I have a taste for knife-making :D:
I am going to pick up some steel this weekend, was just hoping people might have a few templates already drawn up. If you got em, post em please :D:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I will try to remember tonight to post a link to site that has a bunch of knife outlines. It's a Bob Engough site or some thing like that. He is a deceased knife maker that his friends maintain his web site in his memory.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thanks, that's the site I was thinking of just couldnt remember the correct name. Got it at home on that computer althought the wife and daughter had different plans for me last night.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
good link... since poco got me hooked and basically addicted on making knives... (lol) I was looking for a good place for designs, and that one is the one that might get me rolling harder on making knives

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your looking to make some cheap knives, leaf springs work great. Cheap steel and they already are hardened.
I never thought of using leaf springs, I like this idea. I was just going to post what everyone uses for steel. I think I still have a broken one from an old truck I used to have, I think I might try making a knife out of one to see if I can without wasting a good piece of steel. :thumb:

·
Right Wing Nut Job.
223 Posts
I have used leaf spring steel before but the guys at the fabrication shop told me that it would need to be annealed again to strengthen it. Good luck!

·
hvac guy
104 Posts
lmb

My brother and i both make fixed blades. For cheap steel use used lawn mower blades if u want good steel try sheffield knife makers supply stay away from stainless yhr heat treat is a mother i use 1080 but 1095 1075 and 5160 are great and easy to heat treat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts