Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of us know, day lilies can spread and take over an area fairly quickly. I need a quick way to kill day lilies and tradescantia (spiderwort).

I tried Roundup (glyphosphate) and the plants laughed at me. I am currently trying weed killer (kills weeds but not grass) as it acts through the roots. My last desperate stop is boiling water on the roots.

Anyone know how to kill these for sure? The spirderwort makes dense root systems, and the stalks snap right off, so I just can't grab a bunch of stalks and pull (been there, done that).

These are nice plants, I just don't need them all.

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
Been dere dun dat. Only sure fire method is a shovel and some digging. Don't try to get them all at once and you will do fine.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Young leaves and stems Tradescantia virginiana, occidentalis, fluminensis and pinetorum are edible cooked (read boiled like a green.)

·
Registered
475 Posts
As most of us know, day lilies can spread and take over an area fairly quickly. I need a quick way to kill day lilies and tradescantia (spiderwort).

I tried Roundup (glyphosphate) and they laughed at me. I am currently trying weed killer (kills weeds but not grass) as it acts through the roots. My last desperate stop is boiling water on the roots.

Anyone know how to kill these for sure? The spirderwort makes dense root systems, and the stalks snap right off, so I just can't grab a bunch of stalks and pull (been there, done that).

These are nice plants, I just don't need them all.
Ive been haveing some sucess with killing day lilies with round up. I bought a bottle of the super concentrate. I mix 4 ounces of that into a one gallen sprayer. I respray every week or so and they are starting to die off pretty well. Now the climbing ivy is holding on for dear life but it looks like im going to win the war also. You have to hit them hard and reattack when they think your giveing up. Victory will be yours. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Eat them. :D: We do. I use them like any other vegetable crop. I posted a recipe for battered daylilies here somewhere.

Otherwise just post on freecycle 'Free daylilies, you dig them'. They go quick.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Fried Day lily

Pick about two quarts of blossoms. You will need 4 to 6 pumpkin blossoms per person. If you're using smaller squash blossoms or daylilies, you'll need 10 to 12 per person. Remove the green spikes at the stem, but leave the stem intact. You can sometimes get these at a farmer's market
#
Step 2

Mix 1 cup of flour, I cup of water, ¼ teaspoon of baking powder and ¼ teaspoon of salt. The mixture should be thin.
#
Step 3

Heat oil to 375 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer, then heat oil until hot but not smoking.
#
Step 4

Hold the blossoms by the stem and skim the blossoms lightly through the batter. Too much batter will mask the delicate flavor. If you get too much on, dab the blossom on a paper towel to remove excess.
#
Step 5

Place the blossom in the skillet and fry 30 to 45 seconds per side. They should be golden brown and crispy.
#
Step 6

Place on paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
#
Step 7

Serve immediately.

·
Never kiss an ugly bear
122 Posts
Cover the area you want to clear with cardboard, wet the cardboard down, and cover with leaves.

Other options for covering are newspaper, an old rug or blanket, black plastic.

It takes a little time, but it works without resorting to chemicals.

If using chemicals doesn't bother you, spray the area with roundup then cover it up. It's sort of a kill and cook method.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I've found that weed killer works best when used on a very hot, dry day. Something about the heat must help it set in.

Some weeds/plants take 2-3 doses to kill them. Try spraying every 3 days or so for a week and see how that works.

On really stubborn weeds, tree stumps or brush, try cutting them down with shears or a weed-eater first, then spray with weed-killer immediately afterward on the freshly cut stems. Never seen anything that can survive that.

I stopped using Roundup a couple years ago because of the cost. Almost $50 for a gallon of concentrate that mixes at 4oz/gallon! I now use the stuff they sell at Tractor Supply, it's $25 per gallon of concentrate and mixes at 2oz/gallon so it lasts twice as long. It doesn't kill in 2 days like Roundup does, takes about 5-6 days, but it stays dead the same.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Cover the area you want to clear with cardboard, wet the cardboard down, and cover with leaves.

Other options for covering are newspaper, an old rug or blanket, black plastic.

It takes a little time, but it works without resorting to chemicals.

If using chemicals doesn't bother you, spray the area with roundup then cover it up. It's sort of a kill and cook method.
Good one. I forgot about that. Used it to clear an area of heavy weeds. Had a garden there the next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts