Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into a pretty cheap pack configuration that I think is pretty cool, and am considering buying. Its the Kelty Cache Hauler.

It is an external frame pack... without the pack. It has a folding shelf on the bottom, with a padded back, which has a pocket for a hydration bladder, has a good load belt, and is rated to hold 140lbs of gear. Of course no one is going to hike out with 140lbs of gear, but you can use it to haul game, firewood, and though it isnt stated in the description... I can see it being used to help carry an injured person if it came to that (it practically has a seat & gurney straps on the back). Its like the bed of a truck... on your back.

The 'complete' version has a 40ish liter bag you can clip to the top of the frame, but I think that would counteract a lot of the benefits of the design. You can tote a bag of any capacity with this thing, and still have only one frame. I have read a few reviews on it, and have heard nothing bad. I was wondering what you guys thought of it. I like the modularity and the price (about 100 bucks). Has anyone hear used one of these?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
140 lbs is not an unbearable load with the proper pack on the shoulders of an experienced person in good condition. The pictured unit will work fine. You're not going to move very fast with it but a fit person can carry that amount for days.

When I was a game packer as a teenager, I used to carry an entire hind quarter from a bull moose 2 miles without much problem. You just need a comfortable, external frame and some knowledge of how to position your load. Being reasonably tall with long legs helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts