Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering... where do you buy survival/preparedness stuff [camo clothes, canteens, that kind of thing] for your children? I have a 4 yo boy and a 1 yo girl and am a little lost deciding what they need to have... [and I have to shop online for this kind oc thing, there is nowhere near me to buy it at]

And my biggest question... where does one find toddler sized sleeping bags? LOL.

Thanks,
A

·
Registered
409 Posts
Good post! I have a one year old daughter and have recently been thinking what I should stock pile for her....formula and pedilyte come to mind but other than that I am not sure. Would love to know others opinions and thoughts on this!

Hippie Chick

·
Registered
430 Posts
Good post! I have a one year old daughter and have recently been thinking what I should stock pile for her....formula and pedilyte come to mind but other than that I am not sure. Would love to know others opinions and thoughts on this!

Hippie Chick
Well, what you do is stock up on what children use every day. Clothes, food, drinks, books, toys, crayons and etc. Now, some may think that is stupid, because you are preparing for emergencies, but when you have a board or irritated one year old, it can equal any normal emergency. Now, this can be very hard at times because children change and grow so fast, but you just have to stay on top of it.
I have twin girls that are five, and a son that is one. We have clothes that will fit them for a year or so out. Every few months some are removed and some are added. Just like rotating food. The twins and my son will eat anything we do, so food isn't a problem.(son is off formula now) Diapers are another thing. We have stocked up on the largest disposable diapers we can find, and also some cloth diapers for when the disposable run out. Pedialyte is a good thing for any child though. Pepto-Bismol is another good thing to have for kids. Childrens Tylenol.
Either way, just use your normal every day life to determine what you think would be the best to stock for your children. Just remember that they are children, and need to be able to keep as much of that as possible in any type situation.

Sorry to cut in on the ladies section, but I just thought I would add my two cents.

Wal-Mart and Ebay are my childrens suppliers.

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
My sons BOB contains:

A change of sleep clothing
A change of everyday clothing
Warm weather clothing (hat, mittens, scarf, jacket)
Rain poncho x2
Signal strobe (IR capable)
Chem light
Crank radio
Crank flashlight
3-4 toy cars
Water
Home made MRE's
Poncho liner
Swiss army knife
First aid kit
550 cord

I think thats about it without looking.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts

Hippie Chick
Well- at one year old, you can probably safely skip storing formula... At least more than a can or two ahead... Pedialyte is definately a good thing to have around though. I found that my two wouldn't drink it- the best I can get into them is Gatorade. I'm not crazy about the sugar in either- but do be sure you give DD some to make sure she'll drink it before you go storing it...

Other things for young'uns:

Infant/Toddler Tylenol & Motrin
Thermometer (and an extra or two)
Vaporizer
Simethicone (anti-gas drops)
Infant laxative (at some point most kids need one- and you do NOT want to be stuck with a constipated little one in an emergency...)
Baby foods and manual food grinder (to make your own- jarred to have a few on hand for convenience)
Extra blankets in colder climates
Toys and things to occupy them...
CLOTHES (they grow out of them SOOOO fast)
Diapers (cloth are convenient for storing- disposables require thought to where TO dispose...)
Sling (for easy hands free walking)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have an 8 year old and have been thinking along the same lines.
Not quite the same as a 1 yo, but I was thinking of using a full size sleeping bag and leave it at that.

If a child is short enough, you can fold the excess under and have extra padding.

beSafe

·
Registered
409 Posts
My 1 yr old daughter was recently adopted from another country and was extrodinarily malnorished upon her arrival to the States. She will be on formula much longer than typical American children because of the vitamin enrichement in the formula. I have stock piled about 10 cans or so, shes going to be drinking it anyway. I thought about once I start to use these up stock piling dry milk because it has a long shelf life. However I have never had it before...will your kids drink it or is it gross? In addition to being on formula she cannot swallow normally due to her lag in development. Shes able to eat stage2 baby food and thats it, she chokes on everything else, even purred food. If I were her biological mother I would say screw it and breast feed her but obviously I can't.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
My two didn't have a problem with dried milk. I'd put some in the bottom of a mason jar, fill with water, add an ice cube, and shake the bejeezus out of it and they were fine.

With her specific concerns, if you're able to, you might want to look into getting a milk goat... Or possibly look into adoptive lactation... It's a stretch, but some women are able to induce lactation via a hospital grade pump, close contact, and maternal supplementation with certain galactagogues... http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516426 It's pretty intensive, but... It's a possibility.

But yeah- try that mixing method if you're lookin at storing powdered milk :)

(((Good Luck)))

My 1 yr old daughter was recently adopted from another country and was extrodinarily malnorished upon her arrival to the States. She will be on formula much longer than typical American children because of the vitamin enrichement in the formula. I have stock piled about 10 cans or so, shes going to be drinking it anyway. I thought about once I start to use these up stock piling dry milk because it has a long shelf life. However I have never had it before...will your kids drink it or is it gross? In addition to being on formula she cannot swallow normally due to her lag in development. Shes able to eat stage2 baby food and thats it, she chokes on everything else, even purred food. If I were her biological mother I would say screw it and breast feed her but obviously I can't.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have seen childrens Gas mask that look like a hood and suit hooked together. I have owned Camo clothind for my 10 yr daughter since she was in diapers. The rest is normal diaper bag.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Don't forget that kids can have alot of fun with survival training at a young age. My 4 y/o goddaughter has accompanied me on a few wild edibles walks already. She also helps me feed my chickens and gather eggs and fresh veggies from my garden.

Her mom didn't even know what she was learning with me until she went out to a restaurant and brought home a salad Sammy wouldn't eat. As she was carrying it inside Sammy Joe ran off and started picking dandelion heads and wild violets. She didn't think anything of it until the lil one put them in her salad and began gobbling it up. :D:

Mom didn't mind much though (after i explained to her that she didn't need to have her stomach pumped) because lil girl would never eat a salad before for her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just wondering... where do you buy survival/preparedness stuff [camo clothes, canteens, that kind of thing] for your children? I have a 4 yo boy and a 1 yo girl and am a little lost deciding what they need to have... [and I have to shop online for this kind oc thing, there is nowhere near me to buy it at]

And my biggest question... where does one find toddler sized sleeping bags? LOL.

Thanks,
A
I've been wondering the same thing myself! Can't figure out what to get for my 4 year old daughter...
CG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im doing this from memory but here is what I have in DD bag. She is 6.
water bottle
grs radio (this is also a toy for her. She does know how to use it and she uses it daily. Her cousins live about a mile from us and they all have one and talk on it all the time.)
whistle
poncho (sized for a larger kid as it can be used for shelter)
blanket
sleeping bag
Snacks (fruit gummy things, crackers,peanut butter, jellyetc...)
6 ready to eat meals
shoestrings
compass
fire starter (I could loose mine or it be taken)
Multi tool
spoon fork combo
soap
shampoo
tooth brush and paste
clothing
Pants that zip in to shorts 2 pair
4 pair of socks (3 everyday 1 wool adult she can pull the all the way up for warmth)
shoes(tennis and croc in case we cross water light cheap and easy to dry)
Northface jacket lightweight but warm
4 shirts 2 short 2 long
4 pair panties
washcloth that is very small until wet
towel also
first aid kit (has meds, bandage, tampons, pads and iodine tabs)
emergency blanket
Water purifier
GORP with M&Ms
small paper back books
coloring books colored pencils (crayons melt)sharpener
she want a gun but I think she is to young. Even though I was five when I got my first one. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My main focus for my 3 year old daughter and my 8 month old son is oversized things. EVERYTHING!!!

No need to buy a toddler sleeping bag, cause a child sized bag will work just fine. If you have a small child they need to be in a bag with an adult, for multiple reasons. When a little kid wakes up somewhere unfamiliar in the dark they are much less likely to wander off or scream (giving away your position) if they are curled up next to a parent.

Baby BDU's are pointless. Earth tones will work just fine. I personally think people that turn their kids into mini-militiamen look like nuts.

Feed your kids what you eat. If you've got some soy-based macrobiotic diet for your kid you'll be burying a baby in the first days of the madness.

Teach them everything you can now. Most of the current rules will still apply. Don't talk to strangers. Let an adult know before you go anywhere. Don't go places alone.

If you happen to be a bug out fanatic find some way to carry them. Kids will not be able to walk and or run at the same speed as adults. Those backpacks and chest rigs for toddlers can be altered to fit on top of your other gear, but remember, throwing another 30lbs on top of a loaded ruck is going to be an extreme strain. I'd also recommend looking into those big wagons with pneumatic tires. We've got a big wheeled stroller that might also work for a short way, but with today's everything flimsy plastic construction you might need to build something yourself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts