Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been making mental notes what to look out for when I get to the thrift shop. My question is what is best China/Pottery mixing bowls or the plastic ones?

Iv often seen the China ones that my gran used to have, but would the plastic last as long?

I use them for defrosting foods, holding veg waiting to be cooked, making cakes.

The other question is how do you tell a good kitchen knife before you buy it? We have lots of vegetable knives that are as blunt as hell, and I often go back to two knives that are brilliant but dont have a makers name on them.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
plastic or ceramic would really be a matter of choice imho.
I used to have big old cash / masons bowls like my nan had but they broke. Other than that they last forever.
I / we now use a mixture of either plastic el cheapo bowls or cheap glass. Not much difference in results, they are lighter which can be a plus but melt so not much use for say melting chocolate.

Knives can be tricky as even brand names can be crap. Avoid at all costs knock off spanish ones as they rust and the steel is really poor. Like the kind you get from low level general stores, wilko's QD kind of thing.

This might help but the knives the guy talks about can be pretty expensive.
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/129/Chefs-Knives-Rated
I use either global ( high chromova stainless steel) or sabatier ( good carbon)

ALthough there is no reason why you couldnt use a mora survival knife for all kitchen uses.
I apologise for the off site link.
P

·
Self-sufficiency or bust
112 Posts
metal , stone or wood only for me being bowls and/or utensils ect, may be heaver but will last many a life time throught out.

Sushi knife, chopper sharp as hell and last a life time, with a small chopping kinfe you can do almost anything with.

·
7,504 Posts
I dislike the plastic bowls, though I used to get them frequently (the "frequently" part was the problem.)

Many of them are made with a separate coating over a base layer. Once the coating starts to get scratches or blisters, it will start to peel and break off in your food.

I get stainless or pyrex now.

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
I have a mix of all kinds that I use for different things. I like stainless the best. It doesn't have any contact problems with any type of foods and you can disinfect it well. I have some old enamel on steel pans that are in good shape and I use those for mixing batches of foods for cooking or canning.
Knives, I look for one where the shank goes the whole length of the handle. And I just keep a sharpener handy in the drawer with the knives. I just got a stone and can't wait to learn to use it properly.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Stainless steel, imo, is the best way to go. Glass breaks and chips, plastic lasts only so long but can get scratched and tends to absorb colors from foods, etc. We still have a stainless one that my husband inherited from a family member long before we got married and we've been married 20 years.

Knives, in my opinion, are really a personal preference. I only use three knives from a whole block full of them. The shank should go the full length, learn to sharpen your knives. One thing I've learned is that if you have good knives, don't run them through the dishwasher or leave them to soak in the sink. I wash mine immediately after use, dry it and put it back. I also ask my husband to sharpen them all weekly or so, I need sharp knives!

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,961 Posts
I like the ceramic better in that it's easier to clean; plastic, over time, will develop abrasions in which food particles and bacteria might settle.

In plastic's favor is that it doesn't break.

As far as knives, I'm going to hugely upset the knife crowd: Years ago, we bought a set of the Miracle Blade III knives for the kitchen. They're stainless, and they are still as good as when we bought them.

I'd buy 'em again.

Know what they cost at Amazon? $19.95.

In fact, cheap as they are, maybe I should buy another set as a backup. :)

Reactions: Purdy Bear

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I like different types for different things. If I had to go with ONE. I would probably go with stainless, as it can be cleaned easily, heated on the stove if needed, used to many things. Right now, I still use the microwave, so glass,ceramic and plastic work for that.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Iv been making mental notes what to look out for when I get to the thrift shop. My question is what is best China/Pottery mixing bowls or the plastic ones?

Iv often seen the China ones that my gran used to have, but would the plastic last as long?

I use them for defrosting foods, holding veg waiting to be cooked, making cakes.

The other question is how do you tell a good kitchen knife before you buy it? We have lots of vegetable knives that are as blunt as hell, and I often go back to two knives that are brilliant but dont have a makers name on them.
Think Stainless Steel
As far as knives. We have a store called GFS (Gordon food service) that sells commercial kitchen grade knives and tools. Try thinking commercial kitchen.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
A lot depends on the plastic.
A hard plastic such as melamine is good, soft gushy plastics such as tupperware do not make good mixing bowls but seem to seal better for storage. For my fading strength, metal or plastic work best, crockery or glass eventually will hit the floor and shatter.

Any type of snobbery will eventually do you in. It's best to lose those attitudes, cooking utensils seem a good place to start.

Be sure to get a sqeezo and screens, and a good manual shredder. The more work you can accomplish in a day the more successful your existence.

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
I bought my bowls and most of my pots and pans at a resturant supply company. Stainless steel, the cooking ones with copper bottoms. That was 30 years ago, they still look new today.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
For bowls I would go with stainless and ceramic/glass. you may want to or need to cook in them at some point. Obviously can't do that with plastic and plastic doesn't clean up as well either.

With knives there are so many choices depending on the use and preference but a full tang, stainless would be be your best in my opinion. They clean up good and sharpen easily. I have so many knives and some have very specific purposes while others are just general use. A good knife should last you about 25 years or longer.

Speaking of sharpening; you should get yourself a good sharpener since all knives dull with use. Some quality cutting boards would be smart too.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
We have ditched all of our plastic small bowels and replaced them with pyrex. I used to get a new set every year or so because they crack and get stained by tomato based items. The only downside is that the lids are still plastic. The actual "Pyrex" brand lids are holding up well. The off brand ones are cracking arround the sealing lip. We basicly have two complete sets of kitchen utincils, if not more. One set is next to my camping gear. I used to bring it along in my boat when we had huge one week outings with a bunch of people.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,739 Posts
I prefer stainless steel mixing bowls and high carbon knives. The knives I currently use are made by J A Henckels and have a lifetime warranty. They are expensive but well worth it if you do a lot of cooking and need good knives.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I prefer stainless steel mixing bowls and high carbon knives. The knives I currently use are made by J A Henckels and have a lifetime warranty. They are expensive but well worth it if you do a lot of cooking and need good knives.
Henkels are a good brand

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The Pyrex nested sets from the 40s and 50s are the best ever made. They're usually in antique stores or flea markets, maybe a yard sale if you're really lucky. Mine has five bowls, from very large to very small, and all have a pouring spout on the side. They also have a pretty decoration around the side which match the bowl colors. Only problems with them is that they're heavy (even heavier when you put something in them), and they break when dropped. I use them anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts