Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/sub2000.html
I have one of these and if I find another used one for a good price I will pick it up. Given its weight and folding size it makes for a useful BOB or trunk gun and evne at the retreat a Bunker gun or someting for a scout to carry. Mine takes the Beretta 92 magazines but I understand I can order the parts for a few bucks to convert to other magazines. I have some aftermarket 30 round magazines that work and a couple of Berretta 20's as well. Since it will handle +P+ ammo I can get ballistics out of the carbine that actually excede a 357 Mag at 100 yards.
It can make a good addition to ones arsenal and used they are $100 to $150 less than a AR clone and on par with a SKS with a lighter weight and length they can be reloaded onehanded. In a urban situation they could prove handier.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
This looks interesting. I am looking for another firearm I can take on overnight hunting / camping trips. Something big enough to shoot with some accuracy at 50 yards.

Currently I am looking at the Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm. So I am wondering how reliable and accurate the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 is? Have you had yours out in the rain, sleet or snow? Or out on a hog hunting trip?

·
Oooo Crumbs!!!
348 Posts
the people I know are very happy with there sub-2000's. Some people don't like the sights but there nice little shooters.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Right now would have to drive to far for rain, sleet and snow:rolleyes:
Sleet and snow are rare event around here and we go years between just a day or two. In the woods I have had it but did not roll in the dirt heaviest set I have done is over 400 rounds. It is not tested like a AK but I did not get it for purposes that I would be. More a LEO type use for homestead defense or in a pack. Not much heavier than one of my 92's and more accurate at range in my experience.. Would do for hogs in Georgia but ours are mostly escaped dommestics out in your area you have those Javilens?
I see your point but it is mostly urban setting around here even at the retreat the wood have a heavy covering of pine straw and leaves dirt is or mud is not a major issue.
http://www.riflesnguns.com/node/955
Guns and ammo did a review on them a while back and had a favorable review. I have not found a companion for my 92's that is as light weight and storable also I got my for a very good price used and the Storm is very nice but a bit pricier.
As for accuracy it is quite good in my opinion much better than the 92's but it is a carbine. I have a Hi-Point 995 that has about a 1/2 tighter grouping at 75 yards went I shot them against each other.
The thing about the Kel-Tec is I carry mine in a padded computer case with 30 round and 20 round clips I cannot do tha twith many other longguns and I can shoot it one handed if need be. It is a much quick change out of mags like a pistol if need be.
There is a 1 inch stock extender I highly suggest and you can get mag change out kits to convert one to any of the other mags a Kel-Tec will take like th S&W.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looking For Glock 17 model sub 2000

I'm looking in Texas for someone who might want to part with a Sub 2000.leave me a message here or on my message board, Thanks!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
i had one up until a while ago once prices got crazy i sold it. its a nice gun but really i think the only thing it had going for it was the novelty of being able to fold up. as stated above my 995 shot better. if you have a lot of money to spend and want a gun that folds in half this is the one for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I have a Hi Point 995 in 9mm already, but with the sub 2000 I have the 33 round glock 17 mag capability that the 995 doesn't have. I ran into a really great deal on the '17 mags so I bought them, now I need the sub 2000 to make use of them. My wife has a glock 17, but also has 5 17 round mags for it.
The 995 only has the 10 round mags so I have to buy a couple more for it, this way I have 9mm rifles for my wife and granddaughter.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i wanted a sub-2000 when they were $300 and you couldnt find one anywhere here. now they are on the shelves at the gunshop and the price is $500 "on sale" im not gonna buy it for that price. im still not sure if having it in a backpack in NY would be legal or not.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I purchased a Keltec 2000 .40 cal when they came out years ago...I shot several hundred rounds thru it with all kinds of ammo never a problem...Mine used the Glock mags...I sold it a few months ago to a friend who wanted it.....Last time i checked at my local gun store in S.D. they were about $325.00..

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
all these pistol cal. rifles/carbines are really just a pistol with a long barrel. dont get me wrong they are great plinkers but end of the day its still shooting teh same round as a pistol. for teh money why not just buy an AK?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

I love mine...I picked up a stuby grip and flashlight for the quad rail. When we go out I just hang it on the roof hangers in the Xterra and off we go.

So far it's proven to be a good little gun. So far it's never failed me, and I modified my P89 mags to work with it also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wanted a sub-2000 for a good while.
I was excited when I found one reasonably priced.

After shooting about 100 rounds through it, I wasn't as happy.

It just 'felt' cheap is the best way to describe it. The plastic was not sturdy- it would pinch your hand sometimes where the seam was on the grip.

It was fairly accurate.
I have heard a couple of people say that the original k-9 was a much better carbine.

I sold mine. I just wasn't happy with it.
my .02

·
Registered
27 Posts
Buy an AK

I have an AK, in fact, I'm going to buy another, but this one is for my wife. It's not going to be c combat weapon,it's for use as a camp gun. I have a Hi-Point 995 9mm carbine for my daughter, my wife liked the way it fired, but didn't like the fact that it only had a 10 round magazine. so I found a real good deal on a gross of 33 round glock 17 mags and now I need the sub 2000 that takes glock 17 mags.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Any references or supporting data to this statement?

I sped most of my spare time on a shooting range all winter and slightly less during the summer. I volunteer as an RSO, I teach, train, practice and compete in USPSA, IDPA and 3 gun matches at the local, state, and regional level in Master class. I run about 20,000 rds a year from centerfire systems and stand arms length away from millions more. As an RSO, it's my job to monitor firearms and their users.

We see Kel-Tec's pretty regular and they are usually dismal failures, both the SU-16 and the pistol caliber carbines. The one competitive shooter who showed up with a Kel-Tec Carbine ata 3 Gun match, had it fold on him pretty quick and he wasn't helping it any, either.

An LCP came apart in my own presence and they seem to work only with ball and it's finicky no matter what you do.

The biggest issue I see with their long guns are light strikes, extraction stoppages and endless magazine issues. They digest a few rounds, and if that's all you need then more power to you. Some work, some dont. They do seem to have adequate accuracy but by no means are they a well built, reliable firearm.

Many companies are swinging toward volume sales instead of building quality merch. Granted, steel is expensive as is machining. Ergonomics and hand fitting cost money like everything else. They realize that most people simply don't shoot much, if at all. So they make firearms cheap (Ruger's LCP, LCR, SR9 and all of Kel-Tec's products) to sell lots of them.

As for the Beretta Storm, I don't especially like it. For me the levers and controls are all too close together and the bung-hole stock irritates me. However, I can put aside prejudice to say it's very shootable, solid, well made, designed specifically for Beretta pistol mags. I have run them side by side up against custom built AR's and it outperforms them in many respects, reliability chief among them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted a sub-2000 for a good while.
I was excited when I found one reasonably priced.

After shooting about 100 rounds through it, I wasn't as happy.

It just 'felt' cheap is the best way to describe it. The plastic was not sturdy- it would pinch your hand sometimes where the seam was on the grip.

It was fairly accurate.
I have heard a couple of people say that the original k-9 was a much better carbine.

I sold mine. I just wasn't happy with it.
my .02
I purchased my .40 S&W Kel Tec Sub 2000 in January 2010. I was very enthusiastic about the .40 S&W Caliber although don't own the same Caliber Handgun AT THIS TIME! Got to shoot the Sub 2000 yesterday. At 50 yards... BAM! Right on the money! Center of the little black dot in the center of the target... what would call that...er, a Bull's Eye? So, it doesn't feel even kinda close to my AR-15, a little bit too much recoil, open sights, blah, blah, blah! It gets the job done very well with both FMJ and JHP rounds, I got 2- 30 round magazines and function very well, probably shot about 1,000 rounds without a hitch. AND... it folds nicely into a little cordura attache. I was impressed, people around me were impressed with the size and caliber UNTIL I told them it was a Kel Tec (Snooty Shooters) and as far as reliable, that will take a few more sessions at the range. BUT so far it's been Great and I am very happy with my purchase. Next step: Go to the Gun Show in Abilene, Texas on Feb. 27 & 28 and see if I can find a nice .40 S&W Caliber Handgun... cause the Smith & Wesson Sigma Series feels cheaply made compared to the Kel Tec. Remember to Keep America Free with the Shooting Arts!

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
Any references or supporting data to this statement?
i personally dont like the idea of a gun that folds in half right by the receiver.....

not to mention its plastic/polymer parts.... And the mystery of how they made a carbine feel clunky and 'hollow' at the same time...

was just never the type of gun for me. I like all metal, like 1911's for hand guns and the auto-ordinance thompsons for the pistol cal rifles. While i do not have a semi auto thompson, that would be my dream team. Hard hittin .45 with the long term dependability of an all metal construction.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts