Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 10'6' kayak and immediately thought to put a survival kit in it. The problem is, Im not sure what I should include in a survival kit that is meant to be in a boat, risk the chance of possibly getting submerged in water, and still have no problem functioning. So if anybody else has a kayak and has a survival kit in it, let me know what you do.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
An avid kayaker for years. My survival kit is kept in one of the pockets of my PFD and is designed for forest. It's kept in a waterproof container, and contains most of the 10 essentials. Some other items kept in PFD pockets are for water rescue include flares, whistle, water ink, strobe light, and mirror.

In the kayak itself I keep a 30L drypack with straps (can be worn as a pack). Inside is extra food, spare set of clothes and some decent hiking shoes (I wear kayak shoes while in kayak and aren't great for long distance trekking).

Keeping a map in your PFD or on person, plus on the top of your kayak helps a lot as well.

Main reasoning for all this is, should I roll (and this has happend more then once) and i have to ditch the kayak I still have the basics in my PFD. If i'm able to get to the kayak or if it comes out and floats like it's suppose to I can get to my drysack for more items. This has happend when I hit a cross current and rolled, as I came to the surface my kayak had taken on enough water that it sank right there. Was lucky enough to be near the river's edge and water wasn't to deep that i couldn't pull the kayak along the bottom to the edge to eventually bail it out. Used items in PFD to get a fire going, and eventually put on some dry clothes.

Anywho hopes this helps, and good luck on trips. Kayaking is a wonderful sport.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I have a old perception mirage,from the 80s. I keep it full of air bags for flotation, but I could shove a few butt packs in the aft for gear and was thinking at one time about a external water proof bag, maybe 5 gal. size. I cant imagine needing much, being close to the water will cut down the search time a lot If you came up missing or late to check in.

lets see a pic of your yak.

·
Bayonet Diplomat
63 Posts
Best keep a survival kit on your person.

Hey Guardian!

Given that it's not improbable that a situation that would have you requiring your survival kit might also have you separated from your kayak, it's a best practice to keep your critical survival kit items on your person.

-PFD pockets
-around your neck (whistle, but nothing too heavy)
-in pants pockets / cargo pockets

I recommend against using your jacket pockets, because it's another layer you might take off.

Critical survival kit:

-first aid kit (small and focussed on expected injuries)
-signalling (whistle, cellphone, signal mirror)
-shelter (heavy duty trash bags, lightweight poncho, warm clothing layers)
-fire (3 ways in 3 different locations: lighter, ferro rod, matches)
-water (container and purification)
-knife (swiss army knife, leatherman, small neck knife)

Important survival kit:

-food (to eat and ability to get food)
-navigation (map and compass with backup button compass)
-tool & snare making (spare knife, multitool, folding saw, etc.)

Of course, depending upon the location, season and weather, your might have to adjust your critical kit accordingly.

Here's an excellent site for reading:

http://www.roguepaddler.com/index.htm

Hope that helps a bit, sir!

Kurt.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Not to derail or anything, but could you kayak survival guys tell me what a fair price for a Nantucket kayak, fiberglass I believe, approximately 10ft would be in good shape - has a rudder as well. Have no idea and had a friend give me two of them. Thanks.

Interesting topic - maybe I should keep them.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
I'm afraid I don't know the price on those as I'm not familiar very well with Nantuckets. But I'd figure they would be around 600-1,000 probably. Could be more could be less, again not really sure. But if you don't want them I'll be glad to take them off your hands for free :)

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Dang it you guys...you had to go and do it.

I have not been kayaking in decades. I miss it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.