Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use fuel oil and electric heaters. I keep the thermostat set at a low temperature, and then I use electric heaters around the house as needed, so that I'm not heating the whole house up. The furnace requires a fan to blow the heat.

I'm looking to add some options for heating, in case the grid goes down, even for just a few days. I don't have the money, nor really a safe place, to put a wood stove.

What about a Kerosene heater?

This thread here mentions an article that says that
The company, set up by US entrepreneurs, says indoor air pollution by Kerosene fumes kills 1.5m people per year.
but someone else commented that they are probably referring to premature deaths caused by years and years of exposure... and you have to take into account that the article is trying to push their product on you, so their data might be biased.

This post here recommends this type of heater as safe.

Anyone else share their experience?

I'm looking for a heater that I could use during a power outage and even while I sleep and preferably without having to crack a window.

Also, what kind of fuel should I use? I thought I could just use the Kerosene that you can get at the gas station. I was looking at the reviews online for some of these and people said that the gas you get there makes fumes, and you'll want to get 1-K heater fuel (which when I checked online at some stores, was a bit over $10/gallon - more than twice the price of the normal stuff at the gas station).

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
I grew up around them..

I think they are great.. but a full tank only last about 8-30 hours depending on use..

Although..
we also had the one where the top would heat up..
we cooked on top of it.. it worked almost like a crock pot
ham and beans ... spaggie sauce... pot roast.. stew.. soups..

now days.. its a child saftey hazard to have them where the tops get hot
but then you have the price of kerosene ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,204 Posts
here where i live, kerosene is just too expensive. usually at least $1 more per gallon than gasoline. i had a kerosene heater for a number of years, 20 or so. that's more than a few wick changes for sure. finally got rid of it in exchange for a propane heater. this is the one i chose: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578251_200578251
i also have a mr. heater big buddy for heat on-the-go.
just my $.02.

all indoor combustion heaters require air to burn. you will get varying amounts of carbon monoxide depending on heater type and size. you will have to allow venting for fresh air to enter an enclosed space. also, make sure you have good batteries in your CO monitor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,599 Posts
We used to use them as well, then I realized what it was actually costing me. Cheaper to turn on the furnace!

Now, wood is the way we go. Currently have a pellet stove insert on our main fireplace that easily heats the house down to the mid 20s (we also manage solar gain with thick drapes). Costs about buck and a half a day until we have to burn full speed 24/7 then about $4 a day.

Looking for a regular wood burner to go in the basement for burning crud and regular wood that can also double as a stove for cooking if need be.

Also looking to convert the pellet unit to 12V just in case. Generally have a year's supply of pellets on hand as we buy by the pallet. Better price and we know we will make it through the winter!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
46,784 Posts
I have the same heater :thumb:

I use a 20" box fan to move the heat through the house -- I keep a window cracked open 4" in the basement ( fresh air ) and the upstairs bathroom fan on to suck the fumes out :thumb:

3 years and not dead yet ;)
 

·
Forum Administrator
Joined
·
16,729 Posts
My kerosene space heater emits some kind of film that develops on the doors and cabinets, is that normal?
 

·
My Temperature is Right
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
My kerosene space heater emits some kind of film that develops on the doors and cabinets, is that normal?
If it's a whiteish film yeah, it's sulfur from hi-sulfur kerosene, which is usually what we get here. If you use a newer model radiant type they are made to burn off the sulfur and it doesn't gather on the catalyst like it does on the older ones. I found a couple of catalysis from newer toyos that I put on my older models that don't use pinned wicks and they work well and don't turn white. Burns a little more fuel per hour though but it burns hotter.

About half way down this page is a picture of a catalyst and heater cabinet coated with sulfur film
http://www.milesstair.com/kero_fuel_primer.html#TANK://
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
563 Posts
Buy some petromax type lanterns. They make light, heat, and with a stove adapter you can even cook on them. Britelyte lanterns can burn gasoline, kerosine, alcohol, and whatever. Burn as many or as few as you need and the fumes allow. I bet you'll find the higher combustion temperatures in a lantern will produce a lot less stink than wick heaters...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,555 Posts
it is still a live flame and burns oxygen,thus needs air.
those are ment for well ventalated areas.
Even if you were burning candles , which work well as a heater also ,they would still need air . If it has a flame it must have air. Carbon monoxide is the result of burning air. Breathing burns air .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice! You have to remember that there's many of us who have never used one before and therefore have no experience or knowledge about the subject.
 

·
Subculture
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
I grew up with them in the house in town. We burned wood out at the ranch house. Other than the occasional fumes and soot if it isn't burning right, we are still alive. Just keep it clean and in good repair and you will do fine.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top