Survivalist Forum banner

Keeping a wild boar hog in a pen

9K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Houndhunter 
#1 ·
Its post SHTF, you and your family need something to eat, so the yall head out to a local river. The dogs are let loose, a few minutes later the dogs corner up a 200 pound boar hog.

The boar hog is loaded in the boat and brought back home.

A pen is hastily assembled out of whatever materials you can find.

The boar hog is put in the hen, and the leg ties taken off. Since the pen is made out of fence, the boar hog rams the fence, breaks the wire loose, then the hog runs off.

Sounds unlikely? Well, that is what happened when my son-in-law boar a boar hog home.

In this case the dogs were waiting outside the pen in case the hog got out.

Keep in mind this is not a friendly domesticated hog, this is a wild boar hog that will use its tusk to tear flesh off the bone.

The dogs caught the hog, and the hog was put into a stronger pen.

Lessons learned, wild hogs are less likely to run into the side of the pen if there is something blocking the hogs view. In other words, if the hog can not see what is on the other side, chances are the hog will not ram the side of the pen.

Hogs are stronger then they look. All it took was one hit to the fence for the wire to tear loose.

So what happens next

The wild boar hog will have its nuts removed. This will improve the taste of the meat. Commercial pork processors remove the nuts from male piglets. Most people who eat pork do not know it.

The wild boar hog will be kept in the pen and fattened up for a few weeks, maybe a couple of months.

The hog will then be processed.

Youtube comments

Its amazing how many hateful comments this video received on youtube.

See less See more
#2 ·
Many Americans have no idea where their meat comes from in the first place. It just seems to magically show up in the store, plasti-wrapped on styrofoam rectangles.

A YouTube video showing a slaughterhouse and meat-packing plant would elicit the same sort of horrified reaction.

Ignorance is bliss.

#3 ·
If you have electric a single strand of wire snout high will save a lot of wear and tear on your fence. Has to be low enough they can't crawl under it, jumping is not a consideration. Should be checked out by a vet, one of our problems was getting diseases carried by feral pens vising our domestic pigs to eat and breed. Swine brucellosis is our biggest problem but they also carry pseudorabies. Don't know about where you are but here it's illegal to pen a feral hog without a permit so you might want to check that out too.

#4 ·
Haha loved it my husband is a pig hunter and he brought home a wild piglet and even the babies are fiesty she made so much noise. We have wild pork alot and there are some great cook books out their showing different ways to cook the meat. Just saying if it was a shtf situation we would just kill it then cure and smoke the meat as they make so much noise would hate to draw attention to ourselves. Im going to show him your clip when he gets home thanks for shareing :)

#5 ·
Growing up in NE Texas and later living in SE Oklahoma, I have hunted and caught lots of hogs. You are right in wanting to castrate him. Wives tend to get pretty owly when frying meat from a boar stinks up the kitchen.

They dont call those hogs "piney rooters" for nothings. One thing that will definetely help, and I even do it on domestic breeds nowadays on the hogs I feed out, is to put rings in their nose. Hog rings are different than those put on bulls in that they dont go thru the center cartilage. Hog rings are like those alot of kids wear. They go thru the side of the nostril. Even on domestic breeds I will put up to 10 rings on them. They are cheap, easy to put in and work. They will keep a hog from rooting and trying to get out. If they are in a pen being fed they have no reason to root, but will just because it is their nature.

Tex

#7 ·
My next door neighbors did this years ago but being crazy ******** they leashed the pig with welded logging chain to a 10 foot length of well casing hammered into the ground. They had the pig back there for about a week and their backyard look like an artillery range when they finally slaughtered that thing. Tasted good though. On the other hand back then you could drive out to monroe station and buy a wild pig steak dinner for $7.

#8 ·
Keep in mind castrating at 200 lbs isn't reliable for eliminating boar taint. If you keep him long enough it'll improve your chances a lot but there's still a strong chance of taint.

Biggest boar I ever castrated was about 180, dad and I "happened" to have one arranged the day my sister brought her boyfriend home from college. I already knew him but he met dad just as the nuts hit the snow between his feet

#9 ·
LOL!!! Love it. Been there done that. I worked on a 1 acre hog lot for a month on time. I thought that I had it all "buttoned" up but, as soon as we turned out 3 shoalts they were out before I got the gate closed. Our laws are so strick now that we can't have a "wild looking hog".

Good dogs too by the way. The red dog kept after it even after gettin thrown for a NICE flip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.