Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reminded about the Carcano that Oswald supposedly used to kill Kennedy. It made me think of the quote that the rifle sold for $50-$75 and was considered a not so good gun. At the time I was really questioning the possibility of him getting the shots off and the accuracy of such an "old" weapon, lol. Enter my education on the Mosin Nagant. The weapons look fairly similar but the Mosin has a much better reputation. I have not shot either weapon (hopefully that will change soon, ordering a Mosin soon) but I have shot a K31, which is a Swiss WWII era bolt action very similar to a Mosin as well.

After shooting my K31 about 60 times, I can safely say that I can believe that he made a number of shots with that weapon, possibly even with open sights!

I wonder what this world would look like had Oswald used a Mosin for the assasination. A small change like that could possibly make major changes in our world b/c Oswald was a card carrying Commie and supposedly went to Russia and tried to defect at one point. Had he used a Commie gun to kill Kennedy that might have stopped imports possibly.?

Anyway, how many people think that those shots could have been made with the Carcano? Do you think it could have been done with a Mosin more easily had he chosen that?

·
semper in angaria
1,578 Posts
Mosin actions are a P.I.T.A.....Now I do believe a good Enfield would do the trick. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Mosin Nagant, but I'll take an Enfield or Mauser over the Nagant anyday.

·
Registered
257 Posts
the carcano Ozwald bought was out of klines sporting goods for 19.95 +s&h. the mount on it was stamped sheet steel not milled or cast. the scope was good but was out of the leauge for a 6.5. more like a .22's scope or pellet gun.
also carcanos are not compleat junk, that said. factories like bretta and several other turned out rifle of lower quality and poor ammunition to the germans and IL Duce's boys. for example the baretta M38 SMG. an italian old timer on the history channel said that they would make m38's shotty in order to have it break or malfunction on the germans/facist italian. while producing the m38 with great care and top quality for resistance fighters in the area.
carcano did not suffer from a poor design but rather a almost slave labor work force that did not care to produce weapon for the people that opressing them.not to mension they were starving...etc so there are a number of carcanos out there that are made to a low standard in order the thwart the germans. so who knows what the odds are of getting one thats a jewel or a pos.
carcanos have a strange history as far as calibers go 6.5 7.35 and 7.92 JS. things tended to get a bit crossed up because the switched to 7.35, then back to 6.5. then some rechambered carcanos for 7.92 that were for italian troops serving on the eastern front witht he germans.this is not a negative but just strange and probably a quartermasters nightmare.
the only real issue with carcanos is it not handel pressure from peiced primer or a ruptured case very well. but the mosin has the same issue. mauser, enfiled, arisakas and other rifles have the little holes (the technical term escapes me.) just for this situation.
the bolts a bit weird for me and it uses the mannlicher clips but thats like coffee and tea, people have their prefrences.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
LHO did not fire the first shot-the magic bullet. The Z-film shows JFK getting hit and then raising his right hand to the side of his head. Two of the three men who were on the fifth floor under the shooter stated that JFK raised his hand and then the gun went off.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Don't compare the Swiss to the Italian Corcano. I've owned and shot both. I can safely say that shot wasn't made from a Corcano especially one with a loose scope.

·
Tuco
110 Posts
The carcano rifle suffers from not understanding how to use the iron sights and using the right bullet diameter of .268.The action is strong and the Italian Military used the 6.5 carcano and action up in the seventies. I noticed a M 38 carcano that bubba got his hands on sitting in a gun shop for 40.00 dollars.The rifle has a very good bore , but the stock was chopped and 6.5 carcano stamped on top of the receiver. So I bought the rifle as a winter project. Bought a military stock from Sarco and a scope mount from klinka. The scope mount was for a round receiver for a mosin rifle.I took the rifle apart drilled and tapped for scope mount. Notch out rifle stock and everything fitted fine. Bought a AK sliding scope mount and used a 6 power scope.Used hand loads of 6.5 carcano 120 grain coreloks . Took the rifle to the range and it shoots . At a hundred yards shooting at B27 target it is easy to pull off head shots .Hornady military loads shot even better.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,396 Posts
I was just reminded about the Carcano that Oswald supposedly used to kill Kennedy. It made me think of the quote that the rifle sold for $50-$75 and was considered a not so good gun. At the time I was really questioning the possibility of him getting the shots off and the accuracy of such an "old" weapon, lol. Enter my education on the Mosin Nagant. The weapons look fairly similar but the Mosin has a much better reputation. I have not shot either weapon (hopefully that will change soon, ordering a Mosin soon) but I have shot a K31, which is a Swiss WWII era bolt action very similar to a Mosin as well.

After shooting my K31 about 60 times, I can safely say that I can believe that he made a number of shots with that weapon, possibly even with open sights!

I wonder what this world would look like had Oswald used a Mosin for the assasination. A small change like that could possibly make major changes in our world b/c Oswald was a card carrying Commie and supposedly went to Russia and tried to defect at one point. Had he used a Commie gun to kill Kennedy that might have stopped imports possibly.?

Anyway, how many people think that those shots could have been made with the Carcano? Do you think it could have been done with a Mosin more easily had he chosen that?
I've tested the carcano and most other ww2 bolt actions. This gun was not designed for 6ft 2in people with long arms and long necks (short stock and length of pull). The original sights are very different than commercial sights. The trigger sucks.

Replace or pollish the trigger, replace the sights or add a scope, shoot it from a rest and it will outshoot most Mosins.

I still prefer a Mauser 98.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i had the pleasure of speaking with a former italian soldier that was in north africa in WWII. he was a truck drive with the italian army. he drove large Fiat truck (their duce and a half or some thing like it.) he delivered cargo and often dove wounded to the hospitals in the rear. he had the carcano carbine and he did not think much of it when compaired to the mauser and enfield. both of which he has a chance to see up close and use (enfield was after the war.) he thought that it was a little lacking in the beefy battle thunder stick department.he did say to its defence that the carcano is the best weapon for hunting gazelles in the desert. due to the carcano's size and weigh and the safari windows in his truck you are able to hunt from the drivers seat of a fiat. he surrendered in 1942, in tunisia and was able to make it to america and work for a winery here in Ca.
he said its a good weapon just maybe not the best suited for warfare. but thats his 0.02 Lira on the matter. still ammunition was often faulty and quality of manufacture was questionable on rifles and other thing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a Carcano and the only reason why it isn't very accurate is because the barrel is in poor condition. If the barrel was OK I think it would shoot fine. I would rather carry a Carcano in combat than a Mosin because the Mannlicher feed system is better than the Mosin's rimlock prone feed system.

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts

He went to Russia came back and was on the CIA payroll. Do you beleive if you defected as an Ex Military and CIA and you gave away radar secrets to the Soviets during the cold war they would let you back in the country AND get your Russian wife a green card and then rehire you as CIA? That you would even be a free man? And permitted to be armed in the same town and just happen to be working where the Pres of the United States was rolling through in a convertible? Wanna buy a bridge?

As far as making the shots. Not easy but possible.

I personally don't believe a Mosin is superior. I would say about equal.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
People who say Oswald couldn't have made the shots miss two very critical points...

1. Oswald was notorious for ****ing people off at rifle ranges and operating the bolt and trigger simultaneously to do rapid fire shots with bolt rifles. He'd rest the rifle on the bench, use his left to pull the trigger and right to work the bolt. It was jack ass behavior by any range's standard... so it made Oswald "memorable" at ranges that kicked him out.

2. The shots have been replicated several times by moderately skilled, not expert, marksmen.

That said... the conspiracy theories all fall apart on review of the evidence. While a lot of the evidence points to a simple conclusion... i.e.

1. Oswald did it
2. He acted alone
3. And Why? Because he was a glory seeking nut

That still doesn't negate the possibility of a conspiracy and cover up. Kennedy had tried to assasinate Castro how many times? Oswald was a key figure in the "Fair Play for Cuba" organization. He said he was being made a patsy... and then he is killed by Ruby before he can say more.

It will always stink like fish... but the issue of whether or not he could make the shots with that crappy rifle is a moot point. He could have done it easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kennedy Assasination

Tankman, I can't speak to whether the Mosin is superior to the Carcano, never fired either one. I have however been to Dealy Plaza in Dallas several times and each time I'm there, I'm more convinced that Oswald was not the only shooter. With Oswald perched in the window of the 6th floor in the Book Depository, he had a dead-on straight shot at the target as the motorcade approached on No. Houston St. Why would he wait until they turned onto Elm St. to take a much more difficult shot with trees and street signs as obstacles? Only one possible reason; to have all of the shooters on the target at the same time. I can't say how many shooters there may have been; I've looked at where the shots were placed from each of the locations identified in the Warren Commission (the Grassy Knoll, the overpass, and the storm drain). The shots could have come from any one of them but you have to wonder about the "man in the suit and hat" who was seen by several witnesses leaving the area from behind the fence on the Grassy Knoll.

All speculation on my part, I know. And I guess we'll never know what really happened, but if you ever get the chance to go there, just look at the setup and ask yourself; which shot would I take?

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I have spent a LOT of hours exploring and pondering the JFK assassination. It was quite an event in my life. I have also been back and forth countless times, as far as a single shooter, multiple shooters..
I am STILL undecided. LHO might well have pulled it off.. but all of the the bizarre surrounding circumstances are incredible.
As for the rifle...
It's capable in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mag30th?blend=2&ob=5#p/u/0/h4c5Zr7hzzA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts