Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Bullet heater

This looks just like the bullet heaters that I've suffered with ever since I started working big construction four decades ago.

The heaters were not for the comfort of the workers, it was for the contractors to make money faster.

The heaters kept the paint and drywall mud from freezing and kept all things money related from getting too cold to work with.

If these heaters are considered indoor/outdoor it's not because they are safe.
It's because you can blast heat at any open area.

The fumes and carbon monoxide are not an issue unless it starts costing the contractor money.

If I'm wrong and that is not a link to a bullet heater, then I have wasted your time and mine.

Wheel

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
I had one for my shop. The fumes in a closed area will kill you!! It did warm the shop, then you have to open the big door to let in fesh air and loose the heat. I have two propane heaters that look like the kerosene model. Works great - no fumes- propane is cheeper than kerosene in my part of the world.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Any heater which burns fossil fuel (kerosene, propane, oil, gasoline, etc.) gives off carbon monoxide - - which will kill you

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any heater which burns fossil fuel (kerosene, propane, oil, gasoline, etc.) gives off carbon monoxide - - which will kill you
Why is a normal non-blowing kerosene heater considered ok for indoors though? Do they not burn as much fuel as quickly as these bullet styles?

·
Just a little more.
832 Posts
You are right but take into consideration the degree of concentration that changes with what type of fuel you are using, how it is burned, and air circulation. We don't have central air in the house but we do have two of the big open front propane heaters that you light with a match. They were installed 40+ years ago and have had no problems.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I was at Lowes yesterday. I saw the Heater Buddy for sale. It stated clearly on the box that it is safe for inside use. It can heat up to 400 square feet. I'm thinking of buying one as an emergency heat source for the house in winter if the electric goes out.

I didn't see the small fuel canisters for sale as well. Anyone know where I can buy those?

·
Banned
1,146 Posts
I was at Lowes yesterday. I saw the Heater Buddy for sale. It stated clearly on the box that it is safe for inside use. It can heat up to 400 square feet. I'm thinking of buying one as an emergency heat source for the house in winter if the electric goes out.

I didn't see the small fuel canisters for sale as well. Anyone know where I can buy those?
It looks like that model has a low oxygen sensor. This is the reason it claims to be safe for indoor use. Due to this being another Chinese junk heater, if you plan to run it in doors I would buy a carbon monoxide smoke alarm for a backup.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'll try simple

I'm a simple man with simple solutions.

Here's my take on kerosene.

If it makes a loud rushing noise while it's lit, it's not good for indoors.

Keep some spare wicks for the quiet kerosene heaters.
When the wicks get funky your kerosene heater is worse than useless.

If it's a Heater Buddy, make sure you have propane for it.

Wheel

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,668 Posts
Those guys make a LOT of heat, but they also use a lot of fuel to do so. They're also not rated to be safe indoors. I assume the method of combustion isn't clean enough to be safe.

You're better off economically, to heat only small areas where you will be spending your time. Kerosene or propane space heaters that are rated for indoor use are cheap and efficient. No matter what you choose, be sure to always have a CO detector in the same room as the heater. I've never had my kerosene heaters set off my CO detector, but I will not burn them without it.

Why is a normal non-blowing kerosene heater considered ok for indoors though? Do they not burn as much fuel as quickly as these bullet styles?
Some fuels, if burned at the right combustion ratio and temperature, give off very little CO. Propane and kerosene are two of them. The indoor heaters are designed to be burn safely if you follow the directions and keep them properly maintained. But you have to pay attention!

I used a Kerosun 23,000 BTU heater in the house for a few years and only one time did I have a problem. Somehow I didn't get the inner cage set back properly and there was a gap that I didn't notice. The house filled with smoke and the heater filled with soot! I was asleep at the time, also. I was very lucky to have woken up. I was lucky because the room the heater was in was very big and somewhat drafty. The CO never built up to lethal levels.

Double check everything before lighting it each time. Dry burn the wicks and replace them according to the instructions, etc.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,802 Posts
Hydrocarbon combustion normally produces carbon dioxide, which only Al Gore worries about. It can combust to monoxide if used in an oxygen poor atmospere (hence the O2 sensor) or if room air is not allowed to mix well.

I use the circular wick type of kerosene heater in my garage with no worries. I would choose the heater with the O2 sensor for indoor use.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Corn, I used to have one of these in my garage, nice heat and fast but they do produce CO2 and do NOT have an O2 depletion monitor, so they will eventually burn up all the O2 and produce enough CO2 to kill you and yours.

Don’t use them in an enclosed space.

Stay safe.

There are clean burn heaters that use kerosene and I have a natural gas on in my workshop. Go that rout.

Reactions: Pixelguy

·
Registered
324 Posts
The style of heaters on the OP is for use outside, maybe a shop or garage or new construction. I would not ever run it inside my home because of the posibility of CO2 and the smell. Even burning kerosene, the combustion is not very clean and will cause a good headache if the area is too air tight. I use mine in the garage which changes air quite often. Propane heaters may be a little safer if used indoors but the noise will drive you nuts. Sounds like a rocket. I would look for some of the radiant propane heaters.

Here is a link with many to chose from.

http://www.heatershop.com/propane_radiant_heaters.html

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I'mma big believer in buying that sort of thing offa craigslist. Bullet heaters go for about 80bucks radiant and convective heaters go for about 50.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,836 Posts
We have a 200Kbtu like that, around here they call it a 'salamander'.

Alwasy use a CO sensor, we keep one plugged in.

They work great :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts