Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been deer hunting and haven't been seeing many deer. There have been 2-4 big fox squirrels eating my corn and I was wondering how I could take them out without scaring the deer. I was thinking some kind of snare or trap. Suggestions would be awesome, but here are the ones that I've thought of so far

1. Slingshot: I'm hunting at 38 yards from my bait, so I would have to try to take one out when I dump corn and I don't know how accurate it would be. This is pretty much a no

2. Mouse trap: Could nailing a mouse trap to the side of a tree and having some peanut butter on it work to kill a red squirrel?

3. Some type of snare: Please give me a tutorial on how to make a snare. Preferably, this snare would be simple to set up and shouldn't harm any deer.

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I have taken fox squirrels with a scoped Crossman 760 pump-style .177 air rifle.

Upgrade from a wooden mouse trap, to a larger Victor rat trap, (even for red squirrels), but the wooden ones are hard to find anymore. They use 'em to take muskrats too.

110 Connibear traps are quiet and great for small game like squirrels and cottontails.

A small steel leghold trap like a #0 or #1 would also work well if you wired bait to the pan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try the snares, if I have time to get to Walmart and get some wire. I might also try to find some rat traps. Do you think I could nail the rat traps to the side of a tree, or is that not a good idea?

·
¡Salga de aquí!
4,290 Posts
I'll try the snares, if I have time to get to Walmart and get some wire. I might also try to find some rat traps. Do you think I could nail the rat traps to the side of a tree, or is that not a good idea?
You can't aim a rat trap and it is about as loud as an air rifle. OTOH a rat trap can sit there all day. Good luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I always carry a 22 with me when I go deer hunting,Deer don't care I've shot squirrels an have deer walk up 5-10 mins. later. And with those .22CB they are quieter than my air rifle.

·
Pencil 5, AUTOCAD 0
3,660 Posts
Rat traps.. victors with the old metal release. a little meat is very good bait. Screw a
eye into one end and wire it to said tree.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to walmart on wednesday to get some rat traps. If I can't find those, will simple mouse traps work?

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,726 Posts
Rat traps, I use them now in my wood pile for population control with good results, though not as yet have I consumed a rat or squirrel just not there yet. Even though I have read here some do with interesting recipes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I suggest marinating the squirrel in something like you would any jerky and then smoking them. It can be a bit of a pain to eat, but it tastes very good.

·
Hunter, Photographer
748 Posts
Just wait and make a day just to go squirrel hunting. Also check state laws, here there is a season for trapping furbearers that includes squirrels and slingshots cannot be used..

I would use an air rifle if you absolutely had to do this though

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,875 Posts
Ditto on the air rifle.
There are some live catch squirrel traps as well.
One is made with a piece of down spout and a screen over the bottom end. Put some corn or other bait inside and hang it vertically on the tree trunk. Squirell goes in. doesn't come out.

There is also the Squirrelenator.

Also as prev poster mentioned, conibear traps .
http://www.amazon.com/Dozen-Single-Spring-Muskrat-Weasel/dp/B0047EDBZ6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1385358490&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=conibear

As always, check and comply with local game laws

·
Always Loaded
2,352 Posts
Your best bet without question is going to be the fairly new CCI Quiets. I know finding any .22 right now is tough, but it's out there. These rounds have been out about 2 years I believe. They are by far the best low noise .22 round on the market, and they still pack a solid punch. I believe they are a 40 gr. bullet going at about 850 fps. Plenty to drop a squirrel. They are much quieter than even a break barrel pellet gun.l

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Superglue a big acorn to a rat trap and nail that to the tree. Then put a squirrel ramp leading up to the trap and have a couple snares on it. Then carry a pellet gun when you are deer hunting.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts