Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Red White and Blue
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1,400 dead from heat wave?!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/05/28/world/asia/ap-as-india-heat-wave.html?_r=0

*Most of the 1,412 heat-related deaths so far have occurred in Andhra Pradesh and neighboring Telangana, where temperatures have soared up to 47 degrees Celsius (117 degrees Fahrenheit), according to government figures.
"The rains which have eluded us for the last couple of years have created serious drought conditions," said state minister K.T. Rama Rao in Telangana, which was carved out of Andhra Pradesh as a separate state just last year.
"This is unprecedented ... so there is a little bit of panic," he said. "Hopefully the monsoon will be on time. Hopefully we will receive rain very, very soon."*

And I thought our weather was bad!
I feel awful for those people. Many of them are in remote areas and literally have no place to go to cool off. I know when our summers get bad they open libraries and go to the mall and such.

Reactions: Robot

·
The Cannuk Farmer
61 Posts
I was just reading this and thought to myself, "I wonder if anyone takes too much heat into consideration in their BOBs/72-hour kits/GOOD bags"?

Does anyone have anything to deal specifically with too much heat? Up here in Canada we don't tend to have extraordinary heat waves the likes that India is experiencing. I don't plan on too much heat, I plan on too much cold.

In the event of a heat wave combined with loss of power (so no air conditioners, etc), what kinds of things to you all have to compensate and survive?

EJS

·
Registered
750 Posts
I was just reading this and thought to myself, "I wonder if anyone takes too much heat into consideration in their BOBs/72-hour kits/GOOD bags"?

Does anyone have anything to deal specifically with too much heat? Up here in Canada we don't tend to have extraordinary heat waves the likes that India is experiencing. I don't plan on too much heat, I plan on too much cold.

In the event of a heat wave combined with loss of power (so no air conditioners, etc), what kinds of things to you all have to compensate and survive?

EJS
Basements are good for dealing with heat if you are talking about a permanent residence. If we are talking about bugging out, like someone said tarp shelter to keep the sun off of you, plenty of water and electrolytes(gatorade powder or lemon juice, stevia, sea salt, and lite salt{potassium chloride} or maybe some vitamin pills that contain sodium, potassium and other minerals you sweat out profusely), and you need air movement, like from a foldable hand fan, or some kind of battery operated fan. Very thin light weight moisture wicking fabric helps a ton as well, like under armor heat gear(or similar but less ridiculously priced off brands). Everyone should have at least one change of clothes in their bob anyway, pack a poly blend t-shirt that is form fitting, poly blend undies and socks, and a pair of convertible hiking pants made from a material that is semi-tough, acts as at least a partial rain shell, and wicks moisture also. Don't forget sunscreen either, it blocks UV radiation which also adds heat to your body, some people probably overlook this, sunscreen actually helps you stay cooler in addition to protecting from damage to the skin cells.

·
Μολών Λaβέ
764 Posts
My company has a team of four guys there right now working on a project for a few weeks. They are there with nothing but what they could take on the fifteen-hour plane ride. They are working in the sun and living on rancid food and poop water. I am sure they will be glad to be home next week.

Every time we send a group, at least one ends up deathly ill, and that is when conditions are good. No way I am going.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
I thought you were supposed to go into caves, dig into the ground or a multitude of other things to get out of the heat. I would think that they should already know this.

·
Prov 3:5,6
716 Posts
I have been in India pre-monsoon with that temp. Believe me, it is draining. We supposedly had AC but the town turned off the electricity from 2PM to dusk 'to save energy'...I lay in bed with a wet towel on my body, semi-conscious, waiting for sunset. The inside walls were hot to the touch. Edit to add: Drank copious amounts of bottled water; it was hot, too, but at least wet.

Meanwhile, the poor lower castes were working hard in the sun, hauling cast concrete ties along the railroad a few hundred feet from us. When they die from the heat, or exhaustion, or hunger, the overseers just get another one.

To answer some of the above posts, there is nowhere to hide in Andhra. Most of the ground is river delta so if you dig into it, the water table is there, wet. And yes, they drink and bathe in murky, polluted water all the time. Best survival tactic is rest in the shade of a big tree and pray for a breeze. You can't do that if you are required to work in the ricefields from dawn to sunset, however. Life is cheap there...esp for the Untouchables and other poor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts