Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,628 Posts
Sealed and kept cool, it lasts for years just the way it is. Pri-D will work with kerosene, but I don't know if it would be safe to burn indoors after being treated. The preservatives are meant for preserving fuel. I've got some 10 year old kerosene that's still in great shape, but I don't know how much longer it will last. It's one thing I have a hard time rotating. I guess I could burn it in my diesel van, but I'm too short on money right now to buy more. I have to special order it from the petroleum distributor.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,545 Posts
I have at least 30 gallons of kerosene stored on my mtn retreat and 25 gallons are about 20 years old. Once a year I use a little burning it in a kero-sun heater. It is a little smokey but the kerosene still works well.
And I also use a little kerosene to get a fire going especially on real cold mornings when I want to get the fire going fast.
I don't think there is limit and even some that might be 50 years old will be good especially just getting a fire going in a campfire or woodstove. Kerosene does not explode like gasoline does. And I have even burned a little in a tuna can although it is best to use it getting a campfire or woodstove going...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Why has K-1 kerosene got so high priced....I recently purchased a 2 gallon plastic jug of it at local hardware store....price was $20.18,,,,thats $10.00 a gallon....when I was a kid....we used to get it for 15 cent a gallon....I use it to burn in my kerosene stove....it works as good or better than my Coleman stove.....SEMPER FI

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
Why has K-1 kerosene got so high priced....I recently purchased a 2 gallon plastic jug of it at local hardware store....price was $20.18,,,,thats $10.00 a gallon....when I was a kid....we used to get it for 15 cent a gallon....I use it to burn in my kerosene stove....it works as good or better than my Coleman stove.....SEMPER FI
It is the dollar going down plus the hardware is gouging you. I purchased K-1 at a gas station two or three weeks ago. Price about $319.9. On the way home I was thinking I used to by this for $.25 in 1964. That was a silver quarter. I purchased some silver quarters at $3.25 (13X) the week before. So the kerosene did not go up the dollar went down.:mad:

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
Two gas stations in my town carry kerosene. One is clear one is red dyed. Both are about $3.50. The $3.19 I purchased was about 15 miles away and was clear. I can have the oil company deliver red dyed directly to the house. 100 gallon minimum. My daughter has a Mobile home and uses this red kerosene in her oil burner. It works better because of the small nozzle (.45 gallons/hour). I have two 55 gallon drums of red. I do not think it burns as well in wick appliances. I use it to add to home heating oil I use in my diesel tractors during the winter months. I would use it in a wick appliance in an emergency. I am trying to get two 55 gallon drums of clear.

·
Miles togo before I sleep
472 Posts
Check prices at your local and area airports for Jet A fuel.
I see it going now for about $2.93.

·
Rome fell.
316 Posts
Google. It lasts a very long time without treatment. At least 2 years. More if you treat it. Diesel needs PRI-D or something similar and a biocide. With treatment diesel will last 2 to 3 years as well. BTW, I heard you can run Kerosene mixed with diesel if you have to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts