Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stuck in a dilemma. I am trying to decide on a kerosene lantern to buy. I am looking at the Coleman 639 pressure lantern. I can get it new for $65. I have looked at the Petromax lanterns, but they are a little pricier, but can handle other fuels. I have heard mixed reviews on the current Petromax lanterns on the market.

As a little background, I already have a Dual-Fuel Coleman lantern and a few wick type kerosene lanterns and lamps. I would just like to add a pressure lantern that would run off kerosene since I have a pretty good stock of lamp oil and kerosene for my heater.

Any ideas or experiences would be welcome.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Why a pressure kerosene lantern? Why not an Aladinn Lamp, quieter and still get good light. They have the mantles and give off about the same as a 60 watt bulb...plus they also throw a lot of heat...I have one that I use when the power goes out...I like the quiet of it, no hissing..and they sell for about $65 and up depending on how fancy you want...Lehmans in Kidron Ohio sell them, and probably several other Amish type stores..

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Why a pressure kerosene lantern? Why not an Aladinn Lamp, quieter and still get good light. They have the mantles and give off about the same as a 60 watt bulb...
Sometimes you just need something other than dim lighting. The Britelyte CP150 is the equivalent of a 100W bulb, and the CP500 = 400W. Yeah, it's a trade off, but the light is nice when trying to do fine detail work. By the way, I have both! :D:

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,668 Posts
I second the Aladdin. The Petromax is another great choice. A better option if you need to use it in the field, since it's more durable than the fragile Aladdins.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
After dealing with a kerosene pressure stove I'm done with those things.

Have one table lamp (what you call Aladdin lamp) and two kerosene lanterns of the type you can carry around, with wick.

Those are my choices (and two of them have been with me for over 20 years :) )

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The first question I'd have to ask is what do you want a lamp for? We have both pressure kerosene and regular kerosene lamps. If you want bright light and are not concerned with fuel consumption then by all means go with the pressurized lamps. If fuel economy is a concern and moderate light is sufficient then regular lamps are great.

I can speak from personal experience that I've painted an entire house (well, duplex) interior by kerosene lamp and it was more than adequate. So the real question is what do you need the lamp for?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have the Coleman, it can be a bear to light. Also need to put some alcohol away, need it in the tray to light first, to vaporize the kerosene so it will burn through the mantle.

Also have two aladdin's proper fuel is harder to find, regular kerosene won't work, maybe I have done something wrong but when I use them the mantle will carbon up and start to smoke and I have to keep adjusting the wick not really a problem just annoying

Also the regular kerosene lanterns do work, have a few of these and like them. What ever you choose if all types which is the way I went, is to have extra wicks that fit the system and mantles also the glass chimneys for the aladdins plus the glass for the Coleman and the others.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,668 Posts
Kerosene works fine in my Aladdins. You do need to adjust them occasionally. I learned to run the wick slightly lower than maximum brightness and it'll never carbon up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the input, Mike I'll have to try that technique with kerosene, question is this regular kero or white kero I can get both here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a few Petromax 550 lanterns that where german army issue from the late 60's they work great and can still get parts from Britelyte for them. can easily get 8 hours on high from a tank of karosene.I would like to get a Britelyte 550 and see how a current model works.

·
Registered
16,143 Posts
Why spend a lot of money?

Led flashlight for important stuff, inexpensive kerosene lantern for low light and extra heat.
That is a good point, in a SHTF scenario, fuel may be harder to obtain than batteries. That said, we have all options, two Aladdin's, several kerosine lamps, Coleman pump and propane lanterns, LED and florescent tube lanterns and lights.

Then again, lighting is not one of my priorities, when it gets dark, I go to bed. When it gets light, I get up with the chickens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
in our case when we only have daylight for a few hrs a day good light is nice and the heat they put out is nice.we keep a good supply of kerosene.we also have a variaty of oil lamps which are great for general lighting and cant beat the new LED flashlights/headlamps.

·
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
2,529 Posts
I have two Dietz kero hurricane lamps, I have no complaint or issue.

If I want MORE light, THEN the Coleman pressure lamps (gas & propane) come out... but for casual light... Dietz fills the bill fine...

As was mentioned above, I keep mine just below max too... and dont have carbon problems either. (But, duah... thats common sense)

EB

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
That is a good point, in a SHTF scenario, fuel may be harder to obtain than batteries.
and, for the cost of one really expensive lantern, you can have a solar charger and a dozen eneloop batteries. And it'll recharge your batteries for other electronics, like walkie talkies

my Dietz for winter light (1000btu each is, well, something) and LED for summer light.

·
Registered
16,143 Posts
and, for the cost of one really expensive lantern, you can have a solar charger and a dozen eneloop batteries. And it'll recharge your batteries for other electronics, like walkie talkies

my Dietz for winter light (1000btu each is, well, something) and LED for summer light.
Exactly! CYA, be prepared in as many ways as possible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts