Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me, that many people do not have a realistic expectation of TEOTWAWKI. People on prepping forums are for ever purchasing more knives & gadgets. Some have a 42 hour or 72 hour bug-out bag. What makes them think this is the timeline? What if the situation lasts longer, then what do they do?

Guns are a biggie, all sorts of modern guns are coming out of the woodwork, but how do they expect to carry all that ammo & still be able to carry survival supplies? Compound bows are another choice, do you know the sorts of problems you can have with a compound bow in the bush! Can they repair their compounds & modern firearms? Are they going to carry reloading gear plus primers & lead?

In the majority of cases I get a strong feeling that this is just a game for them, a "what if" situation that they really do not expect to happen. And this is okay, so long as they are not kidding themselves & recommending to newbies gear that will let them down in a long term wilderness survival situation.

This should not be about battening knives to split wood, this should not be about a military operation & getting into firefights. This should be about survival, plain & simple. The skills & equipment you need if you have to bug-out & survive long term in a wilderness situation.
Just my opinion & something to think about.
Keith.

·
Registered
151 Posts
until nat geo or AMC make a series that doesnt depict surviving a financial collapse by storing bulk ammo and gadgets, or zombie appocalpyse, these forums will be full of dream time wankers and not real wilderness surival realist.
just have to accept the 99% of " do you feel the darkness coming" threads and pay attention to the 1% of useful infomation.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Depends Nightwind.

Why the Emphasis on wilderness?

There will be heaps of bits of civilization nearly everywhere you look!

Salvage most everywhere! yet not a mention on your site
It depends on the situation. In a real SHTF situation, cities would not be a safe place to live. The gangs will take over. Towns will also likely be hit by raiding parties. The only relatively safe place will be out bush.
Farms will also likely be hit, but people will be better off if they own their land & are fully self-sufficient in times of financial crisis.
Well I would not mention this on my site anyway Nightwind, it is an 18th century Living History site.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/survival.html

Regards, Keith.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It seems to me, that many people do not have a realistic expectation of TEOTWAWKI. People on prepping forums are for ever purchasing more knives & gadgets. Some have a 42 hour or 72 hour bug-out bag. What makes them think this is the timeline? What if the situation lasts longer, then what do they do?

Guns are a biggie, all sorts of modern guns are coming out of the woodwork, but how do they expect to carry all that ammo & still be able to carry survival supplies? Compound bows are another choice, do you know the sorts of problems you can have with a compound bow in the bush! Can they repair their compounds & modern firearms? Are they going to carry reloading gear plus primers & lead?

In the majority of cases I get a strong feeling that this is just a game for them, a "what if" situation that they really do not expect to happen. And this is okay, so long as they are not kidding themselves & recommending to newbies gear that will let them down in a long term wilderness survival situation.

This should not be about battening knives to split wood, this should not be about a military operation & getting into firefights. This should be about survival, plain & simple. The skills & equipment you need if you have to bug-out & survive long term in a wilderness situation.
Just my opinion & something to think about.
Keith.
I completely agree with most of what you've said here and I'm happy to see it said. I am fairly new to emergency preparedness and survivalism, but I have learned things here and there for many years and used to spend my summers hiking and living outside (without all the cool gadgets haha). Now that I'm getting more serious in learning how to survive in SHTF situations I'm finding that the people I thought I may end up being able to lean on (pulling a few of us together who have different skill sets to help each other survive) I'm realizing are more into watching Doomsday Preppers and figuring out which backpack looks the best than actually PREPARING. I see them pinning their plans on Pinterest and all I can think about is that the safer thing to do would be to NOT post all of your ideas online, especially where friends and family can see them -- you never really know who may come and try to raid you or try and live off you in these situations. Anyway long comment just to basically say that I agree and hoping to be able to find some more good information on the boards here, just joined up yesterday.

ETA:
I do also agree with the person who has brought up salvage. I think that there will be lots of bits of civilization left (at least for a while) that we can use to survive, but in the end we should always have the skills to live completely off the wilderness...or at the very least teach it to our children in the situation of things not getting better and those bits of civilization being so gone that they will have to live off the wilderness themselves.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Knives are the biggest wank out there. How any one can justify spending the type of money some of these knives are worth is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a self confessed knife nut, but its a hobby and I don't fool myself that ill be doomed if I was to go out bush with any less than 5 expensive knife or some such rubbish that blokes crap on about. Learn how to sharpen a knife and you will find that any old $10 knife will do just about anything that needs doing if need be. I have started 100's of fires and never used a knife once, here is a crazy idear, instead of battoning your knife through a log, find some small dry sticks. In the past I have skinned and processed roos and sheep with a variety knives from small pocket knives with about a 2 inch blade to cheap and nasty fishing knives that sell for about $5. Reckon I could skin a cow with a razor blade or a piece of broken glass if I had. Learn the skill rather than buy the toys

·
Registered
814 Posts
No one is CORRECT, and everyone is CORRECT….bottom line NO ONE knows what the landscape will be…..we have to make our own priorities and then be held accountable if and when that day comes. You might just live or die by your choice. Personally I WILL NOT impose my value system on others (except for anyone who may/may not be involved in my plans/planning if I have any).

I make a VERY concerted effort not TO JUDGE others priorities we biases, perhaps yours is too early man's historical survival skills (from what someone else said), personally I don't care, your choice….I think as always the truth lies somewhere in between ALL of our assessments of what the landscape will be…….I possess some of ALOT of all skills, techniques and knowledge…I hope it would serve me well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
\Personally I WILL NOT impose my value system on others.
For me, I want to help other survive. So while I won't impose my value system, I think it's good to be vocal. When a friend (who I had previously hoped would be an asset) was more worried about buying cute backpacks than saving water...I said something. I brought her into the reality of the potential situation. While I would never judge her choices in what she feels is necessary to have in her BOB, I will definitely give her my two cents when she has no set plan for storing or filtering water. Water is no matter of terrain though, obviously.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First of all I would like to say that I did not consider that I was imposing my values on anyone. The purpose of my post was to influence others to take a long hard look at their expectations & preparations.
Secondly although I am indeed a primitive skills instructor & 18th century Living Historian, that does not mean that I shun modern gear. Modern medical supplies for instance are high on my list, so is the odd breech-loading firearm. But I will not be relying on modern equipment long term, & I will not load myself down with modern gear at the expense of leaving tried & true primitive tools behind.
Thirdly I think that anyone who was to stay in the city after a major SHTF situation will be taking a great risk, & worse, risking the lives of their family. I think it is also a mistake to rely on neighbours & other untried people. They can break down, make bad decisions, turn against you & put your life & the lives of others in jeopardy.
City gangs will do whatever it takes to get what you have, & if they can't get it, they will make sure no one else does. They will burn you to the ground. Do not overestimate yourself, & do not underestimate your enemy.
Let me also say that I don't really expect anything major to happen in my life time, except maybe a financial crisis. In which case those who OWN their own land & are self-reliant, will be ahead of the game. But at the same time there are things happening out there over which we have no control. Sink holes, earthquakes, poisoned waters, China posing a threat to India, etc etc. Which is why we are who & what we are. We are preparing for anything & everything. I just hope you are preparing well.
Regards, Keith.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
When you see the chaos in Egypt. They consistently start up neighborhood watch groups, whenever they begin having the reoccurring violence in the streets. I think this would be the common denominator in many areas of the USA in a shtf world. Another good reason to stock a few extra firearms and ammo, to loan to your neighbors, when you have to watch each others back.

·
Winter is coming.
2,898 Posts
Le Loup.

What event do you invisage that could turn every major city and town into a living hell of rampant gang violence? What event do you foresee lasting for decades? If whole cities are destroyed why would the bush be spared? If you're thinking all out global nuclear war then the fallout would poison vast areas of the wilderness too.

Some areas no doubt would get pretty wild if law and order broke down, but what about normal people? You think every tradie, ambulance driver, teacher, lawyer, policeman, soldier, housewife is going to suddenly give up on civilisation? These people have children they need to protect.

The only real way to do this viably is to do so as a community like it has always been done... even in the 18th century.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
turn of the oil or electricity and there would be blood in the streets. A this could be done from any of a number of things to long to list. The earth has hicuped in the past and changed itself suddenly and will do so again. Nuke war in northern hemisphere might leave us relatively free of high levels of fall out but may cause our society to collapse. Global disease pandmick could do it.

·
Winter is coming.
2,898 Posts
Life would become crap no doubt, but food will still be produced in rural areas (albeit less) and farmers will still want to sell/trade their produce to those in the towns. People will still need to trade skills to get food. Government will still want to maintain law and order and most people will support its efforts.

Even in the most war torn countries in the world a semblence of community remains. Be it a refugee camp, bombed out city, war lord controlled town or whatever. Total anarchy just doesnt occur often and when it does it only lasts a short time before the power vacuum is filled.

The post apocalyptic wasteland full of raider gangs is a fantasy.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Dark ages lasted for 100's of years after the collapse of the roman empire. Any of the worlds disarsters since then have been localized and other areas have been able to aid, rebuild or concor the area in question, but if it was a world wide disarster with a horrific death toll in the worlds cities I there will be no help comeing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.