Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a Kel Tech SU-16CA.
I am wondering what the general experience with this rifle has been.

It has a plastic upper reciever I am sceptical of this, maybe my concerns are misplaced.

Let me know

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
I have the CA.

It is very light, is very reliable and the 'plastic' is actually reinforced and shows no signs of flex or wear.

It is plenty accurate however I added a red dot to make it easier even though I prefer irons in general.

For a lot of information go to,..

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=105

These guys are avid fans of the series and have made tons of easy to do mods for them. Lots of options to build up on or slim down with.

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you rapid fire it with a good sustain say 50 rounds in 10 minutes. does the plastic upper reciever melt?

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
No.

It is an AR bolt with an AK push rod. There is no gas in the chamber. I have seen people put more rounds through theirs quickly than I have. No issues with theirs.

The design is not as a battle rifle. The SU stands for Sport Utility. It is meant to be something you shoot when needed but not necessarily for 1,000's of rounds per day under stress.

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like I am anxing over nothing. I like the rifle as a whole and I think I will buy one I just don't want nasty suprises. I don't shoot my guns with kit gloves on I like to see what I can expect them to do.
I knew it had a piston but I never considered how much that would reduce the heat in the upper reciever.

You sound very pleased with it

Thanks

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
"Kid" Gloves :)

Yeah it is quite nice. Get a standard 3/16" (I think that is right) pin from the hardware store for the takedown and it becomes very easy to take down.

You will probably not use the bipod on it and a lot of people put on the compact forend or one of the custom forends you can buy on the site I posted above.

As for durability, you won't bayo anyone or butt strike with it. There are people with over 10,000 rounds and going through theirs. The barrel is pressed in and folks are worried about shooting it out. The CA's, all the new ones, are chrome lined. It is easy for folks to go through a ton of rounds without worry about it.

I have less than 1,000 through mine and there have been little to no issues. Only 1 time there was a problem and it was because I did not set the gas tube back in the notch. It let the whole firing assembly blast backwards. No issues to me or the gun. No big blast of gas or anything. Just went backwards.

This is the post I made right after getting mine.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1244682480/

I shoot far better with it now and with the red dot, I am holding under 2 MOA at 100 yards without much trouble offhand.

·
I am Defendor
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
overall it is a great backpack gun. It is one of the most lightweight centerfire semi-auto rifles I have seen.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
They take all standard AR mags. They come with (2) 10 round plastic mags that store in the stock. You can also opt to store (1) 30 round mag in the stock as well.

The 10 round plastic ones turn out to be pretty durable. Not combat ready of course, just durable and there are little to no issues reported on them. They are also very cheap.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,521 Posts
I also have the CA model. I bought it specifically to fill a need as my BOB gun. It fills that need better than my AKs or ARs do. The C models are more accurate than the A models, so that's a benefit, but I wanted the A model stock. Hence I bought the CA.

It has been 100% reliable for 6-7,000 rounds or so. The key to reliability in this design is the same as with the AR-15: good magazines.

Being a gunsmith, it's in my nature to tear things down and look for signs of wear or stress. Other than normal break in, I haven't seen any unusual wear in the SU-16. It looks like it has a lot more rounds remaining in it's life.

As to the polymer receiver, only time will tell, I guess. It looks to be a well engineered unit. But who knows how well the polymer will age in 20-30 years. I guess that's the same concern with polymer framed handguns, especially those like Ruger's P-97 where the slide runs against the polymer frame rather than a metal insert like the Glock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A good friend of mine has owned one for 4 years or so. Put about 5,000 rounds through it by now and the only complaint has been that it seems picky about ammo. It really hates silver bear fmjs, but runs great on gold bears? Recently my buddy added a 4x scope and when it's loaded with the right ammo, I must say its amazingly accurate for the price! (He got his years ago for about $400 new I believe.)

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the "C" model and it is an excellent truck gun. Takes all AR mags and is in 5.56. I don't use the bipod at all, but I don't really like the smaller forend. It actually points pretty good with the stock forearm. Haven't had a problem with mine at all.

·
Crazy Old Man
3,937 Posts
I bought one of these for my son a few years ago. I haven't had the pleasure of shooting it yet but he loves the "plastic fantastic".

People mock the round and the AR15 platform, I myself do not prefer them. But I don't think a design would last This long if bit were junk. I DID take the gas rod operation as a determining factor in purchasing the weapon. Reliability is its own reward when half a pound of trigger pull is all that's keeping you alive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts