Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping that someone might provide ideas for how to keep warm during winter months in a SHTF situation while living in an urban environment. Burning fireplaces would draw attention to you if you are trying to remain out of sight/out of mind. I am brainstorming how to best prepare for whatever lies ahead. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If you can get access to a propane tank large enough you can do a number of things. I don't know if you are in a house or an apartment. It makes a difference. Fuel is the big thing with heating. YOu have to have something to make heat. How efficient is you home? Can you seal off areas so you are only heating a minimal enclosure?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in a house that probably could be sealed. I'm just starting out, so I'm not too familiar with alternative heat sources.

@ Mr. Young-I want to be sure that my food wouldn't get frozen along with me :)

·
Super Moderator
12,380 Posts
If you want to just keep a few things from freezing, such as food and yourself, a Colman Black propane heater might work for you. It takes the 1# cylinders. It is what I have for just such a purpose. It's safe inside, if you take the least amount of care. You can bring in the cylinders in regular Wal-Mart grocery bag and no one the wiser. Seal off one room, except for adequate ventelation, and keep just it warm. Don't try to keep the entire apartment/house warm. Better yet, get a small tent and set up inside with the things you don't want to freeze inside and heat just it.

Kerosene heaters are another option, especially if you need to keep the bathroom from freezing. Read all safety precautions on any unvented heater you use inside.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Might want to consider Aladdin lamps. One lamp puts out about the same light as a 60 watt bulb and about 3500 BTU of heat, enough to heat a small room.
I've even seen a stand with cooking grid that you can slide it under so you can cook above it.
I also remember seeing an aluminum box fabricated which was inverted over the lamp, small vent holes in top. The guy who made it said it basically dimmed the light but helped capture the heat for the room. There was a youtube video but I can't seem to locate it at the moment.
The only down side is it uses around a gallon of lamp oil or kerosene every 50 hours.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! Good stuff. I'll have to research your suggestions. This is something that I know nothing about (born and raised in the city with nothing more than fireplaces and a furnace).

Thanks again!

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
find yourself two big fat mamas and slide in between them. no one else wants them so they will beg to come live with you. supplying the food they require will be hard, but that too will keep you warm. they do not give off VISIBLE fumes like a fire does.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
When our power went out last winter, we sectioned off the front room with a few blankets, and put on the space heater (1.5 pound coleman propane) my husband uses hunting in his blind. It worked really well. I figure that you could go thru 4 or 5 of those in a day. They cost about $2.50-$3.00 each.

Not a long term solution, only heated the one room.

I would like to know what we are going to do in a power outage when there is no gas to be found for the generator. Thats going to be a real problem .

I love being totally dependant on the grid dont you? (not laughing)

Too bad almost every home in america depends on central heating. I dont think most homes in the housing boom of the 40's and 50's even had fireplaces built in, i know mine doesnt.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
One thing that i find works wonders for heat even though it is actually very light and also water proof is gortex if you can find that. just a normal thin jacket of that and a couple pieces of clothing will keep you very warm when SHTF. I know from experience hiking in the mountains with it at 20 degrees it works great even oat night

1 - 20 of 61 Posts