Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know, I always listen and read intently on what all my fellow peers on this survival form have to say about survival.

Now, 1st time in a very long time, the east coast is supposed to get slammed with over 70mph winds, flooding, rain etc... etc...

I live inside (kinda) a mountain now, I'm nervous of land slides... The rain rolls off the mountain into our kitchen.... (drives me nuts, have to clean the floors every day to keep clean) But I figure our basement is inside the rock so there should be safe....

I do not feel prepared and of course being the best procrastinator in the world... have always said to myself, I'll get to it...I'll get to it... Now, I feel like crap because I am sooooooo unprepared. Funny how things have to happen to you and then you wise up to life. You can read stories, watch the t.v. but until it happens to you your life forever changes.

Well, I just got the "things" off of the deck, filling up the bath tubs with water, getting all my candles and flashlights ready, food... well we have what we have until the can can sale goes off at shop rite (low...extremly low on $$$$$)

Can anyone think of anything else, that I should be doing?

I might be a big baby, I feel like one... but I am truly a little bit frightend.

Should I cook some cookable things now? Just in case? I think I'll get on that next.

Man I need a generator.......

Be well all, and thanks for your advice today tomorrow and in the future.

~M~

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
safety first...water & food....candles, matches, blankets- creature comforts...I think you've got the basics covered. Hopefully you make it through without any damage at all. My guess is if you live "inside a mountain" you made that decision knowing you might get spanked by a few storms. I just can't imagine what your house looks like, but if it has weathered any storms before in the past, then it will do just fine. You are not alone...and you have lots & lots of friends here in this forum, you'll soon see!:)

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
There wont be anything left to that storm by the time it gets to us.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
safety first...water & food....candles, matches, blankets- creature comforts...I think you've got the basics covered. Hopefully you make it through without any damage at all. My guess is if you live "inside a mountain" you made that decision knowing you might get spanked by a few storms. I just can't imagine what your house looks like, but if it has weathered any storms before in the past, then it will do just fine. You are not alone...and you have lots & lots of friends here in this forum, you'll soon see!:)
Yeah, I didn't realize that factor until I moved here. The storms where I live are firocious! I'm at the highest point my house is in the mountain on one side and there is another mountain directly across from us. I have never encountered a storm or severe weather as I have living here. It's quite beautiful, but man, I can feel the vibrations of everything living here.

I feel like I am as prepared as I can be, I just wish that I was more prepared and organized. Had to scramble for everything. Some people on here are just so organized!!!! I was wishing for that organization tonight. The wind is still winding up pretty good. The animals are VERY skidish... we will see what happens.

As of now, I sit with a glass of wine and wait...

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
make sure your ALL important papers are water tight. when it is passing over and you have nothing to do sit down with paper and pen,make a list of all the things you really need to do for next time to make things ALOT easier,then take 2 shots of your favorite whiskey :). look at this as a drill.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cryptkeeper, thanks, I now know that it would make me stress less if I know that I am prepared.

It's funny because, people ask, how do you think you would fair if the SHTF, and I always thought well. I am well diverse in survival mentally. I feel that I would be fine come the day.

But now, this storm is supposed to hit us at aroun 2:00. I just got word from my uncle who is in west virginia that the winds hit a maximum speed there and they are not able to get out of west virginia because the bridge is under water.

This Hanna is pretty powerful, it sounds like it's going to be rough.

I think I am as prepared as I am going to be, my only fear now is that I have to work today and I am supposed to be traveling tward the eye of the storm. The gig is an outside event and these corporate mongrals don't want to cancel the event because of the money that they have already delved into it. So there for not only will I be in the eye of the storm, but I will be outside, under a tent with camera equipment. I'm not so sure this is the smartest decision to be there, but we do need the money and maybe I'm just being paranoid about the whole situation.

Do any of you have any suggestions of how to be prepared while outside in this tropical wind, rain, etc.?? I will be bringing a second set of clothing :)

Be well all and thanks for your replies

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
Need to get you a coleman propane stove along with a generator, also a lantern. a couple of coolers to keep ice in is nice. FYI, if you get a generator with a 220v outlet you can connect this to your fuse box and run small applianances (such as refridge).

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
There is no book,dvd, or special plan. The red cross says 72hr kit because they felt that was the best they could get the public to do. Not because it was much of anything at all.

Only the individual can assess their situation and list the potential outcomes and then weigh the pros and cons of what they need.

You came here and thats the difference. Now you can explore and bounce ideas around. That is the first step.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have the lantern, have a hibatchi :) just need the generator now.

I have found a store down the block that sells dry ice. It may leave a film in the fridge, but at least my $$$ on food won't go "down the drain"

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Working under a tent in that kind of wind would unnerve me . What kind of tent did they get that can hold up to 70 mph winds ?
We have one of those 10'x20' you can buy at Costco , in our yard for the summer.
A couple of years ago it got hit with a 35 mph gust, it pulled up the stakes and took of like a kite.
............................Alaskan.............

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Working under a tent in that kind of wind would unnerve me . What kind of tent did they get that can hold up to 70 mph winds ?
We have one of those 10'x20' you can buy at Costco , in our yard for the summer.
A couple of years ago it got hit with a 35 mph gust, it pulled up the stakes and took of like a kite.
............................Alaskan.............
Now I feel a little more unnerved before, I think thank you alaskan!!!! lol :) I'm hoping it doesn't collapse, one end being stuck in the ground and have it wailing away hitting people, with the stakes still attached to the "tent". OMG IMAGINE! NOW I'M FREAKED OUT! :(

This is for a corporate event, so 2 tents that can fit caterers, over 100 people, etc. etc. (not sure what else) Maybe a stage kind of thing for these corporate people to make their speaches.

I'm a bit worried, waiting for the dude to call me to cancel, but to no avail, I have heard nothing.

I'll update if I will be traveling.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Something strange I just watched.

There is no rain only wind. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. In NC the wind is at 60mph with no rain, I believe it has passed there and is on it's way up.

Strange though, it is raining where I live, down in Jersey there is no rain as of yet. I'm a bit confused. Well, I bet you're all happy that I'm not a meteorologist lol :) Although maybe I could fit right in with the doppler 2000!!!!! ROFL :eek: :D:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Reactions: musiklover77

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Make sure your gear is protected from wind and rain and can't fall and get damaged. Same for you - keep dry as best you can and if the canopy you're under starts to give way, don't watch it except to see which way and go the opposite.

Recently up here in the PNW, we had a bit of rain and wind and it was very entertaining to watch canopies that weren't staked down do such graceful somersaults over each other...multiply that severalfold with what you are facing and you don't want to get in the way of such antics.

·
Registered
300 Posts
location, location, location...you have to really think out and plan what your crashstead may have to endure from elements and surrounding circumstances...Water is the biggest enemy of dwellings. Keeping it dry,secure,and livable is the challange.

In my crashstead supply area, I have many rolls of heavy plastic covering in various colors and weights, plus many rolls of roofing felt and buckets of tar. Lots of heavy duty staples,nails,tacks, furring strips, and probably miles of duct tape. I have extra screen wire too. Next to the wall, I have a stacks of shingles for repairs from hail,ice, bullets, etc. Also, don't over look the importance of many coils of heavy grade rope.
Wind,water, and snow are a worry if the place suffers damage.

I needed to store sheets of plywood for emergencies. I didn't have the space to stack it or lay it down flat. So what I did was, tack nail it in layers on the walls lining the inside of my garage. Worked out well. Didn't take up that much space either. I lost about 2 1/2 inches of space along the walls...No big deal to me!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well thank you all for your suggestions, they really are helpful, especially since this is my first house and now I finally have room to achieve maybe a 1/4 of what you all have.
I ended up driving down to NJ, man I felt so stupid, the wind and the rain were nothing to be toyed with. I was quite nervous, but had confidence in myself, repeating, God I'm so stupid the whole way down. But since I was already in it and there were many people driving away from the storm I stayed on course. The tent, did not collapse thank God, they tacked the hell out of it, but man my heart was in my chest with every gush of wind. I almost could have sworn that the darn thing was going to fly away.
It was quite the adventure, I am safe and sound and I have learned quite a lot not only about myself, but of being prepared.
It also made me think of when I was younger and my father would always make me a "tool/safety" kit for my car.
Now that I'm older, I think I should get on that ASAP.
Thank you all very much for taking the time to speak with me.
~M~

1 - 20 of 23 Posts