Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su16c.html
One of the biggest mistakes that some self proclaimed experts pontificate is that it is not rugged enough and will not hold up like thier custom AR. It is not supposed to and is not designed with pitched battles in mind. It is a light weight, portable, reliable semi-auto carbine that works well for defensive work and scouting. With its less than 5 pound weight and ability to shoot with the stock folded and 30 round detachable magazine capacity if makes a great Bug out carry long gun that easily fits into a pack or can be carried in a ready or marching position. It is also more affordable than most AR's and will use the same magazines and accessories for the most part.

·
Registered
566 Posts
most of the gun smiths i know wont work on the kel tec weapons. i was going to get one till they told me its just not durable.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just what do yo consider rugged enough?
You have not owned or shot one. You have not provided any information to support your claim the SU-16 is not reliable. At least have the gumption to cite a verifiable source of your self proclaimed expert opinion.

I have a question how is the 5.7x25 a practical survival round?
It definately is not a viable hunting round.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7_x_28_mm
There are are almost no useful practical firearms available for the cartridge and it is such a limited available ammo as to be impractical to aquire and resupply.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56_×_45_mm_NATO
The 5.56 Nato is a superior round for all purposes and can be readily found in quanity and is much more affordable in both firearms and ammo. There are not even any available reloading components for the cartridge.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I own the PLR-16, it is WAY more durable than an AR pistol, less parts, lighter weight, better gas system, the list goes on. I have had both and hands down the Kel-Tec has it everytime. My point is if I had the choice for long range only, I would take the Su-16 not the AR, but for CQB it is still the M4, or the Kel-Tec pistol.....:)

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
and before I forget, you 5.7 (.22) guys need to look at your ballistics, that round has the same general power as a .22 magnum loaded with a very superior bullet design, seems like you need to reconsider that as "survival" as no people I know in any department, Government etc have used that round with any kind of serious nature, I wonder why? because it was media hype, not round performance that they sold you. If anyone has a "5.7" sell it you have been sold a .22 magnum, "sheeple" seems to come to mind, (thanks kev)

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
I find it an interesting toy, and better then a rock.
I would make a neat "Pack" rifle, but not for $700.00.
If they start giving them away, I'll jump in line.
I'd rather have a Wal-Mart Combo Package Special, you know the ones.
30.06 syn stocked bolt action Winchester with a 3x9 weaver scope.
Not ideal, but makes a great, light wieght scout rifle, with some real hitting power.
and a lot less then $700.00
PS
30.06 is still available in AP also, and I saw some great deals on Greek mil-spec ball ammo.

Reactions: FrightenedWolfe

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read about the SU 16C for a few months now, seen a review by "Nutnfancy" on youtube, but never really saw one at any of the stores or shows. From what I read and viewed, they are reported to be fairly accuarte, chew anything they are fed and are a durable piston system. I does hold promise as a lightweight BOB system...They just don't exist in brick and mortar locations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love mine. Came across it cheap during a bad divorce a buddy was going through. Perfect for a BOB and or BOV. I've put atleast 3,000 rounds through it, unfortunately during this ammo recession I haven't been able to play with it as much. It's concealibility to firepower ratio is second to none for what I paid.

For those that aren't familiar with the SU-16's - The SU-16C is the only model that will fire with the stock folded. "C" stands for Charlie. There was an old saying a few years ago that "friends don't sell friends Kel-Tec's", I've found all of mine to be quite reliable.

·
Registered
241 Posts
most of the gun smiths i know wont work on the kel tec weapons. i was going to get one till they told me its just not durable.
I have heard the exact opposite, and have had no problems from my PLR 22 or P32. Plus they have a lifetime warranty so I don't see how you can go wrong.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am waiting on the SU-16A model I ordered to come in. I just want to scope it and try it at 300 yards for fun. It will take my ar mags and can compliments the other rifles I have. For us in MA it is very easy to get ahold of preban 30 round mags for the AR and use them in this rifle. We can't get any new hi cap magazines for any weapons. So I think for the $475 to $500 cost of the SU-16A is it a decent fun gun for the range that should be able to poke 300 yards plus with decent accuracy. I don't mind being a test mule for firearms sometimes. :thumb:

For me the plus side to the Alpha model is the 18.4" barrel as apposed to the 16" barrels in the other models. I know the sites are better on the B model but I planned on only scoping the A model.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mags fall out and forget shooting it sub zero temps!
Could you please post some more info on this. I knew there were some issues with the plastic magazines first shipped with the su-16s and kel-tec replaced all those for customers and also shipped all new guns with different mags. If you could provide other information regarding those problems that would be great. Or is this just an issue you came across?

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Could you please post some more info on this. I knew there were some issues with the plastic magazines first shipped with the su-16s and kel-tec replaced all those for customers and also shipped all new guns with different mags. If you could provide other information regarding those problems that would be great. Or is this just an issue you came across?
LOL. The mags are a nice tight fit. I don't think he's putting them in all the way. I had one fall out on me. That was before I shot it and learned to give it a little nudge when putting a magazine in so that the magazine is actually *IN* the rifle! :thumb:

·
Sell crazy someplace else
2,534 Posts
and before I forget, you 5.7 (.22) guys need to look at your ballistics, that round has the same general power as a .22 magnum loaded with a very superior bullet design, seems like you need to reconsider that as "survival" as no people I know in any department, Government etc have used that round with any kind of serious nature, I wonder why? because it was media hype, not round performance that they sold you. If anyone has a "5.7" sell it you have been sold a .22 magnum, "sheeple" seems to come to mind, (thanks kev)
Someone just killed 13 people with a 5.7.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts