Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
281 Posts
kersone vs. propane

I would have to go with propane. With differing size tanks storage is not a concern. Also some might object to the odor that kersone burns off. Most propane companies deliver to rural areas and with a average size tank you should get two to three months use from one tank depending on frequency of use. It is also a moderately priced heat source.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've got two kerosene heaters and they work well, but kerosene has become difficult for me to find. Places that sold it even two winters ago have quit carrying it, supposedly because of lack of demand.

In contrast, I can get propane everywhere. So, I recently bought a Big Buddy by Mr. Heater and I've begun stocking propane, which can also be used with my portable lanterns, stove, and grill.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
+1 on The big buddy, it is a good heater for room size heating. It uses propane canisters and you can get a hose to use it off of the 20lb propane. It has an oxygen depletion monitor and a tip over sensor and has a small fan in it that runs off of D cells. I have had one for a couple of years and love it. Great for camping.
If you need to heat a larger area check Northern Tool for a selection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ventless propane all the way, last winter we got a kerosene heater.. kerosene was and is hard to find. Plus, I cracked a window while using the heater last year, and after about a month of daily use...I was forgetting a lot, had headaches etc. It's still packed away in the garage. But with our electric bill doubling this month, I'm temped to get it back out again, but am kind leery about doing so.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
I have the Mr. Heater Buddy ( smaller version, no fan) and it works mint I purchased the hose and "T" tap to put on the 20# tank it works great. It was a gift from my wife 3 years ago and I honestly think its the best for heat.

I too stock up on propane for it as it will be a small part of our BOL heat source

·
Registered
31 Posts
I almost bought a Mr. Heater Buddy- but have been worried about the propane indoor use. Aren't there problems using it indoors?
I was going to go buy a kerosene heater this week. Lowe's in my area has them along with 5 gal containers of kerosene.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've also been wondering about these. In my apartment, if I turn the heat up enough to be comfortable downstairs, I sweat myself out of the bedroom upstairs. My two concerns are using it inside, and the dog.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was younger we struggled for a year to pay the bills as dad lost his job and started a new one to get him by and it didnt pay well so we heated our home for an entire winter with 2 kerosene heaters. The only time we really smelled the kerosene is when we lit the heater and it went away pretty quick.

We actually live in a fairly small town and kerosene is readily available as some of the farmers here use kerosene heat in pig and chicken houses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got a kerosene heater for christmas from my wife. I think it cost $100. I just bought 5 gallons of kerosene for $23. The tank holds 1.1 gallons and that is supposed to last 12hrs. I don't ever plan running it that much unless the SHTF. I am now mainly using it to keep the living room or basement living room toasty. I can smell the kerosene faintly but its not bad. I just wish I would have had this sucker last year when the electricity went out during an ice storm...I wouldnt of had to run the generator near as much.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
Personally I opted for neither.

When we bought the farm it had oil as the primary with propane backup.

I've left both of them in place but have not used either so far this winter, we burn wood and we have combo pellet/corn burners.

Heating with wood heats twice, while I'm cutting/stacking/splitting and again when I actually get around to burning it.

The pellet/corn burner is doing the yeoman work so far this winter. The vent was an easy install, took about 30 mins probably less.

Guess it is overkill but with Minnesota winters you cant be too sure.

So:
250 gals heating oil
2 100# propane tanks
8 cords of wood current
7,200# of pellets (180 bags @40#ea)

Pellet stove on high is burning roughly 3#s an hour producing between 36,000 and 40,000 BTU.

While it burns pellets or corn I have not used corn yet.

As to kero or propane; propane is better IMO largely for safety reasons. We used kero at the cabin for a long time, never liked having the stuff stored or refilling etc.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
Mr. heater

Just got a Mr. heater buddy & three 20lb tanks,should keep things livable for about 300+ hrs if just used for heat (low setting, small living space). Instructions strongly suggest getting the inline filter( which I purchased). I seem to remember needing to replace the orifice in my torch more than once and now you have to buy a new torch.
So I'd rather not need buy a new heater cause some little unfixable thingy went bad because of a preventable clog.
So seriously consider the filter.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
I have a backup kerosene heater for my house, but it leaves a little smell in the air. And low grade kerosene can leave an oily film in your house.

My parents have a propane heater at their camp. Propane is cleaner burning, and easier to store. You can get a 250 gallon propane tank for your house that will last a long, long time.

Between the 2, I suggest propane. Also, if you really wanted to get into details, you can get an old propane fridge / freezer to go along with that heater. Small propane fridges and freezers are sold at RV stores.

·
Registered
212 Posts
ok heres one for yas
i have a old propane space heater that has a large run of copper line to hook the tank to
i have 1 full tank the problem is its the old style threads
does anyone sell a coupleing to connect a new style tank to it ???
the heater works great it has the decorative bricks(?) in it

1 - 20 of 45 Posts