Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long has it been since you checked your kids' bug out bag?
And your own?

So tonight, I was putting away my new rifle when I glanced at my son's awesome Monsters Inc BOB. I started to go on with business but then realized with the changing seasons, I should make sure it was up to snuff.

It wasn't.

Not only was it not, it was FAR from being acceptable for his current height, shoe size and needs. As a newish prepper, I must not have my autopilot on as well as I'd like to think. No, I don't let things go too long but even being a single shoe size too small would be miserable for my little guy - making it FAR from acceptable. So I switched out shoes, added warmer clothes, bigger underwear and socks, and put in a stocking cap and more warm weather gear. I'll need to buy him some gloves to go in it soon. I also changed out his few toys and books and put in some fresh food, water and candy.

Hope my experience tonight helps as a reminder to check your children's BOB.

Anyway, now I have a reminder on my wall calendar and my phone calender to check again in 6 months.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,088 Posts
Each of my kids has a LT foods stash in their book bags..jerky, Slim Jims, Millennium Bars, peanuts, couple pks of MRE "Toliet paper":rolleyes:..just stuff in case they have to hunker down til I can get to them...I was looking at daughters History book the other day and found 4 empty Slim Jim wrappers in her pack...I had told them they weren't forbidden from eating stuff but to tell me so I can refill it...I kinda got warm and had to have another "what if" lesson...good to check

·
Hunter
428 Posts
The schedule that I have adopted (which works for me, but maybe not others). A the daylight saving time change I change the batteries in the smoke detectors, check the fire ext, and adjust the BOB's

I do keep two BOB packed, (one summer / one for winter) at all times for each member of the family, but with a 2nd grader his gets adjusted at least twice a year.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Yeah, I have some "family kits" for the renters (not everyone I rent to is a member of the MAG anymore, but most have been friends already "in the know") that I check a couple times a year to keep current. I have them placed in case of some sort of short term event while I am not around. They were basic 72 hr kits but now are more like twice that for about 3-4 people...more than enough to get the roomies through most stuff if me and the MAG are not home when something goes down.

·
Registered
202 Posts
MsCurious, funny you should mention that. Two nights ago I decided to check and update ours. The zipper on the main bag would not open! Tried everything. Had to finally cut the fabric all the way around to get to the contents. Glad I had another bag of the same size to replace the original. Added a few things and took out a few others. We're good to go again but hope we never have to.

Doorguy, when I cared for my two grandchildren I always used the time change to redo the bags, update kids' clothing and shoe sizes, etc., in their bags. Good idea.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just added some Vit C 'candies' to the mix-up... those are tasty!

It's getting colder... anyone have more suggestions on cold weather BOBs for kids?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts