Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trapped a good amount of live killies, I am keeping them in a holding cage. I dropped a slice of bread in the cage, to let them have something to nibble on. Any idea what to put into keep them fed? I want to keep it going to fall, so I have live bait all year.

download (1).jpg

·
Deplorable
2,041 Posts
Fish food, cat food, corn, bread. Fish food would be best and most farm supplies stores carry pond food.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have trapped a good amount of live killies, I am keeping them in a holding cage. I dropped a slice of bread in the cage, to let them have something to nibble on. Any idea what to put into keep them fed? I want to keep it going to fall, so I have live bait all year.

View attachment 367352
Bread will do the job ?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I would use cat food of fish food .
Bread is not good for any one .
The bait guys don’t feed fish here ?
I try to keep herring but they don’t last long .
No need for food

·
Dirt Dweller
765 Posts
Bread will keep them from starving to death. But if you want to keep them till fall and presumably winter I’d go with the fish food. It should have 5he nourishments to keep them health and fresh for use as bait.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Good luck- I’ve never been able to keep any kind of minnow alive for long. Let us know how you do it if it works.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Really I had minnows in my fish tank at home and they would last a long time , months or maybe a year ?
If I used them for fishing and added more bait a lot they would get ek and I would have to start over with a clean tank and new fish .

·
Purposeful Prepper
1,748 Posts
For transparency I have no experience with this but why don't you find a used aquarium on eBay and keep them like pet fish? Just feed them fish food. Are these any different than aquarium fish?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
No they live fine in a fish tank
Mine where in a 150 gallon tank .
The bait would get soft in the tank and change color from silver to dark gray .
The herring I keep in a 30 gallon fiber glass cabelas bait tank .
It’s insulated with aerator but I needs a filter allso .
The bait store is a50 mile round trip for me so
I try to pickup bait on my way up Friday night
But the 30 bait died in about 12 hours ☹
The dam things are a buck a piece .

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,175 Posts
Throw old freezer burned bait in the bait keeper. I have a pretty good sized one my wife made out of PVC and 1/4" plastic fence netting. I keep it floating with pool noodles around the top. I can even keep some peanut bunker alive in there

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck- I’ve never been able to keep any kind of minnow alive for long. Let us know how you do it if it works.
I just got back I have them in a 5 gallon bucket with 3/8 holes drilled in it, hanging off my friends dock saltwater in a marina. They are doing well, they are gaining weight and vibrant. I recently went fishing
and caught a lot of striped bass, I froze all the waste heads guts spine I drop pieces of that in there.
Bread cat food so far they are good, I wish the fluke would show up, so I can use them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts