Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started prepping last year and now I am happy that I have. Yesterday my county (Johnson Co Kansas) was put under a boil advisory. People scrambled to buy all the water they could. I went downstairs and got one of my 7 gallon Aquatainers. I didnt treat the water when I put it in 6 months ago. When I poured the water there was some "flakes" of something floating in the water. I looked inside the jug, the water was clear but there was some "stuff" on the bottom of the jug. Any suggestions? Looks like I need to buy a berkey also!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I am a little confused... FEMA states that you do not need to treat water coming from the faucet if you are going to store it because it already has chlorine in it. If I have algae growth I guess this means I should have treated it when storing? Should I have put bleach in each container? Thanks for the quick reply.

PS.. I have 10 of those jugs and looked in the others. They all look nice and clear except 1 jug had some stuff swirling on top.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Algae won't show up as flakes.
Very true. Our water in Johnson county is rather hard, but I cannot figure out why only one jug would have flakes.

Perhaps the jug was not as clean as the store would have you believe?

I KNOW I should store water, but I haven't because life is turbulent. So, I boiled water and made some of it into a pitcher of ice tea, and the rest is still in a pan for when it is needed.

I NEED! to get organized enough to clear off some shelves for water: I am suffering from water envy!:eek:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Could be calcium.

Try freezing some fresh tap water (make ice cubes) then melt some in a glass of fresh tap water. See if you have the flakes then.

Calcium flakes are harmless.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,581 Posts
Probably sediment from the pipes. I have that problem here too because of the hard water. As the others mentioned, calcium is the most likely cause. I wouldn't worry about it. You might add a little extra chlorine before you store it, just to be safe. But generally tap water is ok to store as it is.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Gotta agree with either the calcium speculation, or that you had some
residual debris in the water containers from when they were new. Is this
the first time you've filled them? Did you rinse them out before using them?

I always rinse out any new containers with a haphazard bleach / water
solution before I fill them for storage. Probably made in China, shipped over
on a boat, mitten-grabbed by who knows how many people on their way
to the store, not to mention who's had their fingers in them while they've
sat on the shelf. A little sterilization seems a reasonable precaution.

(I'm in the Johnson County area also). Many (most?) public water supplies
add calcium to their water. It helps to plug up small pin-hole leaks in the
system.

The suspended calcium is easier to spot in hot water. Fill up a clear glass
with hot water from the tap, and hold it up to the light. You'll see plenty
of suspended solids.

I always add a shot of bleach (~ 8 drops per gallon) to my stored water
supplies. Then I dump and refill them once a year. They always still have
a residual chlorine smell when I dump then, which I take to be a good sign.
Maybe overkill, but bleach is cheap.

·
119 Posts
I'm in JoCo to, but we keep about 5 extra "flats" of water from Costco on hand (outside of preps) and rotate through that as needed. We normally don't drink the tap water, I don't trust it.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,581 Posts
I'm in JoCo to, but we keep about 5 extra "flats" of water from Costco on hand (outside of preps) and rotate through that as needed. We normally don't drink the tap water, I don't trust it.
I filter my tap water. It's the bottled water I don't trust. The only time I ever use any is if I'm away from the house and I get thirsty. I have been known to grab a bottle at a convenience store or from a vending machine. But I try to avoid that if possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts