Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of picking up a kerosene heater for the winter just to have around in case the electric goes out.

I'm looking at one like this:

Found here.

Nothing too fancy. Battery ignition, fan, external fuel tank.

I would only use it during the day when the family is awake and never when we are out.
I just want to have something on hand for a few days without power.
Also, I think the top would get hot enough to heat up water if need be.

Would this be a good idea or should I look at a different heat source?

-- PS. I rent so I can't add a wood stove which is what I would really rather have.

-HikerDad

·
Registered
250 Posts
you might think about getting a kerosene/diesel drip stove. they don't use electricity at all, they are completely maintenance free, and they put out a lot of heat. they do require a stovepipe running out the ceiling tho.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a couple portable Kerosene stoves as back up. I use them in the basement on -20below nights for heat as our woodstove heats the house well, but not the basement. I would get the round type heater as the top gets hot enough to cook on. We had a bad ice storm in 1998 no power or phones or cable for 22 days. Many people used the round kerosene stoves as their sole source of heating and cooking. Fortunately I had a wood stove, propane stove, propane clothes dryer and satellite TV that plus a small gasoline generator we lived pretty well...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I recall during our 22 day ice storm no one was overcome by carbon monoxide from kerosene heaters,thankfully. The radio ran constant warnings about that. I do recall some of our less bright citizens getting smoked out of their homes because they used downed power poles as wood stove fuel. Power poles are treated with tar and insecticides to make them last longer...fortunately no one was killed doing that either.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up a kerosene heater for the winter just to have around in case the electric goes out.

I'm looking at one like this:

Found here.

Nothing too fancy. Battery ignition, fan, external fuel tank.

I would only use it during the day when the family is awake and never when we are out.
I just want to have something on hand for a few days without power.
Also, I think the top would get hot enough to heat up water if need be.

Would this be a good idea or should I look at a different heat source?

-- PS. I rent so I can't add a wood stove which is what I would really rather have.

-HikerDad
I have one like that. The battery starter is worthless. I use a grill lighter to start mine. It won't keep a large area warm in the winter. Our furnace went out last wintter for 4 days. With that kerosene heater a electric space heater and the oven on with the door cracked open we stayed reasonably warm. Kept the family room, kitchen, bathroom and one bedroom reasonably warm with all the above on.

I bought another kerosene heater as a spare so if we had problems with the first we would still have a heat source.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,788 Posts
You need to be careful with kerosene heaters because they put out CO (carbon monoxide). You need to have a window cracked or something in the room they're being used in to get some ventilation.
Not entirely honest there. :)

Kerosene heaters MAY put out carbon monoxide, if they are not operating correctly. It is a possibility, not a certainty.

Which is entirely different from saying that kerosene heaters put out carbon monoxide.

To be safe get a CO detector.

I have a kerosene heater in our home as a backup.

:)

·
Silver Wings
11,354 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I lived in rural NC in a 1962 New Moon travel trailer back in the woods for over 5 years. It was my "fortress of solitude" after military and a divorce. I heated and cooked on mine safely the whole time. Couple of cans of soup, sitting on top, turned down low (be sure to either open can, or put in pot), hot meal when I came home from work.
You don't mess around in Yadkin County...

·
Registered
45 Posts
we've had our kerosene heater since the ice storm and last year it was our only household heater and we love them. We have the round type and it cooks very well. The ice storm is what began our prepping 22 days no electric.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i just fired up my KOGY. 45* tonight its said and ill be toasty.be careful, and learn the way of the kero-heater!! you can stay temperate down to -2o. i did it last winter.:D:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts