Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
kevs spring 2010 survivalist garden

Here is my first garden update for the month of May:

The first tomatoes starting developing - The patio tomatoes were the first tomatoes to start developing, with the grape tomatoes in second place.
The snap beans are starting to get blooms and their starting to run.
The potato plants are nice and big - some of them are 2 feet tall.
The corn is anywhere from 6 inches - 1 foot tall.
Some of the snap bean plants look like they have 6 blooms on them.

Some of the snap bean leaves look like they are developing a bacterial infection. Hopefully this can be fixed with a solution of soapy water.

·
I have control issues
6,142 Posts
Your garden is looking good, Kev! I just got the rest of my garden planted this weekend...and I'm a bit "early" for up here! Gads, I miss being in Texas!

·
Registered
33,284 Posts
Looks good kev, I like your nice wide rows. We don't plant here in Ohio until the end of May. We'll have our beans ready to pick by the first week of July. I can't wait because last years stuff is just about gone.

Strawberries are doing great, we should be picking next week

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks good.

Have you tried sweet potatoes? Somome told me that they spread like a squash or cuc, but i cant imagine that.

Thansk

·
Board Supporter
2,049 Posts
Looks good.

Have you tried sweet potatoes? Somome told me that they spread like a squash or cuc, but i cant imagine that.

Thansk
Yes indeed they do! They grow vines and last year mine crossed into the rows on either side ... it was my first year planting them, so I was unaware of the way they grew! Some of the vines had six and seven foot runners on them. One thing my dad told me was never to throw the vines back into the garden or compost once you have dug them up, because when they dry out, they are so tough, they will tangle up in the tiller. We threw the vines in a ditch we are trying to fill up. I got the seedlings from a lady off of eBay, and they did really well for my first attempt.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Here is my first garden update for the month of May:

The first tomatoes starting developing - The patio tomatoes were the first tomatoes to start developing, with the grape tomatoes in second place.
The snap beans are starting to get blooms and their starting to run.
The potato plants are nice and big - some of them are 2 feet tall.
The corn is anywhere from 6 inches - 1 foot tall.
Some of the snap bean plants look like they have 6 blooms on them.

Some of the snap bean leaves look like they are developing a bacterial infection. Hopefully this can be fixed with a solution of soapy water.

YouTube- Garden update May 2, 2010 first tomatoes
Thanks for the videos Kev. Looks like all your hard work is paying off. I got a chuckle at the excitement in your voice when you saw the first grape tomato fruit. That is what its all about...

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Kev, you are lucky down there in Southeast Texas, your growing season is nice and long. I live in Ohio and unfortunately we can't plant until mid-may or we have a danger of a spring frost taking our stuff out. All of my plants are going in tomorrow (May 16) and we just had a frost last Sunday (May 9), but I am told that was probably the last one so I should be safe putting these in the ground tomorrow.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Kev, you are lucky down there in Southeast Texas, your growing season is nice and long. I live in Ohio and unfortunately we can't plant until mid-may or we have a danger of a spring frost taking our stuff out. All of my plants are going in tomorrow (May 16) and we just had a frost last Sunday (May 9), but I am told that was probably the last one so I should be safe putting these in the ground tomorrow.
Same here in Holland, lucky Texas!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
We made the first harvest yesterday - we picked a bunch of snap beans and a few squash and zucchini.

The rain we got last weekend helped some of the seeds that we planted go ahead and sprout. So the harvest is going to be spread out over several weeks.

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
We made the first harvest yesterday - we picked a bunch of snap beans and a few squash and zucchini.

The rain we got last weekend helped some of the seeds that we planted go ahead and sprout. So the harvest is going to be spread out over several weeks.
How exciting! Harvest is still a dream and a hope here. I certainly envy the long growing times you have down there although I know from visiting Grandparents in Buna/Orange when I was young that August heat is the price you pay for it!!

·
Banned
376 Posts
Damn, here in Montana we don't even plant outside until the first week of June, and it's over in September. I think I'd be better off in Idaho in zone 6. I'm in zone 4.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We racked up on the snap beans this weekend. I wish I had a regular sized bushel, but we made due with what we had.

I estimate that about 4 - 5 gallons of snap beans were picked.

·
Raving Loony
2,253 Posts
Snap beans are aother term for edible-pod peas, yes???? Or no???? I've often heard snow peas referred to as "snap peas."

I think I must be doing something wrong if that's the case. I really enjoy what we get out of them, but it's not much. Bear in mind, what fits is 2 rows about 8-10 feet long. Still seems to me five of us ought to get more than just a few meals out of it.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
beans or peas

Snap beans are aother term for edible-pod peas, yes???? Or no???? I've often heard snow peas referred to as "snap peas."
From what I understand, the term pea and bean more refers to a family, or a scientific classification then anything else. There are differences between certain types of peas and beans, but then again, some of them are almost exactly the same.

When I use the words peas and beans:

Peas - you wait until the pea/bean inside the husk is mature, then you pick the husk, shell it and remove the pea from the inside. You only eat the pea that was inside the husk.

Beans - you harvest before the pea/bean inside is mature. The whole thing (except the ends) is edible. You remove the ends because they have a point on them, and the point would not feel good going down your throat.

If you go to the store and buy some dried pinto beans,,,, its the same thing as a pea - it looks just like a purple hull pink eye pea.

·
He is risen
1,617 Posts
Texas rocks for garden growing .... I've had mine in the ground since the first week of April , and I've already got red cherry tomatoes .

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
harvesting potatoes

Its time to start harvesting the first of the potatoes. When the potato eyes were planted, they started growing at different rates. Some of the sprouts did not break through the ground until 6 weeks later, while some broke through the ground a couple of weeks after they were planted.

Today, we harvested about 5 gallons of potatoes from about a dozen or so plants.

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Kev,

I noticed from your video that you had a lot of grasses and other plants growing up around your potatoes. Do you weed the garden much? If not, does all the other weeds seem to have any negative effect on your plants?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
ooh dear, time I got my taties in. they've well died off. I must say, that breed of potato looks easy to harvest. i have to dig up from below with a spade to make sure I get all of my taties out.

Look beautiful - and that soil is a very interesting colour :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts