Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy damm i love my fiancee!!! We was at runnings yesterday checking out guns. I been wanting a handgun since we dont have one. Got to looking at emm all and i started oogling the kimbers.. So i let her handle different weapons to feel the triggers and balance of emm all unloaded, then i hand her the kimber i want. the carry 2 with the built in laser in the grip. I drool over this gun, but it costs 1000$. So she is like " you should buy the Kimber!". I was like "Huh......uhh....huh?". she was insistant. But since we going to sturgis this week and money is NOT plentiful with us i passed up the kimber...for now. Though i DID mention it would make a nice present some day. =) I also told her since we are really just getting started in "prepping" that with the same 1000$ i could pick up 2 good pistols so we would each have one. She gave in. Sometimes my common sense gets the better of me.... But i am keeping her!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
The girl's got taste!

My Kimber is definitely the highest quality out of all my pistols (few 1911s, few polymer type). I have the SIS Pro, and it's my everyday carry. Tough, durable, accurate, reliable. The 'pro' is a great size.

True though, if it would cause you to have to skimp on other preps/guns/vacation, then it could be money better spent. But if you've can afford it, I would give my recommendation!

I hate giving the Gov an interest-free loan, but do love getting a fat tax return!!

·
Banned
468 Posts
I had the Poly Pro when it first came out. Big mistake. sent it back to them for several different problems. they took their time fixing the problems. Got it back and was never satisfied with the work. The gun came back with tool marks on the slide. When I went to sell it or trade it for a different handgun to the dealer that sold it to me, he just laughed and said yep he'd had nothing but problems with that model and would not buy it or take it back in trade. He told me to go to a gun show and find somebody to priviate sale it to. Let the buyer be ware he said. I've never gone to him or his shop again. I now tell people that its not the amount of money you spend on the gun that makes it a great gun. Its the manufacture that builds a good or great product at a decent value to the customer. I have a llama 45 that works and shots better then that Kimber.:(

·
Klaatu Brarada Nikto
791 Posts
Do NOT buy the Kimber, yeah.... they look pretty but the party ends there.

Put that Kimber next to a "Loaded' model Springfield and look very closely at fit and finish.....especially the slide to frame fit at the back of the pistol. It shouldn't take long to see that the Kimber is not as nicely fitted.

Now put that same Kimber next to a semi-custom 1911 like a TRP or a Dan Wesson and the Kimber fails epically. On the long list of 1911 makers Kimber is NOT even in the top 5.

For under $1000 you can get a real nice 'Loaded' Springfield that has a lifetime warranty, you may never have to buy another 1911 for the rest of your life.

After owning about a dozen 1911s over the last 30+ years my current 1911s are a light weight Springfield Champion 'Loaded' (OD frame, Black slide) it's my daily carry gun and it eats everything it's fed. My Dan Wesson Valor is my last 1911 purchase ever, it's nothing short of amazing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Do NOT buy the Kimber, yeah.... they look pretty but the party ends there.

Put that Kimber next to a "Loaded' model Springfield and look very closely at fit and finish.....especially the slide to frame fit at the back of the pistol. It shouldn't take long to see that the Kimber is not as nicely fitted.

Now put that same Kimber next to a semi-custom 1911 like a TRP or a Dan Wesson and the Kimber fails epically. On the long list of 1911 makers Kimber is NOT even in the top 5.

For under $1000 you can get a real nice 'Loaded' Springfield that has a lifetime warranty, you may never have to buy another 1911 for the rest of your life.

After owning about a dozen 1911s over the last 30+ years my current 1911s are a light weight Springfield Champion 'Loaded' (OD frame, Black slide) it's my daily carry gun and it eats everything it's fed. My Dan Wesson Valor is my last 1911 purchase ever, it's nothing short of amazing.
Which Kimber's have you owned?

I'm intimately familiar with a Nighthawk GRP, Springfield Operator and GI, Kimber SIS Pro and Warrior, and they are all very nice pistols. I haven't had any issues with jamming after years of use with them all, though some of the tighter guns could have issues outside of target shoots. My SIS hold a special place in my heart, as it's my daily carry, but they are all good guns. I'd say up to about $1500 you get what you pay for, after that the cost/benefit ratio starts to slow...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never owned a kimber, and to be honest the above posts are the first i have ever heard about kimbers having issues. Sounds like i am gonna put off buying a kimber for awhile. And like i said for the price of the 1 kimber i could go and buy 2 good weapons that will still do the job well.

·
Klaatu Brarada Nikto
791 Posts
Never owned a kimber, and to be honest the above posts are the first i have ever heard about kimbers having issues. Sounds like i am gonna put off buying a kimber for awhile. And like i said for the price of the 1 kimber i could go and buy 2 good weapons that will still do the job well.
Go to a gun show and do a days worth of touchy-feely (racking slides and pulling triggers) and do a good visual inspection, focus on how smooth the action is and how the trigger feels on as many quality 1911s as you can, by the end of the day you'll make your choice.

You may even ask to have the slide removed so you can look for machine tool marks, a nice 1911 will have few, if any.

My list of suggested 1911s would go something like this:

1. Dan Wesson, a little more expensive but they are very nice for the money spent. I would choose a DW over a Colt.

2. Springfield Armory, The "Loaded" models are very nice and they are around $800 or less for a new one. They have various versions of the 'Loaded" so check them out. (These are excellent starter guns for the new-b 1911 owner because they are more trouble free out of the box than cheaper models.)

3. If you want 2 1911s for under $1000 it's hard to beat the Rock Island Tactical, or the similar version of the Citadel. The parts are not as high grade as the other makers but I hear they are well made on older Colt machinery to Colt specs. Both are made by the same company. I highly recommend that you shoot quality ball ammo only in these to increase your reliability.

Scan Gunbroker.com and check out some 1911 forums if you want more advice from multiple experienced sources.

Happy Hunting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts