Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i would load them about 5 short of full for long term loaded storage you dont want to wear out the springs inside the mags :thumb:

depending on how many are in your pistol mags if its a 15 rnd, i would hold out 3

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Do a search. I posted about my test and people 'voted'

BTW, due to the way ar's lock in, it's advisable to download them by 2 so that they lock in more positively.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I only have 10 rd mags so I fill them up. Other people I know down load their high caps by 1 in 10. Thus 20 rd mags carry 18 and 30 rd mags 27.

·
Registered
428 Posts
modern magazine springs should not take a set. i keep my mags for both my ar and ak as well as my carry pistol loaded and havnt noticed them taking a set after two years. now if your going to load them and not unload them for years on end then just rotate mags to keep them from taking a set and buy extra springs to replace them if they do.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
There was a previous post on this as someone stated earlier. In addition I have kept mine topped off for years without any issues.

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
I've got a question. Don't the cartridges change shape (become oval instead of round) when you keep them in the mag for too long?

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I've got a question. Don't the cartridges change shape (become oval instead of round) when you keep them in the mag for too long?
i think that would happen in shoutgun shells more than rifle shells. i would think sagia shotguns would have that problem if any was going to

sooner or later all springs will weaken, you probably wont notice them weakening until they close to failing.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
I keep my 15 round 9mm mags loaded with 10 each, my 30 round SKS mags loaded with 20, and my 20 round M1A mags loaded with 15.

I can top these off pretty quickly should the need arise.

·
Learning
6,703 Posts
I really don't think there is any problems leaving magazines full, I have done it and have never had any problems. I've also heard about 1911 magazines being found fully loaded from WWII and they still worked fine, granted I have not personally witnessed this so it is heresay.

So my advice is, go with what works with you, if you feel more comfortable carrying 27 rounds in a 30 round mag go ahead, personally I'll carry it full. If you feel you need to unload a magazine and reload it every month go ahead, personally I'll do it once a year with my defensive ammo.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Thanks for the article brew, it confirms what every gun expert has been saying and preaching for some time now,particularly about more modern technology and advances in metal strength. However ,my approach to this debate is to keep my 7 revolvers of various caliber,loaded at all times and leave all of my magazine fed firearms unloaded or lightly loaded, just to soothe my own personal reservations on the subject.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
I have first hand seen a spring in a tubular magazine give up, why I can't say, other than it did...It was in a mossberg 500 and the the mag spring didn't have enough ooomph to push the last shell onto the carrier...I generally agree with the notion that magazines can be kept fully loaded, with the caveat that there may be exceptions...

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
This afternoon, somebody told me that keeping your gun cocked is very bad too. Same story as with the spring of a mag. I got a hunch that it isn't true either.

·
Banned
630 Posts
My 1911 stays "cocked and locked"{condition One}I have carried my 1911 for many years, no problems.....with single column mags, I don't think there is a problem with keeping them loaded fully for an extended length of time, but I think in double column mags, it might be smart to change them out infrequently...
The reason I say this is because I have a measurable difference in my used sig 226,228, 229 mags as opposed to my new ones...there is definitely less tension in the used ones....

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Thanks for the article brew, it confirms what every gun expert has been saying and preaching for some time now,particularly about more modern technology and advances in metal strength. However ,my approach to this debate is to keep my 7 revolvers of various caliber,loaded at all times and leave all of my magazine fed firearms unloaded or lightly loaded, just to soothe my own personal reservations on the subject.

The article is almost as bad with the blanket statement that the springs will last forever. This is clearly NOT true at all. The critical piece left out of both sides of the argument is rust. The amount of rust needed to destroy a spring coil is minute and may never be easily seen. Rust begins at the tiniest level of particles and spreads though the weakest pieces much like a spider web inside the spring coil.

In the case where there is visible rust at any point in the surface. The spring is useless and will fail at a rate according to the volume of moisture in the air. And of course the spring stretchers always get into worse condition than when they started and this is a good portion of the myth.

Bottom line, break the mags down and examine them while cleaning the weapon. If rust or scale is on the spring anywhere discard it and replace with a new spring. If one is stored in cosmo,or grease and in a climate controlled storage with desiccant, check the springs no less than every 5 or so years. Loaded or not.

Bullet rotation is to stop the weakening of the cases, which is done by scoring the outside from movement. All duty mags that are in service, (even security guards) where they are exposed to constant movement should be emptied and the ammo mixed and reloaded every 30-45 days. The rotational scoring of the cases can cause broken cases with the heads separating. Not something to look forward to when the weapon is needed in a life or death situation.

Or just shoot the ammo and load fresh.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts